Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Favourite Area

Default Favourite Area

What is your favourite area of Thurso. If you don't already live there where would you like to live. I'm talking about location not houses here. Mine would have to be the lower area of Mount Vernon. I like it because it is nice and green. You have the playing fields, river and boating pond at arms length. One thing That spoils it is when the carnies are in town.

My favouite will always be walking along the Victoria Walk to Scrabster via Burnside and up by the Rocket Shed ( I know you cannot do this now ) but standing at the old cottage at Burnside on a midsummer's eve and watching a four masted sailling ship in full rig crossing the sinking sun at midnight then disappearing into the darkness of the island of Hoy, that will be a sight I will never forget for the rest of my life.
    Golach
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I once spent an afternoon at the end of the platform at the railway station, watching the shunting engine rearrange a whole lot of freight carriages into trains to take the lambs away South after the lamb sales. This was back when the trains were still pulled by a mixture of steam and diesel locomotives. The engine that did all the shunting was a wee tank engine, not unlike Thomas, though nothing was as gaudily painted as Thomas and his friends in Sodor. I found the whole process fascinating.

My favourite location in Thurso is the road leaving it!

Doolally
    YE ARE OFF MY XMAS CARD LIST
    Golach
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Hi golach

am i on ur list ??

My favourite view of Thurso is from the top of the hill on the road between Scotscalder and Glengolly. The town seems to nestle in the bay and on a fine day it is hard to beat.
    Don Quixote

Default Favourite Area

Do you mean Olrig Hill?
    That's one of my favourite spots too.

I like the view of Thurso when you come towards it from the Wick road. Even though it's got a big green thang (ick... I've grown to hate that bit!) spoiling it... but Thurso's ma home! And the sight of the college just seems to remind me that I'm almost home.

My favourite part of Thurso has to be home. I love where I live because I have a perfect view of the Pentland Firth, Dunnet Head, Orkney and most of the town (which looks really cool in the dark - rows of streetlights yay! lol). I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Default Re: Favourite Area

Quote Originally Posted by freida murray
    Do you mean Olrig Hill?
    That's one of my favourite spots too.
    If that's on the B870 past the Garden Centre, near Glengolly, then yes!
    Don Quixote

Olrig Hill is Near Castletown. The Hill you might mean could either be Buckies Hill or Lieurary Hill they are either side of the road between Glengolly and Scotscalder

Zeebie Guest

Default My favorite Thurso area views

My kitchen window! I can see Scrabster, Thurso Bay, Dunnet Head, Hoy, the golf course...........the view is never boring, even on the darkest, stormiest days the sea is mesmerising. Then there is the ferry and other vessels to watch sailing in and out.

I also love to walk on Thurso's and Dunnet's beaches on clear calm days ....bliss.

Another favorite spot are the woods at Achvarasdale - magical.

We should thank our lucky stars.

Default Re: My favorite Thurso area views

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebie
    We should thank our lucky stars.
    I couldn't agree more!

Default Favourites

I'd just settle for any view of Thursa. thr approach from the south with the church tower that tells you there is not far to go.The view across the bay to the shell of the castle,hanging over the bridge looking up river,looking back from the Janetstown road as a sparrow hawk flies by.Best of all though..way up at the top of Forss Hill, the town nestling to the east,the great cliffs of Dunnet sparkling in the sun, Scrabster harbour where the ferries do battle with The Pentlnd Firth and away to the north the blue islands of Orkney whilst to the west and the south the Sutherland Mountains in all their myriad shapes like monoliths in a sea of bog and heather.

Scottie Dog Guest

I've been away from Thurso now for nearly 13 years, having moved to Aberdeen when I was 16 to find work. Whenever I come home to visit, (usually about twice a year if I'm lucky) I go up to the graveyard to pay my respects to my grandfather.

The view from up there looking back to town, and across the river is something else, especially on a warm day with the sun at it's highest...

On a less morbid note, I'm fond of taking a walk up 'e moors' by High Ormlie, (Mind you, it's been renamed into smaller streets now, hasn't it? Been away too long.. Sniff. )