Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latest on Tesco

Unhappy

Tesco will operate with Wick petrol Cartel so no change the motorist will still pay highest rates in the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryman
    Tesco will operate with Wick petrol Cartel so no change the motorist will still pay highest rates in the North.
    OK so Tesco offer to match local fuel prices in a 3 mile area.
    Then Tesco are offer 5p per litre of fuel prices for a 50p shopping spend.
    Can the locals compete with this or do they then lower prices?
    I feel this will Drive down local prices in the long term.
    -={ Life is good, make the most of every day}=-

The standard of living in Caithness is one of the best in the whole of the UK. So I wouldn't gripe about the petrol cost too much. Then again I don't drive.

Question Tesco

Congestion fears may be down to the fact that not only the road in- but also local roads around it may be affected.

What about the folk who live on George Street? They park on the street at present- and if Tesco and a whole load of other shops move in out the Castletown road, they'll not be too happy.

Personally- I'd like to see not only Tesco and Asda, but also M&S, Sainsbury, Waitrose and Europa move in to the area. They'll bring with them cheap school uniform items and an extended range of foodstuffs. And while we're at it, I'd also like Monsoon, Accessorize, Debenhams, Jaegar and CC.

But then I'm an optimist.
    Bagpuss

And if all those nice shops moved in, no-one wpould need to go south on shopping trips ever again- and look at all the petrol we'll save
    Bagpuss

I heard Tesco excutives were "Head Hunting" in Somerfield Wick last week & were offering BIG money for dept managers.

Smile

Hurray !! Cannae wait ..Bring it on..

My beloved says what about Next, La Sensa and Primark!

Quote Originally Posted by davem
    My beloved says what about Next, La Sensa and Primark!
    Primark would be sssoooooooo welcome here by me! Aren't they opening soon in Inverness?
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Julia
    Primark would be sssoooooooo welcome here by me! Aren't they opening soon in Inverness?
    Yes Aug/Sept time. I heard that Peacocks (supposed to be scottish equivalent to Primark is opening in units up beside Argos) don't know what truth is in it.

Default Tesco

so much is being said about Tesco opening in december etc, but as i said before they still haven't got planning permission yet and that explains why there is no sign on the land at the airport saying "land aquired for Tesco". In the groat today it states that Tesco's planning application will be considered at the next meeting at the end of this month.
    i think all us Orgers, along with family and friends, should attend this meeting and make it clear we want Tesco, and make sure the Planning Committee dont turn Tesco down again.
    Last edited by Fran; 05-Apr-06 at 23:52.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

As Bagupuss said the congestion may cause a problem. But was something similar not said about the siting of Lidls a few years back. I live in George st but thankfully i have a driveway. i'm fully expecting the road to get a lot busier to start with and then hopefully settle down as folk get used to the fact that they have longer hours to shop. Since its going to be close to where i live maybe i could just "borrow" one of their trolleys and walk to and fro with my shopping instead of taking the car.
    To stay young live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.

Default tescos

Wish people would stop going on about the petrol prices as its coming across if they arent going to be X amount cheaper than the local filling stations, we just dont want tescos to be here, or the flip side, if they are going to be cheaper then they are going to put X amount of filling stations out of business.

Just seems to me you cant please everyone all of the time, surely its going to be up to the smaller stations to at least TRY to match the lowest fuel in the county, or are they annoyed their little cartel is going to be broken up...?? (always amazes me how the fuel is practically the same price at ALL the local stations and goes up/down at the same time, I mean we are talking minutes here...............!!)

I'm sure Tescos will have the same kind of logistical problems getting the fuel here as the others do, and arent going to lose precious pennies in profit by seriously undercutting their closest rivals, that would be just silly.

As to 'congestion' in George Street, do the council not realise how many cars actually go that way anyway, heading out of the town in the morning to places like Dounreay/Manpower etc, its like a fine Convoy!!

((And pardon me for pointing it out, but no complaints from the council when the big pipes and towheads are going through Wick to Rockwater, causing serious disruption to lots of businesses (electricity being cut off etc) and loads of homes, in George Street and other places.........))

To be honest, I think the council are just trying to make it as difficult as possible for Tescos to be here, to come to a town which is dying on its feet, and in serious need of a lot of money spent on it. (Music Shop closing... .another one bites the dust....) I know its slightly out of town, but can they not see the bigger picture, or is it just all of us minions paying our council tax that can??

At the moment (and this is just my opinion!), I think we are the only area in the whole of the UK that is waiting for news that either oil is found close by, or the local defunct nuclear reactor is going to start producing Nuclear power again. I'm not going to go into an argument about the politics or safety of it all, but I know a lot of us are secretly hoping something big is going to happen, lets be honest, Wick needs it, and it sure would bale the local council out of the cr*p its got itself, and Wick, into.

