Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: book club anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    If you like that sort of thing you will also like 'A brother's journey,' by richard Pelzer, 'lost childhood,' 'Sickened,' 'the kid,' Can't remember the authors right now, but all horrifically true accounts of an abused childhood.
    Yes i have read them also Katrina. Richard B Pelzer the Privilage of Youth is one i have missed.

Default books

I love reading also and will read anything. Just finished Kathy's Story by Kathy O'beirne which is true life brillaint read.Just started Ghost girl by Torey Hayden who wrote "One Child" which was ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Mary Jane Staples rings a bell. What are the titles of her books?

Have you read any Miss Read books? They are all about village life and is centred around the school. Again really good characters and just a lovely read. I read them all but gave them away as didn't have the space to keep them.

Mary Jane Staples - part 1 (list is too long...can't be posted in one go!)
    Down Lambeth Way (1988)
    Our Emily (1989)
    King of Camberwell (1990)
    Two for Three Farthings (1990)
    The Lodger (1991)
    Rising Summer (1991)
    The Pearly Queen (1992)
    Sergeant Joe (1992)
    On Mother Brown's Doorstep (1993)
    The Trap (1993)

Default Continuing answer to Liz

I've read all Miss Read's books....pity she is no longer writing.
    A similar author to Miss Read is Rebecca Shaw....she has a village series (Turnham Malpas series) and a vet practice series. Both are good.

Has anyone read any books by Doris Davidson? She's from Aberdeen and her books are based around Aberdeen and the North East. Similar to Catherine Cookson etc but with a local interest, it's great. Just finished reading "The Girl with the Creel" which starts off in Buckie and moves to Aberdeen.

[quote=Shalom]I've read all Miss Read's books....pity she is no longer writing.
    A similar author to Miss Read is Rebecca Shaw....she has a village series (Turnham Malpas series) and a vet practice series. Both are good.[/quote

I think she's dead isn't she?

I love Rebecca Shaws books but am never sure if I've read them in order. Should keep a list!

Crikey there are a lot of Mary Jane Staple's books to read!!!!

unleashedinhell Guest

Wink

I've just finished reading about Richard McCann. His mother was the first victim of Peter Sutcliffe..It's a true story of stolen childhood..and it's called 'just a boy'

unleashedinhell Guest

the girl next door is 1 of the best books i have read. its funny and it has a brilliant ending if u ask me that is a 5 out of 5 star.

unleashedinhell Guest

i have read a couple of these books by dave pelzer they r good.
    Last edited by unleashedinhell; 25-Mar-06 at 12:52.

Quote Originally Posted by unleashedinhell
    I've just finished reading about Richard McCann. His mother was the first victim of Peter Sutcliffe..It's a true story of stolen childhood..and it's called 'just a boy'
    I read that book also..if you liked it you will also like the books by Dave Pelzer..

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    I'm reading 'Roots' at the mo, I'll let you know what it was like when I've finished it.
    Is that the same roots on which the TV drama was based that played in the late 70's and had wholecountries grinding to a halt to watch it???
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Another good psychological thriller writer is Carol Smith.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234