Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drivers Beware....

Out of interest, when you get points for speeding, how long before they are cleared off your license?
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    Out of interest, when you get points for speeding, how long before they are cleared off your license?
    4 years, and it will cost you £19.00

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late
    4 years, and it will cost you £19.00
    Thanks 2little2late....
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Well I'm sure there are plenty of pensioners who would see the flaws in your thinking just as I'm sure the parents of a child knocked down and killed by a speeding motorist on the outskirts of Wick would see the flaws.

Put up signs to warn that there is a speed camera, park a big van with pictures of a camera on it in full view in the layby, everyone pass the word on that there is a speed camera outside Wick then as cars round the corner by the "Wick Retail Park" they will be travelling at a safe speed and a child crossing the road might be saved.

Don't put up the signs, hide the camera, everyone keep quiet about it and the police pull in some revenue from speeding fines but you still get cars hitting Wick at an unsafe speed and a child crossing the road could be killed.
    There were more children killed by motor vehicles in 1922 than were killed last year by motor vehicles.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Fran,
    I hope you are following all this!!!!!

I would like to hear from some of the drivers who do habitually speed but see nothing wrong in it. I know many otherwise highly respectable people who would not dream of shoplifting for instance but regularly break the speed limits and will happily talk about it.

There are many villages with speed limits that drivers ignore, maybe because they can't resist a straight stretch of road and forget there are people living there who would like to come out of their houses without fear. Murkle is crying out for a speed camera - I don't think I have once driven through their 50 mile zone without someone overtaking and I've often been passed in the no-overtaking stretch.

Another thing that really annoys me is drivers who can't wait for the end of a speed limit and have to overtake early. Then there are the ones that overtake just before the start of a limit only to have to jam on their brakes. Why? What is it all about? They can't all be on life-or-death missions.

Wow! You got into town all of 2 seconds before me. Fantastic! What are you going to do with all that time saved?

As an alternative to cameras, I really like those signs on town borders that tell you what speed you are going. Why, having put them up, do they take them away again? Do they not work? They always do for me.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Connie, points stay physically on your licence for 4 years, when you can have them removed, for £19.They only tot up for 3 years(you can only have 12 in any rolling 3 year period), But you usually have to delcare them to insurance companies for 5 years, or more for serious offences like drink driving.
    I speed the whole time on the open road and will not be stoping.It is always done according to the conditions.However in any town or area with a restriction like 50, 40, 30 or 20 mph I stick to them. Or any where I know to be a risk, I be careful about speed and be vigalent.
    In the distant past I found that the accidents i had (all years ago) , 2 of them, that I had were tottally unrelated to speed.Ok, if i was doing 10mph there would be no accident.But on both occasions they were well below the speed limit, and 1 could be because the other person had no lights on in the pitch black.

Quote Originally Posted by badger

As an alternative to cameras, I really like those signs on town borders that tell you what speed you are going. Why, having put them up, do they take them away again? Do they not work? They always do for me.
    I do find these are alot more effective than being done, or the stelth tax vans sending a love letter.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    There were more children killed by motor vehicles in 1922 than were killed last year by motor vehicles.
    That is a misleading and pretty meaningless stat on its own. A large part of the reason for reduction in fatalities is the fact that roads have become so dangerous that children are now kept away from them.

In 1970 80% of schoolchildren went to school on their own, by 1990 this had reduced to 9% and latest figures show that hardly any 7 to 8 year old kids go to school unaccompanied by an adult.

There are various safety measures in place today that did not exist in 1922 and children have road safety taught to them through both school and the media on a fairly intensive basis. Children in general are also much more street-wise and aware at a much earlier age than they were in 1922.

It is an interesting fact that fewer people in Britain today actually know who lives across the street from them and this is partly due to the fact that they avoid crossing the street through fear of dangerous traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    It is an interesting fact that fewer people in Britain today actually know who lives across the street from them and this is partly due to the fact that they avoid crossing the street through fear of dangerous traffic.
    I think its got to do with people not having a community spirit etc. Especially on council estates.

Quote Originally Posted by Fran
    ? Scorrie ?????? I am puzzled by your comments. i am all for speed cameras but i just think this particular van is parked so obviously that it defeats the object. it should be "hidden" where motorists dont see it so they wont slow down for it. I am all for sppedsters being caught. i saw a nasty accident at the nigg roundabout today where a lorry was speeding and went across the grass at the roundabout. I have seen many accidents caused by speed.
    i would like to add that i do not speed and have no driving offences.

Also, my house is safely guarded when i am out.
    So you are all for speed cameras are you. Let's look at your original post. Drivers Beware. Thumbs down icon, that would seem to indicate a negative approach to the subject in hand. Next icon, looks a bit negative to me also, mmm.

If these cameras are so obvious then why do you need to warn others of their presence? You are all for speedsters being caught, why forewarn them then?

Original post ends on a flippant note.

I see nothing there that indicates support for speed cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Doleve
    I think its got to do with people not having a community spirit etc. Especially on council estates.
    That is true also but people did give road safety as a reason for not knowing the people across the street.

So you are all for speed cameras are you.

blahblaahblahblah YADAYADAYADA

She was obviously won over by your stunning argument and persuasiveness.

So you are all for speed cameras are you. Let's look at your original post. Drivers Beware. Thumbs down icon, that would seem to indicate a negative approach to the subject in hand. Next icon, looks a bit negative to me also, mmm.

If these cameras are so obvious then why do you need to warn others of their presence? You are all for speedsters being caught, why forewarn them then?

Original post ends on a flippant note.

Well said scorrie.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    There were more children killed when they didn't have speed cameras than when they do have speed cameras then.

See, they work.

Scorrie, I do not support speedsters and I do not tell where speed cameras are and i know where most of them are on the road to Inverness. My main comments was about the speed camera van being in such a silly obvious place and what was the point of it being there where everyone can see it.when the police are checking speedsters they at least hide off the road and are not usually seen. im sorry if my post gave out the opposite to what i meant to say.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I also agree with them being visible - at the end of the day, their purpose is to slow people down on certain bits of road - that's why they were made stripey and reflective a few years ago - to draw attention to themselves! It was also that year that the sneaky ones which were hidden behind roadsigns were made visible. I've been caught once with mobile camera - ach well, it was a fair cop (3 points and a 60 quid fine) and I've definately learnt my lesson and am extra vigilant (i.e. paranoid) about safety cameras now....which is a good thing!
    Not to mention those ones which are at traffic lights which snap people if they run a red light - I am so nervous they will get me half-way across that I never take the risk and end up annoying eveyone behind me!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123