Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Something wrong??

Default Something wrong??

Is something wrong? I have not heard anyone talk about Scotland's performance in the Commonwealth Games - not worthy of a mention?? Me thinks they are doing much better than anticipated - well done.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

unicorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy
    Is something wrong? I have not heard anyone talk about Scotland's performance in the Commonwealth Games - not worthy of a mention?? Me thinks they are doing much better than anticipated - well done.
    Probably not many interested in events outside of fitba and, to be honest, the Commenwealth is rather the Vauxhall Conference of Games events. The competitors do not get the chance of the exposure prior to these games that might have made them more familiar to the viewers.

The Scottish team have performed above expectations so far and it is refreshing to hear names such as McClatchey being called as winners.

It is great to see Scotland doing so well. There was no great big build up to what they might do, so everybody is suprised at how well they've done it's great for Scotland, I even noticed some of the commentators wondering what the scottish swimmers had done, that maybe the English should think about doing, it's a simple case of we didn't build them up to fall on there face.

So far we have done very well in spite of the authorities and the continual lack of funding. There has never been at any time, any less talent in Scotland (per head of population) than other countries. The difference being, we have a government that does not give a hoot. Evan Oliphant, for many years learned his skills on the highland games circuit and was considered a professional so he did not get any funding, he is/was also an enthusiastic member of the local "Wheelers club" for many years. He went to University, got his degree and also kept up his cycling and at last he began to get some recognition and encouragement, he eventualy turned professional. He and all our Scottish athletes have done well in spite of the system, not because of it. I'm sure that if we had a sports centre of excellence as they have in Australia we would do even better. Unfortunately not even the local paper made much of Evan, there was more about him in the P&J.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life