Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness Moths - Purple Bar

Default Caithness Moths - Purple Bar

On first site the bar across the wings of this moth appears black but closer examination reveals an intricate pattern of silky purples and black. It occurs in a wide range of habitats including sand dunes where it can sometimes be disturbed during the day. On the wing in Caithness now and into July.

is this about half the size of the golden y that we found the other day, i went out last night about 1130 round the garden and was amazed at the moths that were out, again never really looked for them, but am sure i found one of these, tried photographing it but it didn't really come out that well

Hi Lynne

There is a close relative to Purple Bar called Silver-ground Carpet which is very common at the momment and flying in large numbers at dusk around the time you were out in the garden. I counted over 100 in my garden the other night. It is quite variable but I have one in the trap from last night so later on I will photograph it and put it up on the forum for you to see and compare with Purple Bar.