Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John O'Groats

Default John O'Groats

The Lonely Planet's dubbed it Scotland's most embarrassing tourist attraction but now John O'Groats is fighting back. Locals in the most north easterly part of the UK are calling for tourists to ignore the backpackers bible and see for themselves what the area has to offer

As a tourist attraction, John O Groats just doesn't hack it.

It is not necessarily the locals fault but when compared to Lands End, it lacks everything.

Jeepers - a car park, a few shoppies, and a closed Hotel. Why would tourists be thrilled with that?

There is something very magical about the scenery around John O Groats.I dont like the tacky tourist shops and the huge car park.The place could be so much better.
    Its the fixtures and fittings that let it down; that is what makes the place a huge disappointment
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

unicorn Guest

I hate the shop with all the flies in it yuck

who says Groats wants to be anything like Lands End?
    I know its not the best tourist attraction in the world but there is a lot more to Groats than just the harbour - there is a wonderful walk round the shore that nature destroys every year - which is then repaired - and while there - there is a chance you could see the killer whales that are making more and more appearances each year - there are the stacks with all the birds.
    All it needs is for people to take their blinkers off and they would be able to see loads more than just the carpark.
    But then again there are some people who only see what they want to see!

Groats has lovely scenery and great coast line but at the end of the day it's just a big car park with a few little shops in the middle that charge a fortune lol

Default Groat's

Well it's great to see the truth at last IT'S A HOLE .Your could find better stuff in a landfill site .C A S E spent a forture on Groat's and its still crap. There is not enough visitors to the area to make it pay ,so there is no reason to spend money on it . Its the Buttlands of the North, its had its day .Closed for most of the year .So will the last to leave ,Turn off the light .

I like John O' Groats. Yeah sure they could do more with it commercially, and maybe they will. For me though, it's not about the carparks and shops, it's about the sea and the land.

Sutherland850 Guest

I think it would be alot better if someone would open the hotel thats shut - or atleast do something to it. Who owns it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland850
    I think it would be alot better if someone would open the hotel thats shut - or atleast do something to it. Who owns it?
    Don't know who owns in but i think it is beyond repair its such a shame .

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    I like John O' Groats. Yeah sure they could do more with it commercially, and maybe they will. For me though, it's not about the carparks and shops, it's about the sea and the land.
    Yep, and the sea and the land at Land's End is equally spectacular, and there is a great coastal walk round to the centre, but they also have some amenities and you don't quite feel you are getting your eyes ripped out!

Quote Originally Posted by DW
    <snip>... and you don't quite feel you are getting your eyes ripped out!
    I can't say I've had that experience at John O'Groats.

Know what you mean about the flies Unicorn.

My Two year old went in the door and about turned, she refused to go in because 'it stinked'. Wasn't even in the summer it was about a month ago!

When I was a kid growing up in Ayrshire,I thought John O Groats was a famous Scotsman like Rabbie Burns.

Its not the most exciting place in the world,but it has got a wee bit o' magic about it.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Its not the most exciting place in the world,but it has got a wee bit o' magic about it.
    I totally agree with you Cedric. I would often drive out to John O'Groats just to enjoy the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    When I was a kid growing up in Ayrshire,I thought John O Groats was a famous Scotsman like Rabbie Burns.

There was a bloke called Jon de Groot up therre a few years ago, thats why its called John o groats ,or Car park city if yer P.C & trendy.
    Hands up who thinks theres lots to do up there? Come on yer having a laugh. I personally like Groats,the people up there are Ace but its been found wanting in a very big and hardly indefensible manner today & I think that it`ll struggle to shake off the tag of car park rip off & Grotty shoppie Groats

The hotel is owned by the same people that own Lands End. I think the hotel could be a real asset to JOG, it looks so dismal at the moment. It should be renovated back to its former glory, it has a lovely restaurant with a huge bay window over looking the sea. imagine having your wedding there. There could be antique fairs and craft fairs held there, business seminars, special weekend offers in the winter, a good restaurant serving local produce.
    I think it's disgraceful the way it has declined, it's a superb building, when I was working in JOG last year the amount of people that said how awful the hotel looked spoke for itself.
    I don't know if the council could intervene before the place totally fall to pieces, something should definitely be done.
    If I win a couple of mil on the lottery I'd give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by neepnipper
    The hotel is owned by the same people that own Lands End. ...................business seminars, special weekend offers in the winter, a good restaurant serving local produce.
    That's what it used to be like - a great place for a meal.

Angry

Yes year ago a great place for food and a dram, but how things have changed, Still a great view of the sea and Stroma - BUT derelict Hotel - and how much money has been spent on Tatty shops that are the worst in the county.
    It is known the world over it's about time that the Highland Council plus others got their act together and put real investment and expertise into making it one of the best sites in Scotland.
    It is being done in Inverness with the multi million upgrade to Eden Court and even in Thurso with the Town hall project.
    Lets see some action.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryman

It is known the world over it's about time that the Highland Council plus others got their act together and put real investment and expertise into making it one of the best sites in Scotland.
    It is being done in Inverness with the multi million upgrade to Eden Court and even in Thurso with the Town hall project.
    Lets see some action.
    Aye, recent tender advert in The Herald for a £5m refurbishment of Inverness Town Centre..

How long since it was last done?????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast