Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness Moths - Garden Tiger

Default Caithness Moths - Garden Tiger

If you like your moths gaudy then Garden Tiger is for you! Although still widespread it has declined in numbers since the 1980s. The cause is not fully known but there is statistical evidence that numbers are low after mild wet Januarys followed by cold Februarys - a weather sequence which is predicted to become more frequent as a consiquence of global climate change. Another moth that use nettles as a food plant at the larva stage.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Thumbs up

That's a real beauty, and what a fantastic photo of it, Pterodroma!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

FAntastic picture, Pterodroma!!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Thanks for your comments, both.

A stunning insect! There were 11 in my trap last night - wonderful sight. An interesting point is that the wing markings vary and although the general pattern is similar no two moths are exactly alike.

we were shopping at tescos just now and there was one resting on the windowsill, so that.s another one ticked off our list to find
    took a photo but it is a bit blurry will post it later
    Last edited by lynne duncan; 08-Jul-09 at 11:41.

I've hatched two of these beauties in my time, the most recent being this summer infact. They are the lovely fat, furry, black & ginger caterpillars!
    WeeBurd.