Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lord Thurso in The Times

Default Lord Thurso in The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/bus...cle6796958.ece

Copy and paste on the above link to read article about Lord Thurso in last Saturday's Times.

What a Load of rubbish this article is. For a start he has Not been a Lord for... I forget how long but more than a few years but I think it is 8 years since he have up his Title so that he could become an MP. If the Times can not get this simple bit correct just how much of the article is incorrect as well.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

sounds to me like John (known as John to almost everyone) is one of the idiot drivers tailgating the good folk of Caithness !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    What a Load of rubbish this article is. For a start he has Not been a Lord for... I forget how long but more than a few years but I think it is 8 years since he have up his Title so that he could become an MP. If the Times can not get this simple bit correct just how much of the article is incorrect as well.

He was able to sit in the House of Lord from when he inherited the Viscountancy from his farther untill Labour abolished hereditary peers in 1999. Since then anyone with an hereditary peerage can stand for election to the House of Commons under the House of Lords act 1999. He is not alone. The ex-tory chairman Michael Ancram is the Marquess of Lothian and Douglas Hogg is the Viscount Hailsham. It is however up to the individual if they wish to use their title.
    Perhaps Kodiak, you should look to do a bit of research before you label an artical as rubbish. You are right though....He is not a Lord. He is a Viscount.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
    He was able to sit in the House of Lord from when he inherited the Viscountancy from his farther untill Labour abolished hereditary peers in 1999. Since then anyone with an hereditary peerage can stand for election to the House of Commons under the House of Lords act 1999. He is not alone. The ex-tory chairman Michael Ancram is the Marquess of Lothian and Douglas Hogg is the Viscount Hailsham. It is however up to the individual if they wish to use their title.
    Perhaps Kodiak, you should look to do a bit of research before you label an artical as rubbish. You are right though....He is not a Lord. He is a Viscount.
    so is called, correctly, Lord Thurso (and his wife is Lady Thurso).
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

His real name is Sinclair.
    His father called himself "LordThurso", as he was a Lord. John is not.
    John changed his name from John Sinclair to "John Thurso" to preserve the "Lord Thurso" implication of the name.
    Make what you will of that ...........

Wiki here -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sinclair,_3rd_Viscount_Thurso
    Last edited by Dog-eared; 18-Aug-09 at 00:29.

[QUOTE=Dog-eared;581735]His real name is Sinclair.
    His father called himself "LordThurso", as he was a Lord. John is not.
    John changed his name from John Sinclair to "John Thurso" to preserve the "Lord Thurso" implication of the name.
    Make what you will of that ...........

His Father was also a Viscount, it makes no sense that a Son would have inherited a different title to that which his Father held. It's all here on Wiki:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscount_Thurso

Quote Originally Posted by greenasiamcabbagelooking View Post
    sounds to me like John (known as John to almost everyone) is one of the idiot drivers tailgating the good folk of Caithness !!
    That's exactly what I thought when I read it!

The rest of the article reflects well on him.

Still not a Lord though.

Last edited by Dog-eared; 18-Aug-09 at 00:25.

He's in the times nearly every week. Jetting between here and Westminster still doesn't make him a lord as far as I know.

And why change Sinclair to Thurso ?

What's in a name?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    What's in a name?
    Exactly. I couldn't care if he changed his name to Florence von Carpet-Shampoo, as long as he serves the people well that he was elected to represent.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Exactly. I couldn't care if he changed his name to Florence von Carpet-Shampoo, as long as he serves the people well that he was elected to represent.

As he does
    Its nice to be nice

As far as the name goes - and the implication the of title .. does it help him..
    Last edited by Dog-eared; 18-Aug-09 at 01:04.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord

The term is just a generic word for a member of the aristocracy. John Thurso is still a viscount, lord, a member of the upper classes. As one of the largest landowners and the MP for the county, he is in a very unique position in which he can positively steer events that could be in his favor.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Aug-09 at 22:11.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord

The term is just a generic word for a member of the hoy polloy. John Thurso is still a viscount, lord, a member of the hoy polloy. As one of the largest landowners and the MP for the county, he is in a very unique position in which he can positively steer events that could be in his favor.
    Hmm, am I totally missing the point of your post or do you really not know the meaning and conventional spelling of hoi polloi?

I hope I'm missing the point and you will enlighten me.
    Last edited by crayola; 18-Aug-09 at 01:18.

Presumably Rheghead doesn't know what hoi polloi means - or maybe he's being complimentary and believes Lord Thurso to be one of the "masses". Given the hours he works, he could be considered a member of the Working Class (whatever that is).

Not sure what everyone means by "a Lord", which can be all sorts of things these days, including someone the Labour Govt. wants in Parliament and can't get in any other way e.g. Mandelson.

Lord Thurso did it the other way round - he is a Viscount and got to Parliament by being elected. Personally I prefer that route to Mandelson's.

As for steering events, he does that as an MP for the benefit of his constituents as anyone who has had dealings with him will tell you.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast