Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "General" section of forum.

Default "General" section of forum.

Is it just me or is there nothing but complaints in this section?
    I have lived in Caithness for a long time but if I was an outsider looking to move to Caithness and having this website as an idea of what the local community is like then I would be quite worried about moving here.

There is rarely anything happy going on in this general section, it's all complaining and moaning!!
    I quite believe Caithness to be a friendly place but outsiders wouldn't think it by looking at this section!
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee
    from the Hunter threadBit disappointed there are, yet again, few positive comments on here about it. Give everyone a moan to share and the thread will run for pages, give them something to cheer about and it seems to be treated somewhat with a greater element of disinterest - I just can't grasp this in our local community - I really can't.

Look at the letters page of the Groat today and the upholding of the community portrayed in the majority of them - why can't this community grasp the goodness of what they have with both hands and really promote with the same vigour as they are prepared to employ in their feasting on the negative.
    Also in another thread about the Harbour Fest I wrote EXACTLY what you have stated here about the threads list on the .org being viewed by outsiders.

Unfortunately - you will not change the way Caithness looks, I'm convinced the folk like it to look that way - odd I know, but as I said, I just can't grasp the inward looking vision. Pointless and deserved of everything it gets. And that's not negative, that's factual - just read the thread material and titles!!!! It's true!

WBG

I look at the boards and see lots of good advice and support between members. Yes, there will be complaints and moans but that is natural in a society surely? It is better to vocalise worries and concerns that can be addressed and solved.
    You only have to look at people asking for help to see how quickly the community rallys round. There aren't many places like that in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by WickWitch View Post
    I look at the boards and see lots of good advice and support between members. Yes, there will be complaints and moans but that is natural in a society surely? It is better to vocalise worries and concerns that can be addressed and solved.
    You only have to look at people asking for help to see how quickly the community rallys round. There aren't many places like that in the UK
    It is natural to have complaints and moans, it just baffles me at how trivial around 90% of the compaints and moans are.

It's like people go out of their way to complain about the slightest little thing.
    Caithness is a friendly place, I know that, it just doesn't seem like it from this section of the fourm lol.

Most of our lives are concerned with trivia . It is the little things that can be the most trying.....sighs.....

Most of our lives are concerned with trivia
    Haha, I like how you speak for all the members of the forum lol.
    I guess I'm just saying I don't let trivial stuff get to me, I don't see the point.

I'm not talking for the members of the forum, I'm talking about life. Our daily lives are full of what I call trivia as opposed to world poverty, peace, finance etc.
    If you aren't bothered about trivial matters then why are you complaining about others complaining

why are you complaining
    I ain't making a complaint, I was making an observation and asking if other members thought the same thing

I agree Logan, most of the time it turns into a debate/argument. Even over the most tedious things like someones opinion.

It's not the most appetising thing to see within a community, but these keyboard warriors cannot be stopped. As you said, Caithness is nice although it may not always seem like it.

Surely debates are a good thing? Sometimes grousing about the little annoying things in life helps us to cope with the bigger things. It's when it degenerates into personal attacks that it becomes unpleasant. Bashing the keyboards is better than bashing a person

i like to look at all the good things and posidive things on the org' and to live and let live. caithness is a great county the best. ive been in many others but could not wait to get back to caithness

Complaining about the complainers -- is there a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    Is it just me or is there nothing but complaints in this section?
    I have lived in Caithness for a long time but if I was an outsider looking to move to Caithness and having this website as an idea of what the local community is like then I would be quite worried about moving here.

There is rarely anything happy going on in this general section, it's all complaining and moaning!!
    I quite believe Caithness to be a friendly place but outsiders wouldn't think it by looking at this section!
    Could be that's why they are all complaining to stop anyone who's thinking of moving here from moving......there's method in their madness!

As for trivia who needs it.........there's plenty misery going on in the world without mumping and moaning about every little thing .....rise above it, it really doesn't matter as much as you think it does! Some love to moan and gurn, they thrive on the negativity as do others, get of your bums and do something positive, when you keep yourself busy the trivial little things dissappear as if by magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    Complaining about the complainers -- is there a difference?
    Loganbiffy wasn't complaining; he/she was expressing concern about the impression these hallowed threads can give people living outwith the county.

Given that frequently, threads are gripes about - jet skis, neighbours, stupid folks, Reiss beach, piggin (sic) shooters, - his/her concern is justifiable and understandable.

All in all I think the forum is quite balanced with positive and negative comments etc.
    However, I believe that we are more drawn to and remember the most, the threads that end up in a slanging match or the ones that appear to be a moaning thread (I've done them too).

Alot of the time threads that were started in a neutral tone often result in arguments simply because people have differing opinions and trying to put those opinions across on a forum is alot harder than in person.

No matter what, this forum is a fantastic opportunity to put all thoughts, opinions and beliefs across and discuss them with people that do and/or don't agree with them.
    Caithness is extremely lucky to have this facility, I think there are many people on here who perhaps don't realise exactly just how lucky.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Have a rant,have a rave, its good for the soul.
    Its life as we know it Jim!
    Better out than in i always say,or maybe ats a different quote? same meaning though

The threads and posts have changed in the general forum a lot since I became a member and not for the better
    a lot of the people I loved posting have gone
    Angela, Percy, Torvaig , Trinkie , Helen Whyler Trix even Moira and Highlander not posting so much the list is endless please forgive me if I missed you out not intentional why do you you think that is ? but they are a loss
    Its nice to be nice

Default Moans

I have found most people lovely here in Caithness, but I have to agree that moans for simple things. I posted a serious thing on dogs in hot weather in cars, and I was pulled to bits, because I put it in the wrong section.
    So I wont pass any advice or answer anymore "What so you think"

Not a moan a fact.
    "If there is room in your heart, there is room in your home" Rescue Anon

For the most part the forum is a friendly place where various posters enjoy throwing a few barbs at others. There have been times when a poster may get personal with insults directed at an individual. When it gets too bad the guilty poster gets a warning from the moderator. Sometimes that poster's handle disappears and comes back with another name.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne x View Post
    The threads and posts have changed in the general forum a lot since I became a member and not for the better
    a lot of the people I loved posting have gone
    Angela, Percy, Torvaig , Trinkie , Helen Whyler Trix even Moira and Highlander not posting so much the list is endless please forgive me if I missed you out not intentional why do you you think that is ? but they are a loss
    Percy got banned so that's why we won't hear anymore from him. Trix probably has better things to do since she got engaged recently, I miss her too-she's batty but in a nice way. Torvaig is very nice, I also miss her. No idea why the others have stopped or don't post so much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast