Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Geography Question

Default Geography Question

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could explain the Geography to Thurso A bit to me. When a location is referred to as Ormly, Thurso, Caithness, Scotland. What are they referring to when they say Ormly? Is that a Suburb, is that a specific location with in the Town or Parish. I didn’t think Thurso was that Big or densely populated in 1800 that it would need to be
    Divided. But we have this Ormly places. What are the other subdivisions of Thurso? Is there a Map available from that time period?

Doug

Dont know if this will help but you can only have a look
    http://www.caithness.org/geography/

I'm guessing that Ormly might have been the area that the Ormlie Housing estate is now???

Have a look at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ enter Thurso. Select the enlarged view and you will see the town as at turn of century 19/20!. Ormlie at SW ie site of Ormlie Castle

Quote Originally Posted by dparad
    Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could explain the Geography to Thurso A bit to me. When a location is referred to as Ormly, Thurso, Caithness, Scotland. What are they referring to when they say Ormly? Is that a Suburb, is that a specific location with in the Town or Parish. I didn’t think Thurso was that Big or densely populated in 1800 that it would need to be
    Divided. But we have this Ormly places. What are the other subdivisions of Thurso? Is there a Map available from that time period?

Doug
    Ormly today is associated with a housing estate built to house workers at the Dounray nuclear power plant.

In 1800 it would have been the name of a farm, or two farms and the area the farm was in.

The nearest map I have to 1800 is the Hydrographic Survey of 1844.

Then there is the Ordnance Survey map of 1877.

Hey there, i actualy live in ormlie. These days It is a housing estate full of young families great play parks and happy kids. I wouldnt live anywhere else.

Default Thank You all So Much

Thank you all so much for your assistance. I have a much clearer picture now. The maps were most helpfull.

Thanks Again,

Doug

Hi I actualy live in ormlie too, today its full of young families 1 badly designed skate park(ask any of the skaters) and lots of drunken neds, i wouldint live anywhere else.