Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *CORMACK* !LOOK! ?any connection??

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie_2 View Post
    Quillen -are these parents from an 1890 death record for Mary Anne Campbell/Mowat?

I would accept that as proof although I felt that it was the William Campbell and Mary Moss one.

Just an aside though Iverach- has connections to Reay and Durness/Farr in Sutherland.
    There are branches of Mckay's with Iverach and Abrach bynames. I think that is one reason I chose the daughter of Mary Moss as the correct one.

I will research the other one as far as I can go without spending additional money lol. I am poor at the moment.

Maryann
    Maryann I had a new distant cousin find me from this form she sent me an email and writes this "All your Cormack research tallies with mine except with regards to Mary Ann Campbell (later Mrs. William Mowat). I too made the assumption that she was the daughter of William Campbell and Mary Moss but she was in fact the daughter of William Campbell (fisherman) and Catherine Cameron. I got this information from her death certificate ( I used the Scotlandpeople site for my research). She died on 15th July 1890 at Olrig. As you know at the time of her birth there were no certificates just baptisms. I looked this up using her parents names and she was born on 5th October 1827 to William Campbell and Catherine Cameron and was known on the baptism certificate as Margaret. You will also have learned that nothing is as it seems! The same names crop up again and again and sometimes the baptism name does not quite tally with the "known by" name. She had a brother John born in 1826. William Campbell and Catherine Cameron were married in Reay in 1824. Too many William Campbells in Reay!"
    ~ Cormack ~ Chalmers ~ Campbell ~ Brotchie ~ Geddes ~ McGuire ~ Mowat ~ Peddie ~ Sinclair
    http://cormackfamily.tribalpages.com/

Mary Ann's death certificate states that her parents were William Campbell (fisherman) and Catherine Cameron, but I have not found her birth as yet . Census records states that she was born in Caithness, Reay parish. When I was checking the census entries, I could not find the family in Caithness in 1861, but in 1871 they were at the Mains of Olrig, with 5 additional children ! Catherine - 14 yrs and Donald 12 both born at Lochalsh in Ross shire, and Janet age 10, Sarah age 7, John age 5 and Mary Ann age 1 all born in Olrig.

1841 a Mary Ann Campbell age 15 was a female servant at Sandside House in Reay. Her given age throughout the census has been consistent with a birth year of the latter part of 1825 or prior to July 1826.

I have found the marriage of William and Catherine 12 March 1824, but GROS only has records of Margaret born 5 Oct 1827 and John 19th August 1826. Not every birth was registered for reasons that we will never know. I have the film of Reay baptisms but they are not transcribed and I don't have my microfiche machine at the moment so can't look at the original data. I have moved home but won't be settled in my new home till around Xmas.
    Remind me early next year and I will dig out the film and hopefully get the answer to Mary Ann date of birth !

Rosemary

Well I might accept William Campbell and Catherine Cameron as the IGI does have a Marion Campbell born to the above couple who married in Reay in 1824.

Marion was christened Feb 10 1825 in REAY though. She had two siblings born in Reay
    Margaret 1827 and John 1826.
    This could easily have been changed to Mary Anne over time.

There is a member submission for Mary Ann born 1826 at Borgie died 1890 but I would use the transcription first before accepting the member submission.

Rosemary might be able to confirm that it was in Reay and that there is or isn't any entry for Olrig that fits.

I certainly haven't found any evidence that would prove it couldn't be Marion.

Mamie

Default Mary Ann/Margaret Campbell

When son William was registered in Thurso Parish, his mother's name was given as Margaret. I looked back at the OPR's today and that is what I found. So can we now say that Margaret Campbell and Mary Ann Campbell is one person ? I think so.

Rosemary

Default so who is Marion??

Marion 1825 = Margaret 1827=Mary Anne who married William Mowat?

I think Margaret is a separate person from Marion who is more likely to be Mary Anne
    ch Feb 10 1825(on the IGI on the same film as Margaret 1827 and John 1826) and quite consistent with her age in the censuses.

parents are listed as Willm. Campbell and Catherine Cameron.

I think Margaret was with her uncles Hugh, Angus and an aunt Christy in Melvich and still unmarried in 1871.

So is it Margaret or Marion or Mary Ann? hmmm

Mamie

Default 1841 and 1861 census

I think William Mowat and Mary Ann are in Kirkton, Farr at Rhifail where William was a ploughman.

I actually think the Mary Ann at Sandside might more likely be the d/o of William and Mary Moss. Their 3rd son was ch William Innes Campbell. Naming a child to honour the local proprietor seems reasonable to me.

Need to check maps for the relative locations of Fresgoe, Sandside and Melvich lol.

Mamie

Marion 1825 = Margaret 1827=Mary Anne who married William Mowat?

I think Margaret is a separate person from Marion who is more likely to be Mary Anne
    ch Feb 10 1825(on the IGI on the same film as Margaret 1827 and John 1826) and quite consistent with her age in the censuses.

parents are listed as Willm. Campbell and Catherine Cameron.

I think Margaret was with her uncles Hugh, Angus and an aunt Christy in Melvich and still unmarried in 1871.

So is it Margaret or Marion or Mary Ann? hmmm

Mamie
    I believe Margaret b. 1827 is my Mary Ann maybe did Marion die before 1827? they like to use the names over maybe with a variation?
    ~ Cormack ~ Chalmers ~ Campbell ~ Brotchie ~ Geddes ~ McGuire ~ Mowat ~ Peddie ~ Sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary Skea View Post
    Do you know where the Ivrach (Iverach) connection comes from ? I have lots of info on the Caithness Iverach families as my great grand aunt married an Iverach.

Rosemary
    Yes I do! mystery has been solved. My gran dads birth cert was amended to show the middle names which came from the minister. It states Rev. J. Iverach Munro minister of Cannisbay Free Church. I had found an article on how the naming process was done and it said that sometimes they used the Rev. or minister that baptized the baby name. My gran dad was a little disillusioned with the churches of his time he felt the people to be narrow minded and claimed he was an agnostic. It's kinda funny his middle name be that of the Reverand.

Katharine Cameron was baptised on 25th April 1681 - I transcribed the mother's name as Christian Iverach , residence given as Dorrary. No witnesses to the baptism

Rosemary

Default Marion vs Margaret

Yes Marion could have died but then I still think Margaret is alive in 1871 and unmarried
    I think she is still in Melvich in 1881 as well as 1891 with her Cameron aunts and uncles and recorded in Farr in 1901 with uncles Angus and Hugh in the Strathy district( so probably still in Melvich). In all the censuses this Margaret Campbell comes up born c 1827/8 in Reay. To confirm we need to check for a death for this Margaret Campbell which ought to tell us who her parents were.

The other Margaret Campbell born in 1827 did not have Cameron connections.

I think Marion is Mary Ann but I could be wrong.

Mamie
    Last edited by Mamie_2; 26-Nov-09 at 15:26. Reason: additional suggestion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12