Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squawking Scorries time again

Default Squawking Scorries time again

That blasted scorries are back to their squawking all night again, I thought the council was getting some of them culled last year. Give me a gun id pop of a few no bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillie
    That blasted scorries are back to their squawking all night again, I thought the council was getting some of them culled last year. Give me a gun id pop of a few no bother.
    Watch they don't scoot on yee from a high height ;o)

ps no need for a cull, there are enough here already ;o)

Hahahahaha - and I thought it was just me. We have the equivalent of scorries round here but they're black. The crows nest in a tree at the foot of the garden - this year we have two nests and at 5am they start their "kraa-kraa-kraa" - they couldn't choose the tree in the middle of the field, they had to move in "next door".....

Maybe they are just full o the joy's o spring????

[quote=billy boy]Maybe they are just full o the joy's o spring????[/quot

If got my way they would be full of lead shot

just think it could be worse.....you could be living in a caravan with the blighters running across the roof.... believe me that would drive you mad

knightofeth Guest

Why should they be culled just because they annoy you? Just ignore them!

I know they are only squawking just now but wait till the young has hatched then they start to dive and swop, my boy got hit on the back of the head by one 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by billy boy
    just think it could be worse.....you could be living in a caravan with the blighters running across the roof.... believe me that would drive you mad
    Even worse, they could be in the tent with you!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

They can be a pest i admit..good alarm clock though there's a scorrie that comes and taps it's beak on my kitchen window..i think if i open the window wide enough he would come in!!

I know they are only squawking just now but wait till the young has hatched then they start to dive and swop, my boy got hit on the back of the head by one 2 years ago.
    Yip it happened to me several times im petriffed of them.swoopers of satan that they are lol heheheheheh

I don't mind them at all, they nest on my chimney year after year and I've not had problems with swooping, quite lucky in that respect as it can be quite dangerous. I probably stand alone on this but I think they are quite beautiful birds, looks wise and not habits I hasten to add LOL

I have one who regulary taps on my windows in the better weather, we have named him Steven after Steven Segal.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    Even worse, they could be in the tent with you!!
    even worse, you could be in the tent blasting off. i be like that poor sod in the sand except stuck in a sleeping bag!!! YOU COULD PUT NASA TO SHAME.

Friday, 27 July, 2001, 11:06 GMT 12:06 UK Gulls are gonna get you

The headlines shriek warnings about the rising gull menace, and now a marauding bird has seen off Royal Mail posties in central London. Why are seagull attacks on the increase?
    Heading for the seaside this summer? Then hang on to your chips, the gulls are back in town.
    July has been a busy month for grumpy gulls. First a pet dog was pecked to death in Devon, then several pensioners suffered cuts and gashes in a string of bird strikes in seaside towns.
    What have gulls ever given us?
    Flock of Seagulls haircuts
    Gull-wing cars
    Eric Cantona's quote comparing the media to seagulls

Now, posties are refusing to deliver mail to a quiet mews in central London following attacks by a vicious seagull.
    Dr John Firth, who lives in the mews, describes the suspect as a "slightly psycho herring gull" that has taken up residence on a neighbour's roof.
    Not only does the gull appear to be angered by the red mail bags, Dr Firth told BBC Radio Four's Today programme that he saw the bird dive-bomb someone heading for the local pub.
    At this time of year - the height of the nesting season - the gulls in question may be mother birds trying to protect their chicks.
    Beaked and dangerous
    But seagulls are also scavengers, attracted to resort towns in increasing numbers because of the easy pickings to be had from snacking holidaymakers.
    "Feed me"

Gull numbers are up about 7% a year in our towns, but the total population is 40% lower than 25 years ago.
    The more they gorge on discarded chips and sandwiches, the less inclined they'll be to look for fish.
    Peter Exley, of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, says as humans further encroach on the sea and coastal hills, gulls find it easier to live in urban areas.
    "There is evidence that some gulls are becoming less scared of humans as they're getting fed by them and more used to being around them.
    "An animal that's lost its fear can be dangerous. They've got a two-inch long beak and they will use it." You have been warned.

Just the point I was making

Friday, 27 July, 2001, 11:06 GMT 12:06 UK Gulls are gonna get you
    The headlines shriek warnings about the rising gull menace, and now a marauding bird has seen off Royal Mail posties in central London. Why are seagull attacks on the increase?
    Heading for the seaside this summer? Then hang on to your chips, the gulls are back in town.
    July has been a busy month for grumpy gulls. First a pet dog was pecked to death in Devon, then several pensioners suffered cuts and gashes in a string of bird strikes in seaside towns.
    What have gulls ever given us?
    Flock of Seagulls haircuts
    Gull-wing cars
    Eric Cantona's quote comparing the media to seagulls

Now, posties are refusing to deliver mail to a quiet mews in central London following attacks by a vicious seagull.
    Dr John Firth, who lives in the mews, describes the suspect as a "slightly psycho herring gull" that has taken up residence on a neighbour's roof.
    Not only does the gull appear to be angered by the red mail bags, Dr Firth told BBC Radio Four's Today programme that he saw the bird dive-bomb someone heading for the local pub.
    At this time of year - the height of the nesting season - the gulls in question may be mother birds trying to protect their chicks.
    Beaked and dangerous
    But seagulls are also scavengers, attracted to resort towns in increasing numbers because of the easy pickings to be had from snacking holidaymakers.
    Gull numbers are up about 7% a year in our towns, but the total population is 40% lower than 25 years ago.
    The more they gorge on discarded chips and sandwiches, the less inclined they'll be to look for fish.
    Peter Exley, of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, says as humans further encroach on the sea and coastal hills, gulls find it easier to live in urban areas.
    "There is evidence that some gulls are becoming less scared of humans as they're getting fed by them and more used to being around them.
    "An animal that's lost its fear can be dangerous. They've got a two-inch long beak and they will use it." You have been warned.

Just the point I was making
    Chillie, a wee question?.....is there any beastie you do like, you openly say you dont like cats, now you dislike Seagulls....is there anything that walks on four legs or flys that you do like?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

seagulls dinna bother me until they make a mess of my washing or my lovely clean hair then i ggrrrr. whats wrong with not liking cats not a big fan of them myself prefer dogs. everyone is different if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place with nothing to talk about.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Chillie, a wee question?.....is there any beastie you do like, you openly say you dont like cats, now you dislike Seagulls....is there anything that walks on four legs or flys that you do like?

I never said I dislike scorries, just they are a pest at this time of year,to have you know in my younger day's I was a keen ornithologist as well as a member of the YOC and RSPB. I love all all God's creature's, however I do have a dislike to the humble, smelly, flee ridden moggy because, when I was a child a cat jumped on my back and threw me to the ground, hence my dislike for them.
    Not all chillies are hot but do not be deceived

I never said I dislike scorries, just they are a pest at this time of year,to have you know in my younger day's I was a keen ornithologist as well as a member of the YOC and RSPB. I love all all God's creature's, however I do have a dislike to the humble, smelly, flee ridden moggy because, when I was a child a cat jumped on my back and threw me to the ground, hence my dislike for them.
    Lol Chillie, my wee heart bleeds for you, it must hev been a beeg cat
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Lol Chillie, my wee heart bleeds for you, it must hev been a beeg cat
    Thank's yer so kind, no it wisna a beeg cat, I wis a wee bairn.
    Not all chillies are hot but do not be deceived

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billy boy
    even worse, you could be in the tent blasting off. i be like that poor sod in the sand except stuck in a sleeping bag!!! YOU COULD PUT NASA TO SHAME.
    He loved it, couldn't you tell by the look on his face.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast