Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Spirit World?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am female: Yes definitely

20 25.97%
  • I am female: Not sure but I tend towards yes

12 15.58%
  • I am female: Don't know/I am a spiritual agnostic

4 5.19%
  • I am female: Not sure but I tend towards no

1 1.30%
  • I am female: Definitely not

3 3.90%
  • I am male: Yes definitely

10 12.99%
  • I am male: Not sure but I tend towards yes

9 11.69%
  • I am male: Don't know/I am a spiritual agnostic

0 0%
  • I am male: Not sure but I tend towards no

1 1.30%
  • I am male: Definitely not

17 22.08%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in the Spirit World? (gender specific improvement)

Well that just confirms what I already knew I suppose, wimmin are gullible to any old mumbo jumbo.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Maybe I've missed the point here - perhaps 'deluded' fits in under the umbrella definition of 'female'?
    I believe the word used was 'deluded' not 'denuded.' LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Well that just confirms what I already knew I suppose, wimmin are gullible to any old mumbo jumbo.
    And it confirms what I already knew, men know everything. Not one has voted 'Don't know.'

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    I believe the word used was 'deluded' not 'denuded.' LOL.
    I've only just noticed this post.

You may be owld but there's vibrant life in you yet you cheeky rascal. I'm loving it.

I was allways a cynic about anything spiritual. It wasnt untill i lived in a haunted house and lived it for my self month after month that i was convinced that some thing that cant be explained exists....I dont pretend to know exactly what it is tho.
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

That sounds interesting. Can you tell us more about your experiences in the haunted house?

yes please tell. The house i grew up in was haunted too. We used to hear footsteps on the stairs, a baby crying, something being dragged across the attic floor every night. We used to hear voices too, like a radio was left on when there was no one there. Not just me, we all heard these things.
    There were other things as well when we had friends staying over.
    I'll just point out that the house was detached, and not near any other.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

This is an account of a place i stopped for a while. I wrote it for another forum and it’s a bit long and it will have to go in two posts but crayola was happy for me to post it here. A hell of a lot more happened than this, often on a daily basis. There have been other folks rent it and have this sort of thing happen to them. Nothing like this had happened to me before and nothing like it has happened since. The house still stands but is disused and not rented out any more.

Its all true and only the names have been changed to protect the guilty!!

Years ago in my punk rockin’ past, around about 78or79, I was happily Doing my apprenticeship living in a cottage behind a café, sharing with a mate who had a burger van. We would mess about working in the cafe and van in lieu of a bit of rent. Life was about as cushtie as it gets. Cold running water, hot running women. Café, shops, pubs all within a hundred yards

Great as it was, it all got sold from under us and we got the statutory five minutes notice. But as they say, when one door closes another one opens. So I’m down the pub bemoaning my fate like you do and got the offer of a spare room with a mate Jack and his girl friend Jill. Brill. Its out in the country a mile and a half from a village but I can get the bus for work so yea! we troop out to check it out. They had moved in short ago, had loads of space and the first impression from the road was of, well, I dunow. The house was up a hillside fifty yards from the road; a long affair of old additions. The original house was three rooms down stairs and two attic rooms; their windows gave it a sort of face. On the left an addition of a kitchen and bathroom stretched it along to some rickety sheds. We drive up and bail out of the car, its warm and sunny, the view out over the sea and isles is stunning. Inside we get the music on, we all have similar tastes (loud punk and beer) so I was in and we were off.
    Every thing started off fine. Things seemed a wee bit tense between jack and Jill from time to time but we all settled in to a bit of a routine, sharing cooking, shopping and the like. It was in this settling in period that I began to notice I was becoming increasingly forgetful. I would put things down then not be able to remember where I had put them, then when you were looking for something else they would turn up and in strange places. I thought someone was having a laugh but one night during cooking tea I took the lids off two pans, put them on the table, turned and they were gone. So as I’m cursing for this as tea getting spoiled and I cant find them anywhere. In walks Jack to a face full of allegations. He looks about, puts two plates on the pans and says chill out and takes the sting out of it all. While we sort tea he explains how this sort of thing has been happening to them. At first they thought it was each other but then realised there was some thing else here. Jill had wondered if they should tell me but had decided to keep shtumm as nothing would probably happen. Now, I was a bit sceptical about it but hell! we were the product of a new punk revolution and if ghosts and ghoulies wanted to squat with us it was cool. More beer!!

