Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A New Dounreay

Quote Originally Posted by sjwahwah
    Helps if you read the posts previous before you post yourself...
    I did
    the record is skipping.
    As an old campaigner on these topics, i can see you have learnt something...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    I reckon there have been more deaths proportionately as a result of the fossil fuel industry and renewable energy industry per kWh than the nuclear industry.
    You reckon? well.. let's go on that then... you reckon so.

But, in the meantime, I hope products, byproducts or technology of the renewable energy industry don't cause wars over who's going to be able to use this energy.. I also hope they don't start producing wind weaponry... that would be really dangerous ey? I also hope that this ugly wind and water pollution does not spoil the beauty or safety of this country any longer!! And my if any of that carcinogenic wind gets out... we're all doomed.

The mileage of high voltage cables will increase with the incidence of windfarms so then I take it you will be against them...
    I am against wind farms... unless of course they're community wind farms.

Anyways.... the infrastructure in Caithness cannot support many more wind farms... hence the need for mega-pylons to support a higher capacity? hhmmm.. word around the campfire is they've got some strong opposition from two councils concerning this very issue...

...again...

I hope the Dounreay site is not wasted altogether and it becomes a site to look into different types of renewable energy.So much time and life went into its making and running a legacy of continued study into energy alternatives would be good.

'Community windfarms, renewable energy,responsibility for supplying and saving as much of ones energy as possible.
    Tax on high energy using equipment in the home';

Just because this sounds like an pefect ideal world why do we have to reject it as unworkable. Because we are all convenience seeking,uncaring,and ignorant. I don't think so.

Our generation has a chance to make a real difference in the history of our civilisation.

It will be inconvenient, it will be difficult,and maybe affording some of the changes may be beyond us at first.

If people really don't trust the governments of this country,the middle east,russia etc to supply us with energy then DO what you can do for yourself now.
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

You reckon? well.. let's go on that then... you reckon so.

But, in the meantime, I hope products, byproducts or technology of the renewable energy industry don't cause wars over who's going to be able to use this energy.. I also hope they don't start producing wind weaponry... that would be really dangerous ey? I also hope that this ugly wind and water pollution does not spoil the beauty or safety of this country any longer!! And my if any of that carcinogenic wind gets out... we're all doomed.
    Talk now is of using renewable energy to provide hydrogen which will provide the energy source for the next generation of cars, buses, central heating.....military tanks. The rationale that I have is that humans will use whatever energy source to live how they want to live....and make others die with it. The evil is in the thoughts of humans to make others die, not the means to do it. You have isolated an energy source ie nuclear as a source of evil, I say no it isn't, I say the evil is in the minds that wield the power, whether it be renewable, fossil or nuclear.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 29-Mar-06 at 22:24.

Default A New Dounreay

What noboby seems to take into account really is these new technologies are far away in development. consider please the amount of people dying through heat poverty against deaths in the nuclear industry and honestly tell me they would rather have the heat povery. please anti nuclear get REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!. As far as pylons ruining the landscape you don't need more if you have 1 or 2 extra nuclear plants in Scotland, certainly many many less than the unsightly amount of windmills that are needed to generate enough electricity to Scotland. End of rant

Default A New Dounreay

PS i would love to meet Lorraine Mann spouting anti nuclear on the street.

Talk now is of using renewable energy to provide hydrogen which will provide the energy source for the next generation of cars, buses, central heating.....military tanks. The rationale that I have is that humans will use whatever energy source to live how they want to live....and make others die with it. The evil is in the thoughts of humans to make others die, not the means to do it. You have isolated an energy source ie nuclear as a source of evil, I say no it isn't, I say the evil is in the minds that wield the power, whether it be renewable, fossil or nuclear.
    The atmospheric polution and the radioactive polution is not a power that can be wielded, only created, and it is the creation that must be curbed or is it already too late? We fill the atmosphere with greenhouse gas from motor cars but is a requirement of the continued economic survival of our reality that we continue to make more and more motor cars which use up more and more fossil fuels which adds more and more CO and CO2 to the air we breathe which heats up the planet more and more until the oil runs out or the Earth becomes uninhabitable. I've said it before and I'll probably say it again, the human race is not only evil, Rheghead, it is downright crazy .
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    The atmospheric polution and the radioactive polution is not a power that can be wielded, only created, and it is the creation that must be curbed or is it already too late?
    Of all the radiation that we receive from the environment, 0.3% is attributed to anthropological nuclear sources. The rest is completely natural or from anthropological non-nuclear sources. Should we be worrying? We are far more likely to get cancer from eating over cooked toast...
    Last edited by Rheghead; 30-Mar-06 at 06:53.

Maybe this could be the future, taken from here

Tidal energy demonstrator to be built

29/03/2006
    An investment of £650,000 from the Executive has ensured that a hi-tech tidal underwater turbine demonstrator will be built at the European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC) in Orkney.
    The £8 million 'Neptune' project, developed by Scottish and Southern Energy's wholly-owned subsidiary Renewable Technology Ventures Ltd, is supported by the ERxecutive, the Department of Trade and Industry, Highlands and Islands Enterprise.
    Deputy First Minister Nicol Stephen said:
    "Scotland can be a marine energy powerhouse. Innovation is vital and I am delighted to announce this positive news for energy generation from our costal waters - the first tidal project of its kind in Scotland
    "The Executive has helped establish the European Marine Energy Centre in Orkney to help develop the sort of innovative and exciting projects like the one announced today.
    "The Neptune project is a massively important development for the growing Scottish marine renewables sector.
    "I am particularly encouraged by the company's estimate that Neptune has the potential to be commercially viable at a 'farm scale' of around 50 turbines. This would provide an impressive output of over 100MW of electricity, subject to a successful outcome from the demonstration project.
    "This demonstrates that the Scottish marine energy sector can make a real contribution towards meeting and exceeding our renewables targets."
    It is hoped that Neptune will be in the water at EMEC by the end of 2007, with testing throughout 2008.
    The £650,000 Executive funding will cover the site preparation costs at the European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC) which was initially established with £3 million of Executive funding.
    The DTI is to give the project £2 million in funding under its Technology Programme.
    The Executive has set a target of having 18 per cent of electricity generated in Scotland coming from renewable resources by 2010, rising to 40 per cent by 2020.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Of all the radiation that we receive from the environment, 0.3% is attributed to anthropological nuclear sources. The rest is completely natural or from anthropological non-nuclear sources. Should we be worrying? We are far more likely to get cancer from eating over cooked toast...
    Am I a fool or fanatic, or a wiser man? I have no certainties, only doubts and I would rather we were safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Gleber2; 30-Mar-06 at 18:44.

Am I a fool or fanatic, or a wiser man? I have no certainties, only doubts and I would rather we were safe than sorry.
    There is nothing safe about facing a dire energy crisis, air pollution, global warming, shadow flicker and ice throw.

Am I a fool or fanatic, or a wiser man? .
    Gleber2, that question is difficult to answer, I am no wise enough, but ask Gleeber he will be sure to have the correct answer
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Tugmistress thanks or posting this This form of technology has been around for a while ..I beleive the French have been harnessing tidal power in normandy for a couple of decades I remember some experiments done by the tidal research boffins from birkenhead in the early 80s on the the effects of the pentland firth tides as they passed over the old telegraph cable between Orkney and caithness to see what current was induced It was always a bit strange to me why there were no follow up as the guys seemed pretty excited at the time
    However I suppose at the time North sea oil and gas were hitting the big time and the governments energy policy was tuned towards that and getting rid of the UK miners ...re Tidal energy...... seems a brilliant idea It will save us reopening Braehour when the oil runs out

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Gleber2, that question is difficult to answer, I am no wise enough, but ask Gleeber he will be sure to have the correct answer
    Saw him last night and he wis too seek till say much o' anything.

Rheghead, say something I can really argue about. You're right, I'm right,everybody is right but only time will verify the facts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234