Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting the Strap in school

Default Getting the Strap in school

How many of you ''got the strap'' when you were at school.
    What for ? At what age? At which school?

What are your thoughts on strapping children now ?

In the early 1950s I was about twelve when my teacher strapped me because I had told her her brooch was undone and it was just about to drop off her jacket!
    Another time a teacher strapped me because I told him that he had made an adding mistake on the board - quite true. But OUCH !!

I was at the school when the belt-strap was banned. It was generally only ever given out in extreme cases in the Hillhead primary school & I did not recieve it, So that means I mustve been reasonably behaved.

krieve Guest

I have never had the belt or strap at school as it was no longer used. But I remember my Dad telling me about the times he got it. Even a ruler hit across the knuckles ouch but he soon learn to behave himself .

Got the strap a few times in both the primary and even more in the secondary, every time was for being caught at doing something naughty, and I only told my Mum once that I had been belted..........the belting she gave me was ten times worse
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I had the belt loads of times in the high school, mostly from the rector or depute rector, oh yes, and most of my teachers!
    It never did me any harm but it didn't do me any good either. I probably deserved it
    But thinking about it, our behaviour in class back then was mild compared to the behaviour today.

I got belted twice.... Once in primary school, I think it was for wrongly spelling something, it wasnt for misbehaving........ I was a well behaved pupil it left me feeling very confused and afraid of doing anything wrong after that! Which I believe was and is very wrong! Another time was at High School for allowing another pupil to copy from me if I remember correctly I was also made to go and stand outside the door in the corridor..........OMG the shame of it!:} Another time I was made to stand in a corner of the room with my face to the wall for failing to be able to tell the story of the prodigal son out of the bible! It leaves scars on you that are difficult to erase........for that reason I disagree with belting....you do not and should not teach a child to Fear! Very wrong! Neither can you teach a child something that he/she does not "need" to learn, no matter how much you shout, belt or punish!

Only once thank god

Hmm, I got the belt a few times - all in Wick High - and usually for being late. A certain janitor dobbed me in a couple of times. One teacher's trick was to have you hold your hands, one laid over the other palms up, about six inches above his desktop. He'd then belt you, and you would end up rapping your knuckles on the desk as you got hit. Pull your hands away and it doubled the punishment. If you attempted to 'go with the strike' it would result in more. One teacher even had a name for his tawse, another used to rub something into it to make it stiffer (stop giggling at the back boy...)

I seem to recall several kids coming out of a belting with the strap marks on their wrists - ah such happy days......

My primary school Headmaster used to call the tawse "Lochgelly" There was the ruler too across the knuckles or the duster which in them days was made of wood, it would get hurled across the classroom at you if you werent paying attention..... He was a nice man really!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    My primary school Headmaster used to call the tawse "Lochgelly" There was the ruler too across the knuckles or the duster which in them days was made of wood, it would get hurled across the classroom at you if you werent paying attention..... He was a nice man really!!!!!!!
    The Tawse was and still is made in Lochgelly in Fife
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Well the strap was banned when i was at school but one day i got caught going out the school boundary's and was sent to the head teacher. Were she threatened me with the strap for being a knotty boy so i went home and told my mum she was not happy that she was still threating pupils with the strap that was the last i ever heard about it. The head was a dragon and i hated her . grrrrrr

knightofeth Guest

Unfortunately the belt was banned by the time I was at school. I think it should be brought back as it didn't seem to do anyone harm. It would solve a lot of problems in schools today and in society in general.

think it stopped by the time i hit p3. could be p4. so long ago cant mind. never got it anyway, did get one of those duster things they used to clean the blackboards chucked at me when i was in high school learned to duck.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    The Tawse was and still is made in Lochgelly in Fife
    I don't belive that John Dick, the original maker, is still alive.

However there is a market for the tawse; it consists of a part of society with certain 'proclivities', saynomore nudge nudge wink wink.

I remember that madpict, did you ever encounter Thunderguts!!!! or Porkie in full belt rage? or Mason with the ruler over the hand...ouch.
    Live the Life

Too many times to rember at Thurso High.

It did me no harm - not sure if that is good or bad. I am not sure I think it is a good idea for general classroom control, it certainly was abused by some who dished it out - and I have seen some physical damage done to some people by inappropriate use of the belt.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Twice in the high school.
    Once for carrying on in the lines and once for not having my book with me, I didn't have it because they had changed the timetable and not told us. That was Downie, used to teach woodwork.
    We used to have a bloke in our year that said he would only behave in the classes if he was given the belt!!!!!!!!

Onc ein Primary schoolf for playing football in the wrong place - nowhere too outrageous. Then in senior school for impersonating Ringo Starr on my desk as the Deputy Head walked into the classroom. Ringo's timing was much better. I remember the sting and the occasion well. Stern discipline. Never did me any harm <he said>

Was on the receiving end of the strap twice at Wick High. The first on my second day at school by Mr Abernethy for mucking about with one of my pals. The second time from the dep (Hugh Clark) again for mucking about. Don't think it did me any harm, I know of at least two guys that got belted quite regularly and they are now sucessful businessmen.

bring it back, might sort out some of the behaviour you see from kids now a days

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast