Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Seagulls

Exclamation Seagulls

these gulls have taken to vandalism now both my neighbours have had the aerials ripped of there cars. and had the other half up at 5am this morning knocking at the window
    spoke to another one and they had him up before six
    have never seen them at this before does anyone else in the town have them at this ???? tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    these gulls have taken to vandalism now both my neighbours have had the aerials ripped of there cars. and had the other half up at 5am this morning knocking at the window
    spoke to another one and they had him up before six
    have never seen them at this before does anyone else in the town have them at this ???? tony
    These are not seagulls they're medieval dragons!!! Seriously, I would doubt very much that a seagull has the strength necessary to break off a car aerial, they certainly couldn't break mine off and it's just an ordinary aerial ?

nirofo.

Exclamation

[quote=nirofo;575897]These are not seagulls they're medieval dragons!!! Seriously, I would doubt very much that a seagull has the strength necessary to break off a car aerial, they certainly couldn't break mine off and it's just an ordinary aerial ?
    you mudt be joking these could punch a hole in the roof with the strenth of that neb. have had to throw them overside at sea
    but for the crack he was spotted at one and he must have taken to a chimney top as it cant be found cheers tony

Aye, Theyre getting worse than ever.
    I have another hate about them, but it aint their fault.
    PEOPLE FEEDING THEM!!!!
    It is Illegal, and an offence to do so. Most folks dont know that.
    I was at Nairn Harbour recently, and the Highland Council have posted nice wee signs on every lamp post telling folks not to feed them. They tell how it is an offence, and also say that nature is best left to its own devices.
    We could do with those signs round here.

Exclamation

you have hit the nail right on the head even chance, thats exactly the problem here is people feeding them tony

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Aye, Theyre getting worse than ever.
    I have another hate about them, but it aint their fault.
    PEOPLE FEEDING THEM!!!!
    It is Illegal, and an offence to do so. Most folks dont know that.
    I was at Nairn Harbour recently, and the Highland Council have posted nice wee signs on every lamp post telling folks not to feed them. They tell how it is an offence, and also say that nature is best left to its own devices.
    We could do with those signs round here.
    Here Here!!! I wholeheartedly agree! Thats my pet hate. Why oh Why do people insist on feeding them when (at least some) must know ITS ILLEGAL!

The are blooming dangerous right now as they are protecting their young. They are swooping down on people all over Wick. They have drawn blood on a few people I know and one even had to have stitches on the scalp!

I think we should have the signs too. Maybe the councillors should have spent the money on these as opposed to the Gaelic ones. Money better spent in my opinion!!

They can certainly make a mess of a car. I have given up washing ours as ten minutes after doing it its in as big a mess again.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bonami View Post
    They can certainly make a mess of a car. I have given up washing ours as ten minutes after doing it its in as big a mess again.
    they seem to wait until you have washed it tony

Hi folks,
    Im glad im not the only one that feels like this about these aerial pests.
    Cheers.

EC

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Hi folks,
    Im glad im not the only one that feels like this about these aerial pests.
    Cheers.

EC
    I do not see why people should have to put up with them, they should be culled back massively. They no longer do what they existed for, scavenging and cleaning the oceans and shoreline.
    On a lighter note , many year ago I was on a car park in Portree with my wife 3 year old son, mother in law and brother in law .We had just got fish n chips and the mother in law pie and chips , we were inside the car (a vauxhall victor estate) with the sun roof open scoffing with glee when a gull flew over head and let loose a great skitter straight through the sun roof and onto the mother in law's chips and cardigan. We laughed so hard we cried, that is, all but the mother in law, she wouldn't eat her pie and the greedy brother in law who was in the back seat with her scoffed the lot.

Well, I came out the house this morning, and noticed a strong smell of sulphur.
    I put the bins out as normal on a Friday, and got into the car. Whilst reversing out of the driveway, I noticed where the smell was coming from.
    The bloomin gulls had opened up a wheelie-bin just up the road from me, and had emptied the contents ALL over the pavement. What a mess.

Also, did anyone else see the Grampian news last night about the Herring gull now becoming a protected species as well. It told how Aberdeen Council were planning a cull untill this happened. Endangered species indeed!!!!!

Exclamation

yes i did notice on the grampian news last night that they are now an endangered species more of a danger to a bairn eating a fish supper in the street tony

Default Scorries

The scorries over in Lewis don't seem to be as bad as the ones I remember in Caithness.
    I think it may be because I have not seen anyone feeding them here or because we have many crows which keep the numbers down by attacking the eggs before they hatch.
    We also have wild mink which would also eat the eggs, keeping the population under control.
    My two mutts do not like them anywhere near the house - they try to see them off, they really dislike birds on their territory.

All I can say is stop feeding the scavenging birds - put out seeds etc for the smaller birds.
    Seabirds are meant to find food in the sea - not scavenge on land, in dustbins, on landfill sites.