Sitting around that evening drinking and listening to Ry Cooder, jack started to tell us of the things he lost or had happened around the house, one of which was the bible in the book case, whenever we were all out the first one back would find it upside down.. Well easy enough to do I thought Or how you would be followed by unseen eyes MMM or how the rooms got cold… So there we are drinking away getting sillier and sillier making fun of our ghosty, when we realise the fire is giving out almost no heat. Now it’s still banked well up but it is suddenly cold. I cant remember if the music stopped before we looked up or if we saw it and the music stopped for dramatic effect but the mirror above the fire place was misted over! it was silent but for the wind and it was cold, boy was it cold! with a sense of some thing in the air. A moment’s real uncomfortableness then Jack sprung up and changed the record, I poked the fire and produced a wave of heat . The moment passed and we basked in the heat, the mirror cleared in minutes. We agreed that was spooky and carried on drinking with a little less piss taking.

A week or more passed and we were all heading out to the pub for the evening and as I was the last one out I glanced at Jacks bible in the bookcase, smiling to my self cos it was the right way up. We are half way down the track and I realise I have left me spendoolies in doors so I nip back up for it, get inside and grab the cash from the mantle when I glance at the bible. Its upside down. As my brain takes it in, the hairs down the back of my neck are standing, my spine and feet itch with a desire to get out. I back out with my heart playing the theme from jaws. Stepping out of the house and in to the sun and warm, my whole demeanour changes, Jill is saying ‘did you get it all right?’ and all I can do is say yea fine. I was a bit quiet on the walk to the village. My scepticism diminished.

Over the next few weeks into summer little things were happening, one after another, mostly trivial ones - bits and pieces disappearing - but some times it was an uncomfortable atmosphere, as if you were actively disliked or temperature changes.. During this time I met the mutual friend that had told jack and Jill about the place and he soon came out with some similar anecdotes, His strange one was he could never keep a sharp knife in the house no matter how many times he sharpened them. He and his girl friend had stayed a while and got somewhere else quick. His parting shot was no one ever stayed there long.

Now stuff started to happen. One night jack got in to find Jill freaked out and shaky. She explained how after ironing she put the iron in the windowsill, The window was in a stone wall three foot thick with a curtain across it, the window was open a sliver and the curtains closed. After every thing was put away Jill has just sat down with a cup of tea when there is a rustling behind the curtain. Thinking a bird had goten in she opened the curtains slowly and there was the lead of the iron, its full length draped around and around two house plants with hardly any damage. She was understandably a little upset and the plants just could not be un tangled without a load of damage. We are all a bit freaked by it but life goes on. Two days later Jack cant find his favourite shirt [a converted pyjama top - well we dressed in all sorts in those days] this irks him cos its his bestest one and he really wants it but its gone out of the ironing and when I say gone I mean it was nowhere to be found.

Over the next weeks the atmosphere in the house would be oppressive at times , I wouldn’t stay in rooms alone rooms would suddenly be freezing, taking ages to warm up again. Sometimes it was as if you were being watched. When things disappeared it evoked streams of anger and invective directed at ghostie. It was slowly starting to grate. One notable Friday night the other two were off to the pub but I had invested my wages in vinyl so would be stopping in for a beer and loud music ye ha. I pumped it up and up some more then some more then the rest [the luxury of having no neighbours] got a raging fire on and all the lights. It only went cold the once and the old place was shaking and I loved it. Jack and Jill returned well after closing time and as we were sitting around they asked ‘’What happened to you tonight? Where did you go tonight?’ I’m saying ‘what do ya mean, I’ve been in all night….. Then Jill said, ‘Na, about nine, that’s when Ivor arrived, he got dropped at the road and walked up. When he arrived at the house it was as if no one was in; no lights on, every thing quiet. He knocked and stepped in. As he stepped in it was as if he was being enveloped by a really bad feeling of uneasiness. He shouted, then thought better of it, backed out and left down the hill. As he hit the road he jogged a few steps and found he couldn’t stop till he got to the pub - freaked out and no way he was coming back tonight. So then, where were you?’

Well, I was here at nine when the room was cold, music going, lights on [cue twilight zone music!] this is scary freaky.

A few days later I’m offered a place at the end of the month. Ye ha! I was out of there. Celebrating that night the conversation turns to jacks missing shirt and Jill says its got to be in the house somewhere so if we search every nook and cranny stuffs just got to turn up. ,Full of testosterone-driven bravado we both jump up cos there’s mans work to do and no ghost is going to stop us. Starting at the end of the house even the cistern of the toilet was searched; next the kitchen,. Pulling out pots and pans at the back of a cupboard, jack found a mass of tea towels; pulling them out revealed older foosty ones underneath that had been there a long time. Oooer, we chucked them in the bin and carried on. The three of us moved into the sitting room in the house proper and started by checking the furniture down the sides underneath then the sideboard moving it from the wall. Up until now we had been having a laugh, carrying on but the mood soon changed. Some one commented on it and it lifted straight away. We all agreed that something was making us uncomfortable as we searched the bookcase and sideboard as if we shouldn’t do so. So with every thing examined the next room was the end sitting room. This one was a bit damp and unused, containing only a sofa and table and a few boxes. So a quick search and nothing at a glance but its cold and it smells of damp. We have one box each with nothing of interest in but my attention is caught by a cupboard door by the table . Investigating this I find it’s locked and to my surprise I’m trembling as I mess about with it. Jill says it’s always been locked lets do upstairs. Stepping in to the passage was like stepping in to a summer night its unreal and we are quite startled opening the door into the room and looking back inside, the mirror over the fire is running with condensation. I don’t like this; no one likes this. We are on the edge of pooping our pants, sphincters sown shut with bravado. Its upstairs next.

We agree to search our own rooms. While seeming like a good idea this was the worst time as I was on my own and things felt mega scary. This is when telling myself that to be afraid was stupid and you have nothing to fear but fear itself and another voice in my head replied ‘its behind you!!!’. As I went through the room, wardrobe, chest of drawers, bedside then rucksack and under the bed (this one took a bit of resolve as I was half convinced something was going to jump out). Not a sausage to be found. Jack shouted through and me I said. Yea nothing here either so lets have a brew. Talking at the top of the stair we bemoan the lack of success and decide none of the stuff can be indoors. I exclaimed. ‘this is a load of bollocks’ and Jjill said ‘apart from this’ and as I looked round the door, condensation was running off her big makeup mirror. That was enough for me and as soon as we stopped searching the house lightened up, amazing what a coffee will do; add in some music and the stresses are left behind But. What about the locked cupboard I hear you ask well jack decided to get it open after the second coffee A quick lever with a screwdriver revealed an old china faced doll with rotting clothes and a turn-of-the-century board game, both thick with the dust of ages. This was the most surreal experience of the night, as we handled the toys . We put them back and wedged the door shut.

I moved out two days later, grabbing the chance of the flat and happy I was to go. Jack and Jill moved out within four weeks and were also happy to go. The last thing Jack did before locking up and moving on was to quickly check all the rooms. In the end sitting room, on the couch, neatly ironed and folded but covered in a film of mould was his prized pyjama shirt.

On a wee foot note we found out years later from a friend from the parish that a hundred and fifty years before an eccentric fella lived in the house. This chap was well known for borrowing things from his neighbours and not returning them. In fact, he seemed to be a bit of a pest but tolerated and his capers were a life long trait. When he finally died without issue he was buried in the kirk yard with a well attended funeral then when it was all over the whole congregation made their way to his house and helped themselves to all their own long -lost property. Its said that loads of it was unclaimed and left and that it was stuffed in every nook and cranny. It stayed like that for years until the house was sold rebuilt and the attic rooms added.

Cant say as I would ever go back there and stay !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dafi View Post
    This is an account of a place i stopped for a while. I wrote it for another forum and it’s a bit long and it will have to go in two posts but crayola was happy for me to post it here. A hell of a lot more happened than this, often on a daily basis. There have been other folks rent it and have this sort of thing happen to them. Nothing like this had happened to me before and nothing like it has happened since. The house still stands but is disused and not rented out any more.

Its all true and only the names have been changed to protect the guilty!!

Years ago in my punk rockin’ past, around about 78or79, I was happily Doing my apprenticeship living in a cottage behind a café, sharing with a mate who had a burger van. We would mess about working in the cafe and van in lieu of a bit of rent. Life was about as cushtie as it gets. Cold running water, hot running women. Café, shops, pubs all within a hundred yards

