Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Smoking

Default No Smoking

So how is everyone coping with the new no smoking legislation - don't you think it's gone totally over the top? Fair enought banning smoking in enclosed public places like pubs etc but ridiculous things like farmers smoking in tractors, householders not able to have a cigarette in their own homes up to three hours prior to a workmens visit, lorry drivers coming over the border having to put out their fags and put up signs in their lorries - is the world going crazy?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jay
    So how is everyone coping with the new no smoking legislation - don't you think it's gone totally over the top? Fair enought banning smoking in enclosed public places like pubs etc but ridiculous things like farmers smoking in tractors, householders not able to have a cigarette in their own homes up to three hours prior to a workmens visit, lorry drivers coming over the border having to put out their fags and put up signs in their lorries - is the world going crazy?
    Yes, I think that things have gone a little too far! I too can see the sense in banning smoking in enclosed public spaces but how on earth are they going to enforce it where it relates to tractors and the like! How can anyone tell whether a cigarette has been smoked less than three hours ago! Can you imagine the pile of fag ends on the road on the border between Scotland and England!

The legislation will be brought in south of the border in the summer next year. So the pile of dogends by the roadside will only have a finite lifespan.

If I was sharing a tractor or HGV cab part time with someone else then I would use diplomacy and common sense to get the other person to refrain from lighting up. If that fails then I would go to my employer to take the next action. Obviously if that doesn't stop the smoking then my colleague will be looking for another job and/or my employer will be looking at a hefty fine.

Obviously common sense will prevail in 99.999999999% of occasions and the new law will be satisfied.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

what will happen in prisons? are they to be non smoking too? this is a workplace too.....

the ban is a good idea. trying to get hubby to smoke at the back door. wouldnt force him (yet) but would like it if he smoked outside.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

I believe prisons are to be exempt - which means that the wardens are still working in a smoking area

Reghead in reply to your comment, commercial vehicles of all sorts are now required to post signs stating that they are non smoking - signs must have specific text and must be clearly visable to people passing by, they must also show clearly the name of the person to complain to should you see someone (very possibly single occupant) in the vehicle. I should point out that I am a non smoker (or even worse an ex smoker) but I really do think that common sense has gone up in the proverbial puff of smoke on this one

Ban smoking in a tractor tell me how can this be ? First of all the farmer own his tractor so were do we have the right to tell him to stubb it out. It is only him in the cab there aint any room for two and the usal place for the tractor to be is in the field i think there taken this to far . Ok no smoking in public place yes i can understand that but some of the other places it's just to much .Were does it stop .

I'm glad this has finaly been introduced...ok we always knew about the health aspects, but the quicker smoking is portrayed as un-fashionable and un-cool the better it will be for everybody.

At last there will be no more "no smoking" and "smoking" areas in restaurants and cafes...which I always thought was crazy anyway. A "no smoking" area in a restaurant is a bit like having a "no peeing" area in a swimming pool.
    You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!

You of course realise that the smoking ban also takes in Caithness.Org, so will everybody currently sitting at their computer puffing away please either stub it out or step outside.

sssssh - don't even joke about it there will probably be an amendment to the law along soon!

just heard - at Dounreay people are not even allowed to smoke outside or in the privacy of their own privately owned cars!

I was in wetherspoons last night and could see across to the crown bar. in the hour or so i was watching one, guy came out to smoke about 4 times. Even if he's not giving up the fags for the sake of his health at least his liver is getting a rest. I don't know how much of a pint he managed to drink for the wee while he stood inside the pub he certainly stood outside longer than inside
    To stay young live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict
    You of course realise that the smoking ban also takes in Caithness.Org, so will everybody currently sitting at their computer puffing away please either stub it out or step outside.

As a non smoker it makes no difference to me but if the org took out a no alcohol while posting law i'm in trouble. Nothing like posting on the org while drinking a glass (bottle) of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I was in wetherspoons last night and could see across to the crown bar. in the hour or so i was watching one, guy came out to smoke about 4 times. Even if he's not giving up the fags for the sake of his health at least his liver is getting a rest. I don't know how much of a pint he managed to drink for the wee while he stood inside the pub he certainly stood outside longer than inside

How do you know it's pint's it could have been short's

Your right Chillie. i was just assuming its pints as thats what most of the men i know drink. Still if anyone is standing outside smoking they can't be drinking at the same time, thanks to the law that states you cannot drink alcohol in the street.

Yes I think you can!, I have seen people outside the crown in summer time sitting drinking, same with French restautant.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict

MadPict that is the best one yet, cough cough, put those fags oot Orgers....I'm getting annoyed now
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I can't wait until the tourists arrive in summer.
    Monty Python couldn't have invented anything more ludicrous.
    It's enough to make me take up both drinking and smoking again.

What next? Ration books for food in order to control obesity?
    "Sorry, Mrs McTavish, Willie had haggis last month, he's not allowed any more until June!"
    Remember, Holyrood have already issued a recommendation that children should not be allowed haggis more than once a week.
    And I thought it was only we English that were daft enough to believe you Scots ate nothing but haggis and porridge.

Wait until they notice what happens in parts of Scandinavia where they monitor how much alcohol you buy and if you reach even a fairly small regular level you are called in and sent to have treatment.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

I agree that this one has maybe seen common sense go up in smoke

re the post up a bit about Dounreay, the same has happened at where i work.

I have copied and pasted a section from here ....

Smoke free dawn for Scotland

26/03/2006
    Scotland woke up this morning to become the first part of the UK to implement a smoking ban in enclosed public places.
    The ban came into effect at 6am today making it illegal to smoke in restaurants, bars, cafes, hotels, theatres, bingo halls, church halls, sports centres, shopping centres, public transport, schools, hospitals, clubs, and workplaces, including lorries and vans.
    First Minister Jack McConnell said Scotland could now look forward to a healthier future while Health Minister Andy Kerr said there had never been a better time for smokers to quit than now.
    At Edinburgh Airport where he met new arrivals to the country to infom them about the new law, Mr McConnell said:
    "Scotland will be proud that it has gone smoke-free ahead of any other part of the UK. The smoking ban is absolutely the right way forward. It is right for Scotland, for our nation's health, our nation's economy and our tourist industry.
    "This country has always been a great place to live, to work, to bring up your children and even just to visit. Today, it just got better.
    "In the years ahead, people will look back on today as the day that Scotland took the largest single step to improve its health for generations. It is a day for all Scots to be proud of our nation. Scotland - the best small country in the world."
    In East Kilbride, where he joined customers and staff at a newly smoke free pub, Mr Kerr said:
    "Scotland is now smoke free. As well as protecting people from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke, this far-reaching and ambitious step will help many people to give up smoking. Evidence from Ireland and New York proves this.
    "There really has never been a better time to quit. I know how difficult it is to stop smoking but it is the best decision a smoker can make. Stopping smoking is not only good for the health of the individual but Scotland as a whole.
    "As a smoke-free nation Scotland can look forward to a healthier future. A future where Scots live longer, families stay together longer and our young people are fitter and better prepared to make the most of their ambitions.
    "It is a future that we can all look forward to and Scotland should be proud that it's leading the way in the UK."
    In Scotland, seven out of 10 people don't smoke and of those who do, seven out of 10 want to give up. Calls to the national quitline in 2005, at over 60,000, were almost double the number calling in 2003.
    In Ireland there has also been a significant drop in the number of cigarettes being smoked, particularly among heavy smokers since 2003. And in New York there are now nearly 200,000 fewer smokers since 2002.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Thumbs up

I was told that the bingo in the Francis St. Club on subday night was the best ever prizes, just because of the smoking ban more people attended.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

I didn't realise that there was a smoking ban imposed on tractors, I've just told my husband and he's says It's his tractor and he'll smoke in it if he want's to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast