Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Myths & Legends Castletown

Default Myths & Legends Castletown

Does anyone know of the myth/legend of castletown beach,
    where it is said that the original old village of Castletown is buried under the sand.
    Legend has it that with the incoming tides the village had to be abandoned and moved to where it is now. Does anyone know if there any truth to this or is it just a myth

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire1
    Does anyone know of the myth/legend of castletown beach,
    where it is said that the original old village of Castletown is buried under the sand.
    Legend has it that with the incoming tides the village had to be abandoned and moved to where it is now. Does anyone know if there any truth to this or is it just a myth
    yeah, a good friend of mine told me that once he was walking somewhere around there when the tide had gone out really far and he found what he thought to be markings that realy resembled an old peat bank that had been worked, but it was a long way out on the shore...mmmm...

Cool

From what I can gather, there's still a lot of strange going ons up that way.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

You don't have to wait till the tide goes out that far. At the north end of the beach you will notice large clumps of black stuff about half way down when the tide is out. On closer inspection and a scrape you will notice that it is charred ground with what looks like tree roots, there are quite a few clumps.

Now i don't know how old they are, anybody on here know?

What's the story about the mummy up there?

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    What's the story about the mummy up there?
    Dont know Connie ....ask DrSzin he has a link to a website about the Mummy! Where is DrSzin anyway? Im getting scared to go oot here .......with a Mummy on the loose and The Valkyrie and the Green Lady up at Olrig or was it a Lady dressed in Green and theres the Sysa, and not to mention the bagpipes skirling at all oors up on the hill! Most haunted place in Caithness according to TPC!!!!!! .......and theres the tunnels!

With regards to the beach there are still some tree stumps in the sand on the beach.........when the tides out you can see what appears to be the roots of lots of trees it would seem there may have been quite a lot there at one time!

[quote=phoenix]Dont know Connie ....ask DrSzin he has a link to a website about the Mummy! Where is DrSzin anyway? Im getting scared to go oot here .......with a Mummy on the loose and The Valkyrie and the Green Lady up at Olrig or was it a Lady dressed in Green and theres the Sysa, and not to mention the bagpipes skirling at all oors up on the hill! Most haunted place in Caithness according to TPC!!!!!! .......and theres the tunnels!

what books have you been reading pheonix, i have lived in and around castletown area all my life and heard no such yarns about a mummy (the only mummy i can think of is ma own and she's still alive and kicking )

I didnt read it in abook billy boy DrSzin told me about the Mummy.....not sure how he became linked to Castletown though!

Hehehehe that reminds me of someone connie maybe this coincides with the solar eclipse in Egypt tomorrow.......maybe the Mummy is going home! Watch this space!

All very interesting,i'd love to find more about this myths and legends
    I do remember hearing something about the castletown tunnels before
    Always remember your unique, just like everyone else

Cool

Surely there's someone out there with the answers

Two more posts to go connie and youve hit the jackpot!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Two more posts to go connie and youve hit the jackpot!
    EH???????

One more connie!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    One more connie!
    No way......you're scaring me now...so whats gonna happen after this one If i'm not back, some-one come and rescue me, pleeease!!!!!!

whats happen .org tonight is everbody going mad

Brill connie! I dont know whats going to happen Anything happening with you?

Default Silkie

Only story I know about Castletown is about Silkie. She was half woman half seal and she is buried in Olrig.
    If you go in the old old cemetary right up at the back near the pirate graves there is a grave with a big hole in it. It is said that if you stick your foot in the hole and make a wish it is supposed to come true.
    Also it is said if you stick your foot in it it will start raining. There is a plaque on the cemetary gate with the story.

I have put my foot in the grave many times and it never rained or no wishes came true.

Probably a myth.

See what you've unleashed connie ........the story of the silkie!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast