Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cat problem, anyone help.

Default Cat problem, anyone help.

My cat seems to have developed some form of OCD and will not stop grooming herself to the point of baldness. The Vet seems as puzzled as I am. She was given anti-biotics for an abscess and that's when the trouble started. Her discomfort and the ammount of pulled-out cat hair is driving me even more insane than I usually am. I would appreciate the wisdom of the Forum pet lovers in my search for an answer and cure.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

unicorn Guest

Try this link it may give you some info http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...&story_no=1547

unicorn Guest

Has she been checked for food allergies it can manifest itself in very strange ways. My dog was incredibly ill losing hair, nails face erupting in sores etc it was horrible and eventually we discovered she is allergic to protein.

I am sure your vet has checked for flea allergy dermatitis, food or medication allergy and any stress inucing changes in your cat's life. Exactly where is the bald spot? Is it over the abcessed area? Is the skin thickened and/or scaley? Does she eat a quality cat food or not?
    Sometimes it is behavioural and very difficult to do anything about it. Is she a lone cat, or does she have any canine or feline companions? If no underlying cause can be found, what sometimes helps is not letting them get bored: toys, outings, companions.... skin diseases are often the most difficult to diagnose and treat!
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_
    I am sure your vet has checked for flea allergy dermatitis, food or medication allergy and any stress inucing changes in your cat's life. Exactly where is the bald spot? Is it over the abcessed area? Is the skin thickened and/or scaley? Does she eat a quality cat food or not?
    Sometimes it is behavioural and very difficult to do anything about it. Is she a lone cat, or does she have any canine or feline companions? If no underlying cause can be found, what sometimes helps is not letting them get bored: toys, outings, companions.... skin diseases are often the most difficult to diagnose and treat!
    She's been at the vet three times and the bald spot is spreading. She is very particular about her food and normally eats well. We have another female cat who is quite aggressive and we are coming to the conclusion that the problem is stress related. Thanks for your input.

Unhappy

I sympathise with you, and your cat, as I have a cat with an ongoing mystery skin problem which thankfully is not so bad now.

As Ju said skin problems are really difficult to diagnose and treat.
    I find that 'natural' remedies work really well for skin problems.
    You can get a flower essence called 'Itch Free' from www.rainbowremedies.co.uk which is worth a try. Homeopathy can really help and I can point you in the direction of a couple of good websites but try the itch free first.

A really good product is called Derma Gel which stops the itching and encourages hair growth. It can stain the coat a wee bit but is worth it.

If you pm me your address I will send you what I have left for you to try.

I've pm'd you as my cat has a similar prob

Thanks for all the help. We have come to the conclusion that she is allergic to the new wormers that go behind the ear. If anyone else has had the same problem, the vet says that the drug company should be notified.

Liz, thanks for the stuff. It seems to be helping.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    Thanks for all the help. We have come to the conclusion that she is allergic to the new wormers that go behind the ear. If anyone else has had the same problem, the vet says that the drug company should be notified.

Liz, thanks for the stuff. It seems to be helping.
    I'm glad you sourced the problem and that the stuff I sent you is helping. The Derma Gel is really good and quick acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    Thanks for all the help. We have come to the conclusion that she is allergic to the new wormers that go behind the ear..
    I just used this stuff yesterday on my cat. I must keep an eye on him now, just incase it affects him in any way..I hope not because it's so much easier than the usual fight to get him to take a tablet.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

We got 2 cats a few years ago from a shelter and they both had completely bald tummies! Apparently they were over-grooming themselves out of boredom and stress (they had been there for 2 years and were too timid to leave their cage). Is there anything which has been stressing her out recently?

Found this on the net:

"Luescher et al (1991) found that the commonest stereotypy in cats is self-mutilation. It is thought that stress is a contributory factor in self-mutilation such as over-grooming.
    To treat the problem the cause of the stress must be identified. The cat may become stressed for a variety of reasons, which include; a new pet, person in the house, a new dog/cat in the neighbourhood, a new piece of furniture or carpet, a new visitor and confinement e.g. perhaps when travelling."

Anyway, I hope your kitty gets better soon!

p.s. once our two settled into their new routine their belly fur grew back!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    I just used this stuff yesterday on my cat. I must keep an eye on him now, just incase it affects him in any way..I hope not because it's so much easier than the usual fight to get him to take a tablet.
    For those of you who want to avoid chemical wormers you can get natural alternatives such as those found at www.simplyK9.co.uk and www.simplyfeline.co.uk Garlic is also really good at preventing fleas and worms.

Default Stranger and stranger

My cat's mother lives 15 miles from me and her daughter lives 22 miles from me and all three have the same problem. I've been visited by the other two owners. A strange business.