Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Obsession" with expenditure on Gaelic.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I know they're not in the majority but they are a substantial minority. Would you only accept a Gaelic school if they were the majority?
    Yes - if it was to be a state funded school. Even those Gaelic speakers on Skye also speak English, so there is no need for special Gaelic medium schools to be provided by the state. If we were talking about state funded Polish medium schools, no one would support them because everyone would expect Polish children to learn English in order to communicate with the rest of us.

This is still all down to personal choice, rather than necessity. If Gaelic were the only language of the people on Skye, that would be a different matter, but it isn't - they all speak English.
    If at first you don't succeed...................

....erase all evidence that you even tried

When I was growing up in Glasgow I went to a Prodi school and you were expected to "dislike" the ones that went to the catholic schools.

There's a similar divide over here between gaelic and non gaelic schools and if the "extra preverential" treatment continues it will be them that has and them that doesnt.

"gaelic gets everything" is a favourite war cry over here.

Crayola all we ask is that in times of educational cutbacks why give gaelic extra money?
    The Capital expenditure comes from central budget but the "running" costs will not .
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I know they're not in the majority but they are a substantial minority. Would you only accept a Gaelic school if they were the majority?
    I think you will find, looking at census statistics, it is not a substantial minority and even less are fluent or anything like it in gaelic.

Hc are now in the process of looking at potential sites to build this new school in Portree.

They will have to chose a greenfield site or the "community land" on the new build up Home Farm thats suppose to be for the "majority" to "build" a community facility.
    The Free Church were suppose to be building there but as yet no progress.
    Our dentist is havent to relocated to the old tennis courts in bayfield and the school dentist is having to come out of the hospital as the Health Board are determined to remove the services fom our local hospital....which they're determined to close....but we'll get a brand new gaelic school.

I looking forwarrd to reading the Free Press today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    I think you will find, looking at census statistics, it is not a substantial minority and even less are fluent or anything like it in gaelic.
    As always, it's easy to put different slants on census figures but I did check them before I posted. The 2001 census reports that circa 40% of the population of Skye claimed to be able to read, write or speak some Gaelic. I would call that a substantial minority.

Statistical semantics aside, I do share your concern about the fluency of many of those claiming to have the Gaelic. I can quite reasonably claim some reading ability in at least a couple of European languages that I am totally unable to speak or write in, but there's no way I would be fit for education in either of them.
    Last edited by crayola; 27-Aug-09 at 22:58.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    Hc are now in the process of looking at potential sites to build this new school in Portree.

They will have to chose a greenfield site or the "community land" on the new build up Home Farm thats suppose to be for the "majority" to "build" a community facility.
    The Free Church were suppose to be building there but as yet no progress.
    Our dentist is havent to relocated to the old tennis courts in bayfield and the school dentist is having to come out of the hospital as the Health Board are determined to remove the services fom our local hospital....which they're determined to close....but we'll get a brand new gaelic school.

I looking forwarrd to reading the Free Press today.
    Cuddlepop, I wonder if you could help paint a picture of education on Skye for those of us that aren't resident there.

I'd like to know how many primary schools there are, where are they are situated, whether they are in dire need of upgrading, and how many children attend each one.

Similarly for high school provision.

I can probably find most of this information on the internet but it would be interesting to read your perceptions of the situation.

Also, what percentage of the population would you estimate can hold a simple face to face conversation in Gaelic? I'm not looking for true literacy or fluency, just an ability to understand and speak some Gaelic in everyday situations.

Thanks,
    C x
    Last edited by crayola; 27-Aug-09 at 09:37.

As always, it's easy to put different slants on census figures but I did check them before I posted. The 2001 census reports that circa 40% of the population of Skye claimed to be able to read, write or speak some Gaelic. I would call that a substantial majority.

Statistical semantics aside, I do share your concern about the fluency of many of those claiming to have the Gaelic. I can quite reasonably claim some reading ability in at least a couple of European languages that I am totally unable to speak or write in, and there's no way I would be fit for education in either of them.
    40% is not a majority, it would be a substantial minority. The remaining 60% would be the majority surely ?.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    40% is not a majority, it would be a substantial minority. The remaining 60% would be the majority surely ?.
    Oops, I meant minority. Thanks, C x

if Scotland got it's independence from the rest of the Uk, and had to join the EC as a separate entity, would someone stand a better chance of a job over there if they could speak Gaelic or English...I somehow doubt it...
    Keep it country

Cuddlepop, I wonder if you could help paint a picture of education on Skye for those of us that aren't resident there.

I'd like to know how many primary schools there are, where are they are situated, whether they are in dire need of upgrading, and how many children attend each one.

Similarly for high school provision.

I can probably find most of this information on the internet but it would be interesting to read your perceptions of the situation.

Also, what percentage of the population would you estimate can hold a simple face to face conversation in Gaelic? I'm not looking for true literacy or fluency, just an ability to understand and speak some Gaelic in everyday situations.

Thanks,
    C x
    I can tell you is that there is one high school in Portree which is a brand new build.
    The primary in Portree is in good condition and well kept.Havent been in anyother school apart from Uig which is earmarked for closuer so dont think I can.comment.
    I dont mix in the gaelic "sector" so couldnt inform you of fluency but like I said before,no one speaks it at the school gates.
    Older people when the want a "private" conversation revert back to the gaelic though.

I predict all rural schold within a certain area will be closed and kids bused to Portree as afterall what will they do with a half empty school, it will still need heated.

Thanks cuddlepop, I'll find all the other information and the numbers from the internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12