Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: shops in thurso

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Royster1911
    where elizabeths is now used to be a garage / petrol station. Big Ian Gun used to work there. I remember the milk machine at the toll. Strawberry was my fav. Toilets at riverside used to be engeneering shed. Used to get our sled runners from them. Dunnets showroom was fish smoke shed. (mackenzies i think). Hydro shop was farm services store (food etc) Bews Butchers WAS bews Butchers (now Mackays) The railway station had a shop.
    There used to be another of these Milk machines on the side of Johnston's shop.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_fuzzy_kitty
    Good Vibrations in the Precinct used to be a kids clothes shop, cant remember what it was called tho
    Before that it was Williamson's Shoe Shop ~ a lovely old man he was.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy
    Pentland Sports Emporium next to the Comm (was a 2nd hand book shop last time I was in Thurso)

Right who can tell me where the County Stores were? And what the Pet shop used to be.......actually also where the Pet shop used to be.

Anyone remember Mac Mowats bike shop?
    Mac Mowat's - that's going back around 40 years? It was the upper part of Hornes (now the new electrical shop Alacam?)

County Stores and Pentland Sports Emporium (is "Emporium" still in the dictionary?) were like Alladin's cave to a young lad.

I seem to remember it was sunny in the summer back then!
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

If I mind right was the Mainbrace not the public bar of the Pentland????? Used to be a lassie from Buckie area used to work there I think
    But where was the rod and line??????? "I was a Marine sort of person u know" (Good beer and good yarns)

Rod & Line was where John Barry's dental surgery is. (Bridgend)

What was there years ago? There was a low window onto the pavement that had small model fishing boats or something?
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Royster1911
    County stores. Princess Street. Pet shop. Olrig Street. Pet shop now used to be many things, Cafe, hardware rental (sj&d robertson) frozen foods. Do I get any points for my answers????
    Before the Frozen Food shop, Jim Ferrier had a grocers there. He then moved (as a Newsagents) to where the Pentland Hotel has their lounge bar and later moved across the road to where Blacks was.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    College used to be a paper shop. Where the yard is used to be a sports shop. CAB used to be the music shop with Jack Shearers DIY downstairs. Aand D's used to be youngs toy shop.
    thats before my time connie i remmeber the college being a arcade and the cab being freezer shop then mother care do you remmeber the paper shop were the council office is ?

Quote Originally Posted by mareng
    Rod & Line was where John Barry's dental surgery is. (Bridgend)

What was there years ago? There was a low window onto the pavement that had small model fishing boats or something?
    The Working Mens Club was in there.

Thanks Mareng Id completely forgotten about that one

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    The Working Mens Club was in there.
    Did that go back to the mid-sixties though? Was it something to do with the Tourist Board back then? I can still see these small boats and net curtains??

Not sure when it became the Working mens Club - late sixties early seventies.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy
    Henderson the Opticians was Gordon the Butchers (wasn't it Pepsi)
    Before the butchers it was "The Hole in the Wall" Boutique, and the Boutique where the Newmarket is was called "Tiffany's".

does anyone else remember buying single fags from Danny Craigs in the arcade.
    I used to get gurned at on a regular basis for being a cheeky *"@*"

i remember paul the barbers across from the sinclair hotel ( where we used to buy our johnnies) takes me back to my teenage years fags & johnnies

ahh bews when the chickens roasted outside was great,
    billy the butchers in dunnet road with omands shop round corner,
    CLB being the brickworks,
    banks clothes shop in the square,
    the tasty bite, the my the gas place, now chinese.
    ABC video where sandras is
    danny craigs best ice cream in caithness even is he was always grumpy towards us
    durrans when it was in the precinct
    ships wheel where the bistro is

unicorn Guest

I loved the chips and tomato sauce in the tasty bite yummmmmmm

I remember playing football in Thurso for Eastend, 25 years ago & going to a sweetie shop ,I think it was Brass? opposite woolies and there was a chippy next door, there was also a chippy on the road at the back of the police station, was it any good?

unicorn Guest

Was that not budges that had the chippy and cafe? and the shop was bottom cardosi's.

ah, the shop in mount vernon where goldie used to greet you. poor dog got knocked down one day. broke my heart. used to get broken into regular. caught one by following the trail of fags to house

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald
    If I mind right was the Mainbrace not the public bar of the Pentland????? Used to be a lassie from Buckie area used to work there I think
    But where was the rod and line??????? "I was a Marine sort of person u know" (Good beer and good yarns)
    Yup, the Mainbrace was the Pentland's public bar. The entrance was in a side street if I remember rightly. The Marine was the stuff of legend. Nah, not really, but it was kinda special though.

I don't remember the Rod and Line either.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast