Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadband

Default broadband weegie

i also have been having problems with bt homehub and thinking of changing

I am with Bt and fingers crossed have had no problems with them my oh is wirh AOL and has no end of problems with them xxxxxxxxx

First join quidco.com then look for an alternative provider via their site, I did and got £70 cashback for migrating to O2 who are incidentally a lot cheaper than my previous provider (madasafish) and I have unlimited use.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    First join quidco.com then look for an alternative provider via their site, I did and got £70 cashback for migrating to O2 who are incidentally a lot cheaper than my previous provider (madasafish) and I have unlimited use.
    No you don't. They say you have, but they're telling porkie-pies. Unfortunately, you are still subject to their Fair Use Policy (FUP).

There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services.
    (Taken directly from http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/broadband.)

Quite what would represent usage that is 'so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected' is open to conjecture. O2 themselves are fairly reluctant to provide any further detail - basically, they can decide whatever they want in that respect.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

I don't think there is many service providers left within the UK that doesn't restrict or limit the speed of your connection

I'm with bt and am restricted every other night however because I download a lot of stuff its something that I have to put up with (and make sure I get everything I want before 6 pm)

Because i work tech support some of the horror stories i have heard is unreal personally I would go without internet access than give AOL / Talk talk (one and the same now people) and Tiscali my business yes Bt are not perfect but there is worse out there

Given the restrictions in place I wonder what will happen when we all embrace this new digital revolution of streaming HD quality because at the moment most providers are struggling to cope with filesharing and are restricting speeds so where is the line drawn with legit streaming films its still large volumes of data at the same time
    Last edited by The Angel Of Death; 14-Jul-09 at 01:24.
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

tiscali here and never had 1 problem at all

Quote Originally Posted by The Angel Of Death View Post
    I don't think there is many service providers left within the UK that doesn't restrict or limit the speed of your connection
    I'd agree, unless we're prepared to pay a hefty price for a dedicated 1:1 symmetrical non-contended leased line. And how many of us can afford to do that? Few, given prices quoted at around £499 per month ex VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by The Angel Of Death View Post
    Because i work tech support some of the horror stories i have heard is unreal personally i would go without internet access than give AOL / Talk talk (one and the same now people) and Tiscali my business yes Bt are not perfect but there is worse out there
    I'd agree to a certain degree. BT are bad, but there are a lot worse. There are quite a few better though, but again it all comes down to how much you're prepared to spend.

Any deal that offers me an ADSLMax connection for much less than £20pm isn't going to provide me with what I want. But that's not to say that anyone else has the same requirements as I do.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

There is a Network fault with BT at the moment, well at least in Pulteney that is. Should be repaired within 48 hrs, I was dropping out as well but hopefully no more!!!!

Mine works fine for my xbox, thats good enough for me

Default Bt

I have been with BT a while now and things have been fine.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

i had alot of hassle with BT so changed to Tiscali, way better service and way cheaper. im now paying £17.50 for unlimited usage. had no problems and when i moved home they called me to let me know what was happening and when it would be working. i would highly recommend them

have notice bt hub does lose connection for a few seconds but its back on sraight away then
    where to she go ?

Quote Originally Posted by simple338 View Post
    im now paying £17.50 for unlimited usage.
    You wont be getting unlimited use just a case of your not going over there threshold for example many months i have gone over 100 gb of data transfer and have seen upwards of 150 before you get a nice polite email from them

I fought for AOL on this place for the past 2 and a bit years,cos we never had a problem with them,then we did.Really bad connection,really bad service.Moved to BT.Excellent connection and service.One wee thing,whats aw this stuff about speed on broadband,is this downloading,etc?
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Default Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    I fought for AOL on this place for the past 2 and a bit years,cos we never had a problem with them,then we did.Really bad connection,really bad service.Moved to BT.Excellent connection and service.One wee thing,whats aw this stuff about speed on broadband,is this downloading,etc?
    Most seem to sell these deals, and the one I signed up to with AOL (before I was in the know) was a top of the range mega bucks deal that was going to give me up to 8mbs, the key phrase being up to.
    If you do a speed test, like this one I just did.

and it not 8mb then they will blame anything , but themselves and still enjoy taking your money.

If you want to test your speeds click here,
    Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    and it not 8mb then they will blame anything , but themselves and still enjoy taking your money.
    That's the thing though no disrepect but most people see the 8 mb speeds and think there going to get that they don't factor in line lengths and condition of the line the exchange and where its based etc

However they shouldnt get away with this (and i think they have all been slapped silly for this of late) they should be giving you a approximation of the speed by doing a simple line test that will show what the line is capapble of and it will sort it out once and for all

The thing is say your line is only capable of 2 mb then it doesnt matter who your provider is they wont be able to give you faster than 2 mb

You cant turn a fiesta into a ferarri now can you

Default Naive

I supose we have all been a little bit naive at some time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    My fella is on AOL and he often loses the connection which is annoying as we use the net a lot as he stays in in edinboro x

Lightbulb

I've been with AOL for the last 5 years and have had little or no problems. Any probs were sorted out quickly and efficiently.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    There is a Network fault with BT at the moment, well at least in Pulteney that is. Should be repaired within 48 hrs, I was dropping out as well but hopefully no more!!!!
    Somebody is fobbing you off, Pultney would need a bomb to create a "Network fault" that affected it but not the "Weekers". They all come from the same exchange hence you would have to cut all the cables going one way but not touch the ones going the other way. IMPOSSIBLE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12