Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Spot GPS locator beacon

Default Spot GPS locator beacon

For any body who loves the great outdoor should invest in the new Spot GPS locator beacon, this little orange GPS locator beacon may save many lives in the outdoor by saving many rescue hours and getting people to hospital fast instead of a need of a extensive ground search for a injured outdoor enthusiast what could lose variable hours with saving someones life. This Spot GPS locator when you press the rescue button it send a signal to a centre in Texas showing your exact location then they pass the information on to the police responsible for the area of your location, then the police call out search and rescue either helicopter or ground team with the exact GPS coordinate of your location and then you are swiftly rescued and taken to hospital. I have just purchase one, a we bit expensive for cost of the Spot GPS locator £120 then subcripstion fee £80 but worth it in the long run. I would only use the Spot GPS locator for extreme life threatening outdoor emergency were immediate extraction to a hospital is paramount.
    http://www.findmespot.eu/en/
    Last edited by NapalmDeath74; 27-Jun-09 at 22:36. Reason: adding link

Default Gps

Quote Originally Posted by NapalmDeath74 View Post
    For any body who loves the great outdoor should invest in the new Spot GPS locator beacon, this little orange GPS locator beacon may save many lives in the outdoor by saving many rescue hours and getting people to hospital fast instead of a need of a extensive ground search for a injured outdoor enthusiast what could lose variable hours with saving someones life. This Spot GPS locator when you press the rescue button it send a signal to a centre in Texas showing your exact location then they pass the information on to the police responsible for the area of your location, then the police call out search and rescue either helicopter or ground team with the exact GPS coordinate of your location and then you are swiftly rescued and taken to hospital. I have just purchase one, a we bit expensive for cost of the Spot GPS locator £120 then subcripstion fee £80 but worth it in the long run. I would only use the Spot GPS locator for extreme life threatening outdoor emergency were immediate extraction to a hospital is paramount.
    http://www.findmespot.eu/en/
    Do they work underground, (when you sink in a bog)
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Default Spot GPS locator beacon

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wilkins View Post
    Do they work underground, (when you sink in a bog)
    The Spot GPS Locator beacon is waterproof but would it work underground that is a good question, I think you need to buy the Spot GPS locator beacon, pay the subscription fee and then do some field testing by leaping into a bog.

Only joking by the way.
    Last edited by NapalmDeath74; 28-Jun-09 at 15:49. Reason: Error

I trialed one for work and wasnt all that impressed with the results 2 of us had it for a week and for part of that time it didnt work and when it did it was only on approx 50 % locations . one thing that concerend us was that even though you pressed the button you had no idea that it had been recieved or was being responded to . Other than that it was a neat little unit and would be very helpfull in case of an Emergency situation.

Yes they work if you sink in a bog......providing you leave it out of the bog!
    Seriously they do need to be in sight of the sky however we found they worked under 8-10 inches of snow, and generally work on the dash of a car and in the cockpit of an aircraft.

These units are pretty good and seem to have a good reliability rate, they do however come with limitations and these are well explained in the instructions.

My company is a dealer of these units and we have had these on trial for many months.
    Our findings are 100% success rate on help & OK messages and in excess of 80% in tracking mode.
    We have these also on trial with the UK military and the too are happy with their performance.

If anyone wants more info PM me.

.....and yes we'll do a .Org rate! if anyone wants them.

P.S.
    They'd be handy for the fishermen and mariners out there too, we are interested in having one trialled out in the marine world, again contact me if your interested.

cheers