Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: kennel cough vacine ?!

Default kennel cough vacine ?!

hiya guys.. just wondering here.. bubs had her jags and 1st ever KC vacine last thursday. noticed yesterday and today a bit of a hacking choking cough every now and again.. almost like she is gagging.
    shes a bit off, and not as bouncy as normal.
    was wondering if anyone else has ever seen these side effect from the vacine.
    will be calling the vet in the morning.
    have looked it up on the net and others have reported these side effects...
    i wasnt told anything about side effect to the vacine, and until i looked it up just now didnt know there was any!
    our kennel asked us to get her vacinated as a precaution, as we are off on holiday soon. and thought nothing of it.... but now im getting concerned!
    http://itqueries.com/

Hmmmm...they will not tell u the side effects as u just might not do it and they lose out on payment.Have never given my latest group of dogs kc...it is a waste of money and has the effects u mention.

Iwould let the vet know asap though and would not let her have it again,as a precaution.Have a friend with 5 cockers,religiously vacc.[no probs.there] then has kc vacc given...........they have developed full blown kennel cough every time.She continues to do it..........i gave up.
    They all recovered each time..vet gave them benylin couhg mix.2 nneded antibiotics each time too.
    Really hope bubbles will be ok.

I see that Bubbles had booster and KC on same day. There is live KC virus in your normal booster and if you then have KC spray at same time it can induce KC. Of course Bubbles will now be contageous for about 10 days and shouldn't be contact with any other dog.

I tell all my clients that they should make sure that there is a gap between booster and going for nasal spray, but I notice that certain Vets continue to carry out this bad practise.

quote=brandy;570698]hiya guys.. just wondering here.. bubs had her jags and 1st ever KC vacine last thursday. noticed yesterday and today a bit of a hacking choking cough every now and again.. almost like she is gagging.
    shes a bit off, and not as bouncy as normal.
    was wondering if anyone else has ever seen these side effect from the vacine.
    will be calling the vet in the morning.
    have looked it up on the net and others have reported these side effects...
    i wasnt told anything about side effect to the vacine, and until i looked it up just now didnt know there was any!
    our kennel asked us to get her vacinated as a precaution, as we are off on holiday soon. and thought nothing of it.... but now im getting concerned![/quote]

i did ask about that on the day, but was informed that it is ok to do it now.. that they didnt use to but can now. talked to the vets this morning.. as was told that either she as incubating kennel cough when she got her jag, or is showing signs of it due to the jag. as the sign are very mild was advised to just keep an eye on her and call back if any concerns.
    did ask the vet if i should keep her isolated, and after asking they said yes, to keep her away from sniffing other dogs for a few days. not impressed poor girl. she seems right enough in herself today, but she will not be happy not getting her walks!
    http://itqueries.com/

Sorry to hear Bubbles is not feeling well but I've been there and done that as well. To be honest, in a healthy dog, it's nothing much more than a cold like we get but it can be hard to listen to your dog retching and coughing and being sick through it all. Two of my bitches have had it and the best things for them was to just keep them in for a few days with rest and lots of attention. Some mild cough syrup will help or try some honey and warm water to soothe the throat.

I don't get them vaccinated against KC anymore and have had no more instances which is quite surprising as having more dogs, have increased the chances of my lot picking it up. The homeopathic KC nosodes do help if there is an outbreak but I've not had to use them in ages.
    "I ask forgiveness continuously for I know he knows, somethings just have to be experienced"