Great as it was, it all got sold from under us and we got the statutory five minutes notice. But as they say, when one door closes another one opens. So I’m down the pub bemoaning my fate like you do and got the offer of a spare room with a mate Jack and his girl friend Jill. Brill. Its out in the country a mile and a half from a village but I can get the bus for work so yea! we troop out to check it out. They had moved in short ago, had loads of space and the first impression from the road was of, well, I dunow. The house was up a hillside fifty yards from the road; a long affair of old additions. The original house was three rooms down stairs and two attic rooms; their windows gave it a sort of face. On the left an addition of a kitchen and bathroom stretched it along to some rickety sheds. We drive up and bail out of the car, its warm and sunny, the view out over the sea and isles is stunning. Inside we get the music on, we all have similar tastes (loud punk and beer) so I was in and we were off.
    Every thing started off fine. Things seemed a wee bit tense between jack and Jill from time to time but we all settled in to a bit of a routine, sharing cooking, shopping and the like. It was in this settling in period that I began to notice I was becoming increasingly forgetful. I would put things down then not be able to remember where I had put them, then when you were looking for something else they would turn up and in strange places. I thought someone was having a laugh but one night during cooking tea I took the lids off two pans, put them on the table, turned and they were gone. So as I’m cursing for this as tea getting spoiled and I cant find them anywhere. In walks Jack to a face full of allegations. He looks about, puts two plates on the pans and says chill out and takes the sting out of it all. While we sort tea he explains how this sort of thing has been happening to them. At first they thought it was each other but then realised there was some thing else here. Jill had wondered if they should tell me but had decided to keep shtumm as nothing would probably happen. Now, I was a bit sceptical about it but hell! we were the product of a new punk revolution and if ghosts and ghoulies wanted to squat with us it was cool. More beer!!

Sitting around that evening drinking and listening to Ry Cooder, jack started to tell us of the things he lost or had happened around the house, one of which was the bible in the book case, whenever we were all out the first one back would find it upside down.. Well easy enough to do I thought Or how you would be followed by unseen eyes MMM or how the rooms got cold… So there we are drinking away getting sillier and sillier making fun of our ghosty, when we realise the fire is giving out almost no heat. Now it’s still banked well up but it is suddenly cold. I cant remember if the music stopped before we looked up or if we saw it and the music stopped for dramatic effect but the mirror above the fire place was misted over! it was silent but for the wind and it was cold, boy was it cold! with a sense of some thing in the air. A moment’s real uncomfortableness then Jack sprung up and changed the record, I poked the fire and produced a wave of heat . The moment passed and we basked in the heat, the mirror cleared in minutes. We agreed that was spooky and carried on drinking with a little less piss taking.

A week or more passed and we were all heading out to the pub for the evening and as I was the last one out I glanced at Jacks bible in the bookcase, smiling to my self cos it was the right way up. We are half way down the track and I realise I have left me spendoolies in doors so I nip back up for it, get inside and grab the cash from the mantle when I glance at the bible. Its upside down. As my brain takes it in, the hairs down the back of my neck are standing, my spine and feet itch with a desire to get out. I back out with my heart playing the theme from jaws. Stepping out of the house and in to the sun and warm, my whole demeanour changes, Jill is saying ‘did you get it all right?’ and all I can do is say yea fine. I was a bit quiet on the walk to the village. My scepticism diminished.
    Quote Originally Posted by dafi View Post
    Over the next few weeks into summer little things were happening, one after another, mostly trivial ones - bits and pieces disappearing - but some times it was an uncomfortable atmosphere, as if you were actively disliked or temperature changes.. During this time I met the mutual friend that had told jack and Jill about the place and he soon came out with some similar anecdotes, His strange one was he could never keep a sharp knife in the house no matter how many times he sharpened them. He and his girl friend had stayed a while and got somewhere else quick. His parting shot was no one ever stayed there long.

Now stuff started to happen. One night jack got in to find Jill freaked out and shaky. She explained how after ironing she put the iron in the windowsill, The window was in a stone wall three foot thick with a curtain across it, the window was open a sliver and the curtains closed. After every thing was put away Jill has just sat down with a cup of tea when there is a rustling behind the curtain. Thinking a bird had goten in she opened the curtains slowly and there was the lead of the iron, its full length draped around and around two house plants with hardly any damage. She was understandably a little upset and the plants just could not be un tangled without a load of damage. We are all a bit freaked by it but life goes on. Two days later Jack cant find his favourite shirt [a converted pyjama top - well we dressed in all sorts in those days] this irks him cos its his bestest one and he really wants it but its gone out of the ironing and when I say gone I mean it was nowhere to be found.