If Asda gets the go ahead, I see no reason why Tesco shouldn't. That would be a breach of competition rules surely? And the Council could find itself in very hot water if Tesco decided to appeal. If Asda gets PP, Tesco will too.

I'd seriously like an M&S food store- they do these in England so why not have one locally. Oh and please, please please a Next and a Monsoon- or at the least Outfit- the Arcadia clothes stores under one roof- and while we're at it a book shop- Borders, Dillons or Waterstones with a coffee shop inside- our local book shop seems to have turned itself into a gift shop. And how about IKEA?

However, the Tesco/Asda if they do arrive will bring school uniform basics with them. parents- put pressure on the councillors and make sure they pass the planning permission- the kids will look soooo much smarter and you'll save a fortune on 'cool stuff' and if Primark arrives that 'll be cheap too.

On the Argos front- remember that while some stuff is good- that Comet do the electrical stuff cheaper and that the jewellery is Chavish bling
    Bagpuss

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan
    OK so Tesco offer to match local fuel prices in a 3 mile area.
    Then Tesco are offer 5p per litre of fuel prices for a 50p shopping spend.
    Can the locals compete with this or do they then lower prices?
    I feel this will Drive down local prices in the long term.
    I've said this sooo many times before so might as well say it once more:

If the local filling stations only have (around) 5p on a litre how can they compete with that??? Answers on a postcard please.

Prices wont be driven down, the long established companies that have served Caithness for collectively hundreds of years will be driven out of business, thus canceling the Tesco jobs argument.
    Last edited by ~~Tides~~; 06-Apr-06 at 23:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss
    I'd seriously like an M&S food store- they do these in England so why not have one locally. Oh and please, please please a Next and a Monsoon- or at the least Outfit- the Arcadia clothes stores under one roof- and while we're at it a book shop- Borders, Dillons or Waterstones with a coffee shop inside- our local book shop seems to have turned itself into a gift shop. And how about IKEA?

However, the Tesco/Asda if they do arrive will bring school uniform basics with them. parents- put pressure on the councillors and make sure they pass the planning permission- the kids will look soooo much smarter and you'll save a fortune on 'cool stuff' and if Primark arrives that 'll be cheap too.

On the Argos front- remember that while some stuff is good- that Comet do the electrical stuff cheaper and that the jewellery is Chavish bling
    Who knows? The retail park could be the start of better things to come.

I agree 100% I would love all the advatages that the cities have then we wouldnt need to pay a fortune for things in the local shops. The clothes shops in caithness in my opinion take full advantage and charge very expensive prices. I go to Inverness with my money now i get alot more for it thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ~~Tides~~
    I've said this sooo many times before so might as well say it once more:

If the local filling stations only have (around) 5p on a litre how can they compete with that??? Answers on a postcard please.

Prices wont be driven down, the long established companies that have served Caithness for collectively hundreds of years will be driven out of business, thus canceling the Tesco jobs argument.
    The whole world is changing - for better or worse - and will continue to change. At last Caithness is having a little help with the odd supermarket, God knows, we deserve better than is often offered.
    Fuel: the difference between what I would pay at Stirling, and what I pay here cannot possibly be justified.
    Those that rub their hands and say "Oh dear, those dreadful superstores are coming, what are we going to do" and those who say "So what, lets see how we can adopt and fight for our customers" will be the difference between business or bust.
    Loyalty will be given when it is warranted.
    Instead of whinging about it - it's going to happen anyway - and it will make a difference - lets enjoy it along with the independent who wants our business.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    The whole world is changing - for better or worse - and will continue to change. At last Caithness is having a little help with the odd supermarket, God knows, we deserve better than is often offered.
    Fuel: the difference between what I would pay at Stirling, and what I pay here cannot possibly be justified.
    Those that rub their hands and say "Oh dear, those dreadful superstores are coming, what are we going to do" and those who say "So what, lets see how we can adopt and fight for our customers" will be the difference between business or bust.
    Loyalty will be given when it is warranted.
    Instead of whinging about it - it's going to happen anyway - and it will make a difference - lets enjoy it along with the independent who wants our business.
    Have you seen the state of the Dingwall area reacently? empty shops and filling stations all over the place.I hope that sort of improvement does not happen to Wick.Although it has started, george mackays butchers, music shop going etc.We do deserve better and i hope we dont get te Dingwall better.
    When everyone is complaining about a few expensive things, why does no one ever mention the reasonable house and insurance costs?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast