Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of respect = Lack of dicipline

Default Lack of respect = Lack of dicipline

Have been reading a post on my thread about thurso beach, and in y oppinion the problem is simple there is no dicipline for kids anymore, whether it be at school or at home you just arent allowed to say or do anything, so the kids are just left to run amok.

I mind when i was little at school we used to get the belt, and my god you knew all about it if you did and you never did anything wrong again, so in my eyes if we step up the dicipline then these thugs might be put in their place.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Good old fashioned common sense Balto.........we live in a society where there are little or no consequences and for everyones sake, this should be changed...otherwise how are kids going to learn that self dicipline will serve them well in life.

Completely agree with both comments.Discipline is needed in every area of life.........something the younger[not all] generation have not a clue about.They seem to think the world owes them from birth and they can do as they please ,with no recourse.
    I thrived,as a child ,with discipline,both at school and home.It still figures in my daily life...........

Quote Originally Posted by BINBOB View Post
    Completely agree with both comments.Discipline is needed in every area of life.........something the younger[not all] generation have not a clue about.They seem to think the world owes them from birth and they can do as they please ,with no recourse.
    I thrived,as a child ,with discipline,both at school and home.It still figures in my daily life...........
    we were the same, you did wrong you were punished for it, now if you say anyting to the kids these days they just threaten to phone childline, just crazy.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Disipline begins at home - it's up to the parents. Unfortunately some of them think its the responsibility of others, like school teachers!!!!!!!!!!
    Dread to think what the next generation will be like.
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    I mind when i was little at school we used to get the belt, and my god you knew all about it if you did and you never did anything wrong again, so in my eyes if we step up the dicipline then these thugs might be put in their place.
    May one ask how long ago you were in school - it will give perspective on when the problems started?

I personally think they should reinforce national service....i really do believe the country would be better off for it....leave school straight into an armed force... the army would soon sort em out
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Stack Rock View Post
    Disipline begins at home - it's up to the parents. Unfortunately some of them think its the responsibility of others, like school teachers!!!!!!!!!!
    Dread to think what the next generation will be like.
    but you arent allowed to even give then a slap on the bck of the hand anymore, thankfully my kids arent that bad that i need to worry about it to much.
    Quote Originally Posted by PantsMAN View Post
    May one ask how long ago you were in school - it will give perspective on when the problems started?
    i attended school most likly for the same lenght of time as you did, i was using that as an example, i was never a bad one a school.

i attended school most likly for the same lenght of time as you did, i was using that as an example, i was never a bad one a school.
    Sorry, I didn't make my request clear enough - were you for instance, at secondary school in the 50s, 60s, 70s or what?

Sorry, I didn't make my request clear enough - were you for instance, at secondary school in the 50s, 60s, 70s or what?
    aye ok sorry, i started primary school in 79 i think.

id like to add comment here but i wont..i'll be good..did you not know PantsMan she only 18 (again) just turned
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
    id like to add comment here but i wont..i'll be good..did you not know PantsMan she only 18 (again) just turned
    sssh your not ment to tell a ladys age. sorry did i say lady lol

sssh your not ment to tell a ladys age. sorry did i say lady lol
    SORRY BALTO...(head held in shame)
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

It may be interesting to note that -
    "And in 1980 a study by Edinburgh University's Centre for Educational Sociology, conducted among 40,000 school leavers, showed that only 1 in 20 boys went through secondary school without getting the tawse ("Children under shadow of the belt", Daily Record, 26 November 1980.) This suggests a considerably higher level of usage of CP overall than the average in England and Wales."

IMHO - given we are talking about today's yougsters, it is people who were children in the 60s and 70s who banned the belt and who changed society into what it is today. I reckon that the Thatcher era, with its focus on personal wealth and the 'grab it while you can' philosophy, has much to answer for the society we now face.

Thumbs down

Have been reading a post on my thread about thurso beach, and in y oppinion the problem is simple there is no dicipline for kids anymore, whether it be at school or at home you just arent allowed to say or do anything, so the kids are just left to run amok.

Let's all go back to the dark ages then - you don't have to lash your bairns with a belt to teach them respect and discipline. I have three kids, they are well mannered and they behave themselves, I can take them anywhere without any hassle.I would never dream of hitting out at any of them.
    I used to regularly get lashed with a belt or a slipper when I was little and TBH it made me very resentlful, I didn't really do anything to deserve it.
    I do agree that a lot of children are out of control but it's the parents who need educating, not the bairns to be lashed with a belt !!
    I've seen people walloping their bairns across the back of the head or screaming in their faces - there is no need for it. Treat your kids with the respect that they deserve and they'll repay you for it in the end ! I'm not a wishy washy liberal who doesn't believe in smacking but there really must be a limit and I'm afraid, in my humble opinion, corporal punishment is over stepping it !

Quote Originally Posted by mrsinkstack View Post
    Let's all go back to the dark ages then - you don't have to lash your bairns with a belt to teach them respect and discipline. I have three kids, they are well mannered and they behave themselves, I can take them anywhere without any hassle.I would never dream of hitting out at any of them.
    I used to regularly get lashed with a belt or a slipper when I was little and TBH it made me very resentlful, I didn't really do anything to deserve it.
    I do agree that a lot of children are out of control but it's the parents who need educating, not the bairns to be lashed with a belt !!
    I've seen people walloping their bairns across the back of the head or screaming in their faces - there is no need for it. Treat your kids with the respect that they deserve and they'll repay you for it in the end ! I'm not a wishy washy liberal who doesn't believe in smacking but there really must be a limit and I'm afraid, in my humble opinion, corporal punishment is over stepping it !
    didnt say to go back to the dark ages, just think a bit of dicipline wouldnt go wrong, i myself have 4 kids and know they behave outside the house.

we were the same, you did wrong you were punished for it, now if you say anyting to the kids these days they just threaten to phone childline, just crazy.
    I mind getting rows from the neighbours and my pals mum and dads but if I went running to my mum she backed them up, not me. That sort of thing is missing now, like someone said it is good old fashioned common sense.

I agree

I was strapped at school and i dont think it made me behave better. Respect breeds respect and not screaming in a child's face or knocking them off their feet is a good place to start. I would not allow any teacher or any other individual to physically discipline my children. I do not agree that coporal punishment makes any difference or teaches respect.

That doesnt mean that i dont beleive in smacking a child. I think there is a place for a smacked hand, bottom or legs in a loving home where it forms part of a disciplinary tool kit. That does not include punching kicking or hitting with any object btw. You are right to say discipline begins at home - it absilutely does but so many parents have lost their way with it. It seems to me that some parents cant say no to their children, and are afraid that disciplining them will somehow embarras their children so they avoid confronting things with them.

Another time I mind is a mobile grocer van used to come round my Nana's every night and I stole a penny sweetie and she took me to the van next night and made me say sorry, needless to say I never stole again.

I can't see a problem with the dark ages............I lived in them............and would not have considered behaving as badly in company as so many children do today. We had discipline and boundaries from toddling age and none the worse for it.

But I feel the difference today is not that lack of respect= lack of discipline.......but that lack of discipline=lack of respect. Children need parents to behave like parents..........not best friends or wishy washy doormats. I am often horrified at the way I hear children of primary school age and under talking to their parents......there is no respect there at all.

Too many parents forget that if they allow young children to dictate at home, they will do the same outside...........if they put up with bad behaviour at home for the sake of a quiet life, that bad behaviour will be carried outside the home. If you do not teach your children to respect your property and their property, they will not respect other people's property.

I was always taught to respect all adults until they gave me a good reason not to respect them, but it looks today as if many children because of the current "respect has to be earned" ethos are brought up with no respect for other people, other people's property or authority.......and too many never learn it.

I despair of many of the parents of the current and future generations, because they are doing their children no favours at all. Unless they intend to keep their children within their own four walls for life, they are, at some stage, going to have to go out into the real world......and I don't know who will get the biggest shock........them or us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast