Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Autism

Smile Kids can be cruel..... but then again.....

Yes i know they can and it is upsetting for all concerned when it happens.... but they can also be fantastic.
    Autism outreach input by a teacher,into my sons mainstream school created a "Circle of Friends" for him: volunteers from his classmates who were helped to understand his autism and his individual needs and helped him cope in times of stress.
    They were fantastic and he has never been so happy or felt so at ease in the company of his peers when life got tough!
    Some kids can be cruel.. but I reckon most of them have the potential to become generous and useful members of the human race if encouraged to!
    The best things in life aren't things

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    TLC - Tender Loving Care can go a long way in raising any child whether autistic or not.
    Too true oldmarine
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by cjb View Post
    Yes i know they can and it is upsetting for all concerned when it happens.... but they can also be fantastic.
    Autism outreach input by a teacher,into my sons mainstream school created a "Circle of Friends" for him: volunteers from his classmates who were helped to understand his autism and his individual needs and helped him cope in times of stress.
    They were fantastic and he has never been so happy or felt so at ease in the company of his peers when life got tough!
    Some kids can be cruel.. but I reckon most of them have the potential to become generous and useful members of the human race if encouraged to!
    aww thats brilliant.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

My sons school introduced the circle of friends for him and I was truely fantastic although he's not autistic but has ADHD it helped him so much
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Default kids

Yes i have been lucky enough to see how many fantastic kids there is out there who have given my son a great start at his main stream nursery and thanks to them and the brillant staff my son loves it The good thing is my son is very young and so are these children and they dont treat him any different to the other kids so maybe with them being so young and seeing my son with autism will help them be more understanding in later life
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post

Yes i have been lucky enough to see how many fantastic kids there is out there who have given my son a great start at his main stream nursery and thanks to them and the brillant staff my son loves it The good thing is my son is very young and so are these children and they dont treat him any different to the other kids so maybe with them being so young and seeing my son with autism will help them be more understanding in later life
    I'm really not wanting to put a dampner on what you are saying but I would never underestimate children. Once my son was diagnosed early on we thought the exact same as you but unfortunatly it dosnt work like that. I do have my reasons for saying this as I have experinced it first hand. Younger kids are fine but mainstream ones are a whole lot worse all I'm saying is be aware of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by telfordstar View Post
    I'm really not wanting to put a dampner on what you are saying but I would never underestimate children. Once my son was diagnosed early on we thought the exact same as you but unfortunatly it dosnt work like that. I do have my reasons for saying this as I have experinced it first hand. Younger kids are fine but mainstream ones are a whole lot worse all I'm saying is be aware of everything.
    I agree with you and too have had the unfortunate experience of High School "inclusion"

Primary School was fine the Head teacher stood on anykind of bullying that happened.First year of High School and lets just say the police were called and my daughter was cautioned.
    Autistic kids just dont have a "stop" button.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    I agree with you and too have had the unfortunate experience of High School "inclusion"

Primary School was fine the Head teacher stood on anykind of bullying that happened.First year of High School and lets just say the police were called and my daughter was cautioned.

I must amit i am dreading when he goes to the high school up here as i know how easily led he is and at the moment he has been hegging used as the skape goat when something gone wrong. But be rest assured i will be making my stand. Thats what got me sorted with the school hes in at yhe moment and im glad i did it.

Thats terrible that your daughter was cautioned!!!!!!! you think the police would have been more understanding im shocked !!!
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    Thats terrible that your daughter was cautioned!!!!!!! you think the police would have been more understanding im shocked !!!

I insisted the learning disability nurse was present during interview and it was carried out in our own home.
    The police insisted it was dealt with accordingly and passed onto the childrens panel.
    Talk about brick wall.

One good thing came of it though,nobody pushes her around now.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I insisted the learning disability nurse was present during interview and it was carried out in our own home.
    The police insisted it was dealt with accordingly and passed onto the childrens panel.
    Talk about brick wall.

One good thing came of it though,nobody pushes her around now.
    Terrible you think in this day and age things would be different!!! at least your daughter doesnt get anymore hassle, My son has a tendancy to hit out at people if they get on his nerves something we are trying to work on but sometimes i think to myself what if he hits another kid if there in his face which he cant stand or they hit him my son is only 3 but very strong i pity the person who tries anything on him when he,s older like you say autistic kids dont have stop button !! Something we all have in common WORRY
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    just out of curiosity.. is there any other orgers out there with autistic children?
    been thinking about it a lot today..
    started watching videos on youtube and ended up just having a good cry.
    as some of you may know. ben was diagnosed with autism at the begining of June.
    and at the time it was such a relief just to know.
    you know kinda like. finally, now i know why all this has been happening!
    why he does the things he does...
    i was really upbeat and happier , thinking now we know which way the wind blows.. we cant work with this... we can get things started on his help.
    but today im just down, thinking about everything...
    Hi brandy, we've already met, you'll maybe remember me from the horses at watten, when you had porcha? Anyway, you finally got a diagnosis, i know how you feel about being kinda relieved about getting a diagnosis it's like you finally know whats wrong, but at the same time you dont want your child to be different, i struggled as a single parent with my son, from the age of 2yrs my health visitor at the time realised there was something not right, he finally got diagnosed at the age of 7, after a lot of pushing from my side. My son is 11 now and has been getting good support from his school and is improving, it's really difficult sometimes and very frustrating trying to get through to him, but the positives out way the negatives. I still have down days where i sit down and cry but then i'll give myself a shake and thank god that i have a healthy happy child, he could have been much worse. My son finds it hard to make and keep friends and it breaks my heart sometimes as he doesn't understand why his peers don't like him, he tends to instigate situations but doesn't realise it, therefore he feels he's always the victim. What i find most difficult is he looks like a normal boy( whatever normal is!) nobody can see his disability, although only 11 he looks about 14 and people expect him to act accordingly. I also hate when people who haven't spent much time in his company make judgements, and say things like "he's just a typical boy", "he'll grow out of it", "he shouldn't be behaving like that at his age", "he needs a good smack " "i don't think there's any thing wrong with him" or "you should be doing this or that, you're to soft with him" it drives me nuts. At the end of the day you do what you feel is right for your son, every autistic child is unique and special, with help and support you will cope Brandy, just concentrate on the positives and i'm sure Ben has lots. Take care.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234