Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Rector for WHS

krieve Guest

I think Mr Traill will bring a very welcomed changed to wick high school.
    What people forget is alot of the teenagers at wick high school don't get enough disapline and are left to run riots. not all teenagers are troublemarkers and most of them do respect there elders it is just all we ever here about is the troublemakers so if he can sort out the troublemakers surely this can only be a good thing for wick high school.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn
    If you look at this old thread about school uniform for wick you will find even then motopit crew was against the authority of head teachers no matter who they were.
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4493&page=2
    Very interesting reading eh?

I think we can all work out what kind of parent MP is............ clearly not supportive of the school

It also sounds as if he/she is a THurso parent so no worries there for WHS!! :

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner
    I must say that when I was at W.H.S, taking geography in Mr Trail's class that I never found him to be hard on myself or the rest of the kids.
    He could discipline someone with a roar but hardly ever resorted to the strap, (to my knowledge), when it was allowed and many other teachers would use it as a matter of course, I know which I prefered and it wasn't the strap.
    Teachers have a hard enough time disciplining schoolkids without parents trying to negate the teachers authority by complaining because their child got a rollicking at school, maybe this gives the kid the idea that they can do whatever they like and they are untouchable because mum or dad will go to the school and sort the teacher out.
    I also had no problems with Mr Trail, I rate him the best of the Geography teachers I had at WHS.

It was invariably the same old faces who got into trouble at School, if you behaved yourself there was never a problem. The fact is that some parents just can't accept that their little "darlings" can do any wrong. If parents took more reponsibility for their children's behaviour from early on it would allow teachers to get on with teaching and would make for a better learning environment for all.

Default Who are we to judge?

I was bullied by a teacher at one of my schools and in those days it was very unusual for parents to intervene. Their view was that if a pupil got a row they deserved it which I acknowledge was true sometimes.

However.... I KNOW they were wrong on many an occasion at this particular school because this one teacher was a detestable bully and was renowned as such. I was walloped over the back of the legs with the strap just for standing waiting to have my homework corrected. Not talking or carrying on, just waiting but somehow or other got on the teacher's nerves.

There is no guarantee that teachers can't be bullies same as there are police personnel who are bullies, bosses who are bullies, work colleagues etc., etc.

No, I am not a trouble maker and no, I never had to see a teacher about the behaviour of my offspring either. I just know that there are two sides to every story and I can assure you that if I thought a child of mine was being treated unfairly and frightened of going to school because of a teacher or bullying, I most certainly would intervene.

I wish my parents had but I think they were as intimidated as me by authority so I just had to suffer.

I do not know Mr. Traill but surely people would not brand him as a bully just for the sake of it. And we shouldn't judge as we don't know the children involved. There are some who deserve chastisement but let's not assume that motopitcrew's family need it.

Motopitcrew told us that his child was being bullied and in this age of enlightenment where we are assured that bullying will not be tolerated, surely that child did the right thing in going to his teacher.

As I said before, who are we to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by motopitcrew
    As a parent meeting with mr trail i found him to be a abusive bully . and thinks that he & his staff are the only people with rights at the school
    he willnot let the children give thair side of the story instead he just shouts at them. when i went to complain about this he tryed to do the same with me
    every time i tryed to say something he would just talk over me and not let me speak.however after being told by myself of his ignorance we resolved the matter. however my son was given detention by mr trail the next day for involving me in the dispute (morral of this tale you cant talk to a bully about bullying) it just dosent happen in his school

Wick high school you are welcome to him

And thair is a difference between respect & FEAR
    What a load of Motopit!!

If you would read my post properly you would see that my son was the victem of a bully and went to Trail to tell what was happening but instead got shouted at by this madman about how he was a big lad how was it possable for this other boy to bully him and that bullying didnot happen in his school. that is what i complained about only to be spoken down to by this horible person. infact he tryed to bully me but met his match.

I would like to thank the people who sent pm's and would like to quote what was said but i wont out of respect

I would also like to know how my going to the school and complaining about my son being bullied and the schools refusal to do anything about it is undermining the authority of teachers or pupals.

And its no wonder that the people that you lot call lurkers dont post they are scared to express a opinion as you lot will just down them

I personally think that Mr trail will be a good influence on wick high . as for him being a bully as motopitcrew stated i think that is a load of rubbish Mr trail is very well respected as a teacher and if he wasn't up for the job he wouldn't of got the post as rector. he has my full respect and if any one can do the job he can in turning the high school round .

all the best to Mr trail

Quote Originally Posted by DW
    Very interesting reading eh?

I think we can all work out what kind of parent MP is............ clearly not supportive of the school

It also sounds as if he/she is a THurso parent so no worries there for WHS!! :
    why dont you just come out and say what you meen what kind of parent am i .
    and at no time have i said that i dont support the school but if i have a problem with something or someone i sort it out

as for school uniform you show me the legeslation doccuments that says uniform is compulsary in a state school and i will abide by it other than that get off my back

Quote Originally Posted by Ann
    I was walloped over the back of the legs with the strap just for standing waiting to have my homework corrected. Not talking or carrying on, just waiting but somehow or other got on the teacher's nerves.
    Go on. Name the school, or at least the county...............

Undoubtedly what happened to you was assault and I would expect a parent to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann

As I said before, who are we to judge.
    Equally, you cannot use your own experience to try to justify the possibility that Mr Traill may be a bully. I DO know Mr Trail, I was in his class for a few years and never saw any pupil being bullied. I would think that over a period of more than 30 years, particularly in these current, mamby-pamby times, that a bully would have been in trouble long ago and not have risen to the top of the School.

It is clear that the Motopitcrew has a problem with accepting authority. It would be pretty hard to bring that attitude to any discussion and hope to come to a meaningful resolution. It is claimed that the child was bullied, what proof do we have of that? We are all pretty good at making excuses for our children and it is probable that there are more than two sides to this particular story. One thing that I find to be true is that when one gives respect then one is more likely to receive it in return. If you go in with a McCain factory on each shoulder, it is more probable that you will be saying Goodbye Mr Chips!!

So does anyone know when Mr Trail is taking up this post?

Motopit has a view that is as valid as any of you lot however i dont like to see people named as "bullies" on a message board and any specific incident relayed which could lead to the identification of the child involved.

Equally however i am appalled to see people draw conclusions from motopits comments that are critical about his family and his parenting skills - these are quite personal comments which i think are uncalled for.

Now folks

WE have a saying where i come from that goes "I take as i find" we can only judge people on our dealings with them and thats what motopitcrew is doing and its the same as you are doing - who's to say that one isnt as isnt valid as the other. I have been here a long time now - not lurking anywhere just around - sometimes posting sometimes not but it strikes me that a little more care and consideration should be put into how you respond to someones opinons because other people's feelings can be hurt and you can be truly unpleasant at times. Sometimes people are unwelcoming and motopitcrew is right - why would new posters post if they feel their - equally valid - opinion is going to be laughed at and ridiculed and lead to questions about their parenting skills which are put across in a really snide manner. If you disagree with what motopitcrew says then disagree but there is no need to snigger and take a side swipe at him for saying what he thinks.

To my mind few of you have made any comments of value about Mr Traill - nothing about his leadership abilities, his intellectual capability; his ability to influence and negotiate what will happen with the school. No one has highlighted anything about his ability to pull Wick high school up by its proverbial socks and get better exam results; his ability to drive forward continuous improvments and to enthuse and motivate both staff and pupils. No one has mentioned whether he is objective, committed to equal opportunities and prepared to wipe away the small mindedness that often filters into places like Wick and sometimes into places like this message board.

Thats the stuff i would be interested in if my children were still going to wick academy

Quote Originally Posted by squidge

Thats the stuff i would be interested in if my children were still going to wick academy
    I can't understand the relevance of the fact that your kids go to watch a Highland League football team!

I dont know the details mp but if i understand where you are coming from. Dont let these people wind you up anymore than Mr Traill has they just arent worth the bother. You know what happened and you know what like he is so let whs have him then they can see for themselves. goodluck to you and your child.

I wish Mr Trail all success at Wick, I do hope the parents whose children attend Wick also support him by getting involved in the Parents & Teachers Association, because it was my experience that only a very small minority of parents took an active interest in this valuable group. Look what Thurso PTA have achieved raising money for a new mini bus. A successful school is a team effort from the headteacher, parents ,office staff, pupils, head of departments, teachers, cooks, cleaners ,janitors everybody part of the same school community with the same objectives. Without this feeling of working together to achieve the same goals even with the best head teacher in the world, will not improve a school. I hope a Mr Trail heralds a fresh start for Wick and that everybody works together to make Wick the best school it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo1
    I dont know the details mp but if i understand where you are coming from. Dont let these people wind you up anymore than Mr Traill has they just arent worth the bother. You know what happened and you know what like he is so let whs have him then they can see for themselves. goodluck to you and your child.
    Wick High School did have Mr Trail...very respected teacher indeed.

Look, it doesn't really matter what we think aboot him, he's the boyo noo.
    We can only wait and see what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by angela5
    Wick High School did have Mr Trail...very respected teacher indeed.
    Thats good they should be happy to have him back then. The very best of luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo1
    Thats good they should be happy to have him back then. The very best of luck to him.
    More than........

Quote Originally Posted by angela5
    More than........
    LOL LOL ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast