Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help please identifying these moths.

Default Help please identifying these moths.

I've been through the insect book and can't make my mind up!

Small grass emerald?

Common white wave?

Heart and dart?

You've really started some thing here pterodroma!

Hi Lizz

Some of these look like southern species with which I am not familar, but someone else may be able to help.

The third one in the first set looks like a worn Clouded-bordered Brindle which is common up here at the moment and quite variable. I agree Common White Wave and Heart and Dart.

A good book on moths is: Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Waring and Townsend. Not cheap but you may be able to get it from a library to give it a run before deciding whether or not to buy.

Thank you will have to have a look for that book as the moth spotting is going apace here!

Think the first 1 could be either a Scallop Shell or a Mottled Beauty , unfortunately that was the best picture I got.

Am completely stumped on the lovely cream and brown with the patterned wings, have even tried checking migrants but drawn a complete blank.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/ is a great site for identifying moths and butterflies. I hope that it helps

Thank you WickWitch, have just sent them a message to find out if I can send them a picture in the hope that they can identify it.

Default Thanks all for your help.

The second moth has been identified as a Pyralid or Phlyctaenia coronata.
    It lives on or around elder.