Over the next weeks the atmosphere in the house would be oppressive at times , I wouldn’t stay in rooms alone rooms would suddenly be freezing, taking ages to warm up again. Sometimes it was as if you were being watched. When things disappeared it evoked streams of anger and invective directed at ghostie. It was slowly starting to grate. One notable Friday night the other two were off to the pub but I had invested my wages in vinyl so would be stopping in for a beer and loud music ye ha. I pumped it up and up some more then some more then the rest [the luxury of having no neighbours] got a raging fire on and all the lights. It only went cold the once and the old place was shaking and I loved it. Jack and Jill returned well after closing time and as we were sitting around they asked ‘’What happened to you tonight? Where did you go tonight?’ I’m saying ‘what do ya mean, I’ve been in all night….. Then Jill said, ‘Na, about nine, that’s when Ivor arrived, he got dropped at the road and walked up. When he arrived at the house it was as if no one was in; no lights on, every thing quiet. He knocked and stepped in. As he stepped in it was as if he was being enveloped by a really bad feeling of uneasiness. He shouted, then thought better of it, backed out and left down the hill. As he hit the road he jogged a few steps and found he couldn’t stop till he got to the pub - freaked out and no way he was coming back tonight. So then, where were you?’

Well, I was here at nine when the room was cold, music going, lights on [cue twilight zone music!] this is scary freaky.

A few days later I’m offered a place at the end of the month. Ye ha! I was out of there. Celebrating that night the conversation turns to jacks missing shirt and Jill says its got to be in the house somewhere so if we search every nook and cranny stuffs just got to turn up. ,Full of testosterone-driven bravado we both jump up cos there’s mans work to do and no ghost is going to stop us. Starting at the end of the house even the cistern of the toilet was searched; next the kitchen,. Pulling out pots and pans at the back of a cupboard, jack found a mass of tea towels; pulling them out revealed older foosty ones underneath that had been there a long time. Oooer, we chucked them in the bin and carried on. The three of us moved into the sitting room in the house proper and started by checking the furniture down the sides underneath then the sideboard moving it from the wall...
    Interesting story, even though the whole idea of spirits and ghosts and stuff seems ludicrous to me.

I've just realised I probably shouldn't have quotes those huge posts... This 30 word post is going to seem huge now...

And I'm going to need to cut 3631 words because it is so long.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wow that was super dafi. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Wow that was super dafi. Thanks.
    Second that -- I think Dafi should write a book about their ghostly experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    Interesting story, even though the whole idea of spirits and ghosts and stuff seems ludicrous to me.
    So you'd be willing to spend a few weeks in that house then?

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    So you'd be willing to spend a few weeks in that house then?
    Uh oh... My opinions seem to equal "interesting" PMs... Not sure if I should answer this.

Oh, what the hell. Sure, I'd spend a few weeks in that house. I'm a man. That's the manly thing to do...
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

That's a great story Dafi! Spooky.

I sure do believe in the Spirit World. I have seen it and here is a Photo of the Spirit World, LOL

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

All Joking aside I really do believe in the spirit Wprld. Below I have pasted some Pictures that were taken out at Camster Cairns. They are Exactly as they were Taken and No Manipulation of any kind, They were Taken with a Monolta Dynax 7000i using Kodiak Royal Gold ISO 800 Speed Film, so not even Digital. Make what you will of them :-

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    All Joking aside I really do believe in the spirit Wprld. Below I have pasted some Pictures that were taken out at Camster Cairns. They are Exactly as they were Taken and No Manipulation of any kind, They were Taken with a Monolta Dynax 7000i using Kodiak Royal Gold ISO 800 Speed Film, so not even Digital. Make what you will of them :-

I can see the shape in the third one, but don't get what is supposed to be in the first two. I've seen these type of pictures a few times, and none of them have ever convinced me. You can start taking the picture apart in some way and you find out that it is not what it looks like. What I do know, though, is that your brain will see a light pattern and if it and its surroundings create some sort of shape it can think it is a human. It turns it into what it expects to see rather than what it does.

I am not claiming anything at all with regard to these Photographs. All I claim thaey were all Taken at Camster Cairns and actuually inside one of them. They were all taken with NO Flash but with a Timed exposure of 1 Minute.

They were taken this way so as to try and get an natural exposure of the inside of the Cairn. The result was not seen until the Negatives were processed and they were as you see them.

I know that most of you know I was a Lighthouse Keeper but I was also a Professional Photographer for over 45 Years and also a Photographic Tutor for 10 Years. I could think of several ways to create these images but I know I did not use any of them

So as I said, make what you will of them as I claim nothing.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 02-Sep-09 at 13:03.

Edgar Allen Poe

Thumbs down

A load of old codswallop, there is no such thing as the spirt world, or a supreme being responsible for the creation of mankind, it's a completely ridiculous concept, and anyone with half a brain and common sense should be able to realise that, if you believe in such nonsense you're as well believing in little green men from mars and the Loch Ness Monster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast