Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dunnet Forest

1. Default Dunnet Forest

Love the sky.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what that purple stuff is called and how you kill it?? The garden was infested when we moved here (only one in the village that has it - think the previous owners must have taken a cutting of something and brought it in) and no matter how many buckets of roots I dig out, the blasted stuff keeps coming back!

I think it is Purple loosestrife. Its seems to be growing mad on the roadsides just now. Pest of a think in the garden. Keep digging up the roots.

Lovely photo, it is Rosebay Willow Herb blows its seeds all over the place !
    The Organic Gardener says ..... Management: Rosebay willowherb is susceptible to shoot loss from trampling, cutting, burning and grazing. Liming is said to inhibit establishment.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Is it called firebay?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Is it called firebay?
    Fireweed is one of its common names.Introduced from North America in the 18th century.
    Purple loosestrife grows to over 6ft.
    Rosebay Willowherb only grows to 4ft so its easy to identify the difference by the height they are when in bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Fireweed is one of its common names.Introduced from North America in the 18th century.
    Purple loosestrife grows to over 6ft.
    Rosebay Willowherb only grows to 4ft so its easy to identify the difference by the height they are when in bloom.
    Ah, it's the second one then - thank you I'm afraid I've lost patience with the stuff - I've moved all the bulbs in that border and am engaging in chemical warfare!

I am more than a little confused now, is it not rosebay willow herb maybe I missed one when counting the petals. They are similar plants.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Quote Originally Posted by arana negra View Post
    I am more than a little confused now, is it not rosebay willow herb maybe I missed one when counting the petals. They are similar plants.
    It is Rosebay Willowherb (Epilobium angustifolium), Fireweed is a nickname given to it because the plant is associated with burnt or disturbed ground.

nirofo.

Beautiful picture and I think someone could have fun turning that tree stup into an octopuss.

As to the fireweed I though it was called that because it looks like the grounds on fire from a distance and the plant grows like a weed.

Good luck trying to get rid of it cazmanian minx,I'm fighting with ferns just now.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Thumbs up

A fascinating photo, MPH! Very pleasing to the eye!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    It is Rosebay Willowherb (Epilobium angustifolium), Fireweed is a nickname given to it because the plant is associated with burnt or disturbed ground.

nirofo.
    Perhaps, but I thought it was when it starts to seed it can look collectively like long grass on fire because of the red flowers and the seeds look like smoke.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

13. Default

A simple Google search reveals its nickname comes from the fact it looks like fire from a distance AND its reputation for springing up on burnt out ground (after forest fires etc.)
    Take your pick.