Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latest on Tesco

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    If Tesco are going to price their petrol on the basis of a comparison of other garage prices within a 3 mile radius then Wick garage owners will dictate what Tesco's fuel prices will be. So much for any hope of reasonable petrol prices then.
    Allegedly ASDA have a national pricing policy so if they are definitely opening in Thurso then Tesco "might" have to rethink who they are competing with petrol wise.

Seem to remember short ago that they had promotions on, spend so much on food, save so much on petrol, so we may have a loophole after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia
    Just been to the Tesco Question Time at the Nethercliffe Hotel! It was very interesting indeed and lasted about 90 minutes.

The new store is planned to open here in December and will be looking to employ between 175 - 300 new staff. The minimum wage being nearly £6 per hour.

There will be a drive-thru car wash and cafe at the new store as well as everything else Tesco usually offer including clothes, electrical items, fresh food deli's etc..

The store itself will be slightly bigger than the one in Dingwall and will probably be open from 6am - 12 midnight.

Petrol will cost the same or less as the lowest price within a 3 mile radius. And the petrol station may well be open 24 hours.

Other items bought instore will be the same price as all other stores.

Roll on Tesco`s I`ll pick up a nice wee job there!!

Some reading for those not sure if Tesco is a good or a bad thing.

http://www.sundayherald.com/54688

http://www.tescopoly.org/

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    Some reading for those not sure if Tesco is a good or a bad thing.

http://www.sundayherald.com/54688

http://www.tescopoly.org/
    Tesco cant kill Wick.....its been dead for years

Quote Originally Posted by girnigoe
    Did I miss something here???

What was the hold up with the planning permission?
    The Highland Council said they were concerned about the possibility of - wait for it, and don't laugh - TRAFFIC CONGESTION!
    Sounds to me that it was more like a question of, "Play ball with us or we will keep you hanging on forever!"

Don't forget, Tesco were refused planning permission previously in Wick because the site they wanted could cause TRAFFIC CONGESTION.
    They wanted the site now occupied by Lidl, Homebase and Argos who, presumably, will not cause the same traffic problems.
    The difference? Lidl, Homebase and Argos did not have a Petrol Station as part of their Planning Application!

Unless there is a belief that nobody would want to shop a Lidl, Homebase or Argos in order to prevent TRAFFIC CONGESTION.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Default tesco

It's great to hear about the Tesco meeting held in the Nethercliffe hotel, if I had known about this i would have attended. The question is, have they got planning permission yet, i dont think so. there is no sign on the land at the airport saying the land has been aquired for building by Tesco. also there has been no publication anywhere that planning permission has been granted.
    Until I see something definite about the planning consent, I cant believe it, but i hope and pray it is true.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

i welcome all the new shops

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1979
    Tesco cant kill Wick.....its been dead for years
    So true all it can do is bring back life

Quote Originally Posted by billy boy
    homebase is still not finished and tesco have not even started yet.
    home base is finished it just the signs and fitting to be done and some snagging and it wont take 9 months to build tesco .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop
    i welcome all the new shops
    Totally agree cant wait! Will be going to Wick every week for my shopping. prefer the Coop, Lidl, DE and Woolies in Wick than the Thurso ones. Just a shame i cant get Johnny Polsons pies any more! They were the best

Quote Originally Posted by LENSMAN
    Seem to remember short ago that they had promotions on, spend so much on food, save so much on petrol, so we may have a loophole after all.
    The chap from Tesco did say that depending on your spend in store petrol discounts would be offered, i.e. spend £50 on shopping and save 5p per litre of fuel.

He also said that a new store had just opened in Huntly which only took 10 weeks to build from start to finish!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    home base is finished it just the signs and fitting to be done and some snagging and it wont take 9 months to build tesco .
    maybe so ice box but they still not got permision yet so how can they say it will be ready by december have they got a crystal ball or have you got one!

have they even applied yet? couldn't see anything on the council website last time I looked

TESCO HAVE JUST OPENED A STORE IN HUNTLY AND THERE PETROL AND DIESEL IS ONLY ONE TENTH OF A PENNY CHEAPER THAN THE LOCAL GARAGE.
    YOU ONLY GET THE CHEAP FUEL FROM TESCO WHEN YOU HAVE ANOTHER MAJOR SUPERMARKET IN THE SAME LOCAL AREA.
    EG INVERNESS /ELGIN /ABERDEEN.
    OBAN WHICH IS ABOUT THE SAME SIZE OF TOWN AS WICK HAS A TESCO AGAIN THE PRICE IS ONLY ABOUT A TENTH LOWER OR THE SAME AS THE LOCAL FILLING STATIONS.

Never thought I'd say it (or at least admit to it on here lol) But.... Roll on Tesco.
    Can't wait, it's just what we need up here. I love the 2 hour trip to Inverness but all the same it'll be great to not have to go there unless it's for something special.

I've probably missed it on other threads but what exactly is going on the site next to lidl's? I know Homebase is and Argos and I think New Look but theres more units there so does anyone else know?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    So now we know what the hold up was with the Planning Permission.

Three mile radius? what a strange figure to pick?
    I wonder if any product other than fuel is subject to the same restriction?
    The 3 mile figure is the normal one applied throughout the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    The 3 mile figure is the normal one applied throughout the UK.
    That will do for me. I'll put my paranoia away on the three mile limit!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by billy boy
    maybe so ice box but they still not got permision yet so how can they say it will be ready by december have they got a crystal ball or have you got one!
    Wish i had one make my life a lot better but alot can happen in 8 months

yes they can rattle that building up in no time .

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    Never thought I'd say it (or at least admit to it on here lol) But.... Roll on Tesco.
    Can't wait, it's just what we need up here. I love the 2 hour trip to Inverness but all the same it'll be great to not have to go there unless it's for something special.

I've probably missed it on other threads but what exactly is going on the site next to lidl's? I know Homebase is and Argos and I think New Look but theres more units there so does anyone else know?
    superdrug and the Edinburgh Woollen mill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast