Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: log burners?

Default log burners?

Hi can anyone help I have just bought a multifuel stove/fire .When I burn coal in it, it works fine but when I burn logs in it,it is realy difficult to keep it lit.
    If anyone has any tips we would be grateful.thanks

A wee drop of diesel will get the logs burning

Is the draft control open or shut thats the knob on the side ?

just put a few chunks of coal on top of the logs, it works in an open fire so i don't see it will be much different with what you have.
    It intensifies the heat of the logs and keeps them burning better as i always found logs on their own to be pretty useless unless they had been dried for a couple of months.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Hi icebox we have tried it both open and shut it still wont work.

Well i cant think what it could be sorry has it got a throat plate ?

We bought some logs from dunnet forest a week or two ago and they were damp (great value for money though) unfortunately we ran right out of dry logs.trying to dry them very fast.

throat plate is that the damper ?

yes it cover the flume is it in place it could be stopping the flow of air that comes in at the buttom and goes out the flume

Thanks icebox will try that tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by devon lass
    We bought some logs from dunnet forest a week or two ago and they were damp (great value for money though) unfortunately we ran right out of dry logs.trying to dry them very fast.
    Green or damp logs are very difficult to burn.
    I find heating the chimney with a lit piece of newspaper gets a good draft going before the fire is started. Wood burning needs lots of air circulating. I am not suggesting that coal doesn't, I just don't know anything about coal fires.

Sooty Guest

Default Log Burner

When burning wood in some fires you have to take the throat plate out or lower it down a bit. It should just drop / come out easily. Also burn them on the fire base and not on the grate.

Sooty

Hi
    Dry wood is good
    We use peat as a base so the peat keeps the base going and the wood then throws out the heat.
    We ran out of peat, coal on its own is warmer and the ash not so fine and on everything around, suppose that peat isn't too env. friendly but it does smell nice and its cheap
    Good luck with it
    Dave

I have a wood burner but it takes an element of being organised to get the most out of the logs. I do this by planning one year ahead. I have one store for wood to dry over the year while I am burning the wood that dried out last year. I then repeat the process and gather wood to dry for next year..
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.