Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Wick Maternity Unit?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    What a shame there aren't more midwives trained to deliver at home - so much simpler and no travelling involved. Anyone would think giving birth was an illness the way hospitals carry on these days. How many births really require hospital admission I wonder?
    The number of home births would still be small, out of the eight in my antenatal class last year, four were referred to Inverness for varing health reasons, I has a c-section due to my little boy being in breech and another 2 had to be induced, with one resulting in a section. Only 1 out of 8 managed a natural pool birth that the majority of us had planned. I have mum friends from baby massage and the same pattern was repeated in their groups to.

It is however shameful that any mum-to-be should have to travel 2hrs (worse if you live out west) to deliver their baby in this day in age, after all where not a third world country (although sometimes i do wonder). Its not due to a lack of trained midwives, by mother see's 100's of trained midwives graduate each year, most emmigrate to Australia as there's not the jobs for them here.

In the end if nothing is done to change the situation, it will just make people question living up north in the first place. I was lucky to have my baby last year in Wick, and enjoyed the peacefullness amd lack of chaos on the ward. I had several friends who got sick of being in Inverness and transferred to Wick asap, so not everyone enjoys the raigmore experience. If an action group does arise, I will be one of the first to join and will certainly be writting the our local MP-otherwise we may move south again in the near future, as I feel this is just one of a number of noted 'cuts' in the area, along with shops closing, parks being dismantled and beaches not being cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsastu View Post
    The mums to be being sent to Inverness are those who need to be induced!! They are still delivering natural births and C-sections its madness sending all these women to Inverness. I myself just had a baby 7 weeks ago and I was due to be sent to Inverness to be induced...I went into early labour but because I was overdue and already booked into Inverness for the following day, they expected my partner to drive me to Inverness IN LABOUR, thankfully I stood my ground and said I was not going as my baby was is extreme distress and if I had not gone into Wick I would never have known this and my baby probably would not have survived, I had to have an emergency section!

In my stay of 3 nights I met at least 10 different midwives and lots of other staff so there were no shortages! It doesnt make sense that they can still arrange sections here but cannot induce its crazy!

Its ok for those who are not due babys to say going to Inverness is the best thing but its a lot of stress to go through and you are away from all your family at the time you need them most! I for one will be looking to help the Maternity Unit as I would have hated to go to Inverness!
    i am 1 of many a mum to be got few months yet tho but still im panikin at the thought of not knowin where all b put its very scarey especially when this is my first i hope it gets sorted as u say its a time when u need ur family am not wantin to b down in inverness on my own with my partner and my family not being able to pop in

Have to say this is putting me off getting pregnant! Though caithness general was supposed to be getting back to "normal" and that being sent to raigmore was personal choice going by the piece a read in the paper a few months ago.
    would appear that was all a load of tosh then!!
    I dont relish a 2 hour journey while in labour and sure as heck wouldnt want to be induced just for the convienience of there being a bed free !
    Would think the paramedics are a dab hand at emergency deliveries by now then!
    Last edited by Rie; 13-Jul-09 at 11:38. Reason: spelling mistake

Caithness maternity wing is NOT closing, and i know this for a fact, from one of the people in charge of the hospital, so please stop worrying.
    Last edited by Fran; 14-Jul-09 at 00:58.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Caithness maternity wing is NOT closing, and i know this for a fact, from one of the people in charge of the hospital, so please stop worrying.
    And u have this in writing,Fran....if so please post same here.

Quote Originally Posted by BINBOB View Post
    And u have this in writing,Fran....if so please post same here.
    Even if Fran did post it here I dont think it would stop the rumours.

Is Frans word not good enough that she has to produce evidence.

Frans word is good enough but people just want to see things like that in writing.~:

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I think you have left yourself wide open here Fran. People are bound to question why you should be privy to this information and yet the public are not. Anyone can make a statement but in this day and age unless it is in black and white from the powers that be, who can honestly believe it. Sometimes those who think they are "in the know" are usually the last to know. In my opinion they will say anything to keep the masses quiet and at bay.

If CGH was in Inverness it would be a different kettle of fish.
    When CDC became HRC thats when the proverbial hit the fan.
    Decisions that effect CGH are taken by a pen pusher in Inverness who probably hasnt been north of the Ord in their life.
    Our elected officials should be speaking out and reflecting the views of those that elected them.
    They are quick enough to claim expenses but a wee bit slow to do their jobs.
    It wouldnt surprise me if they closed the maternity wing as we are not as important as our Southern brethren.
    I hope they dont as Lives would be at risk,but who are we to argue?
    Inverness isnt interested in the logistics and safety they are interested in balance sheets not Cotton Sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKER View Post
    Frans word is good enough but people just want to see things like that in writing.~:

Thank u.

You can have some things written in triplicate and if things / events change so does what is written no statement is watertight.

Fran could have it written a million times over, it will not settle the nerves of some, rightly or wrongly. Many of us know what position Fran holds hence why no-one could get PMs into her in-box when this story first came to light.

She has been told this news and has passed it on we either take it or leave it asking for proof wont make a difference, this is not a court of law.

If anyone wants it in written proof contact the hospital and ask for it Im sure they will be happy to answer any queries. Whether you then believe the answer or not is up to you.

Yes, i have it in writing and will post tomorrow evening when i get back from inverness.But, I thought you saw it in writing in the local newspaper when the head of the hospital quoted that it is not closing.

Quote " Following an article in the Courier it was queried whether the 9 bedded maternity unit was in danger of being closed. Confirmed that this is not the case. The ward has revised its risk criteria for the delivery of babies to low risk due to unsafe staffing levels due to staff sickness. Only 6/7 mothers extra per month are being transferred to Raigmore, The risk criteria was reviewed at a meeting on 16 june."
    end of quote

Sorry...but that does not seem like any kind of promise of the unit staying open.

Quote Originally Posted by BINBOB View Post
    Sorry...but that does not seem like any kind of promise of the unit staying open.
    BINBOB your right and with all NHS highland hospitals its being assessed as we speak for efficiency savings.

Realistically they cannot expect all mothers to travel to Inverness to have their babies.
    We've been reduced to two beds on Skye so everone else has to make the two and a half hour journey to Raigmore.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

with 6/7 mothers per month being asked (told)to travel to inverness to be delivered, over the course of a year that in my sums makes 72 to 84 mums! would make quite a dent on the numbers aspects!!

but fran it will be interesting at the next patients council (am i right that is the board which the cgh meet with) and we will wait with baited breath to see that the board will have been able to implement the changes to ensure that inductions can be restarted at cgh and that no more mothers need to travel to inverness.

and if you say so then i am glad that at the moment they have "no plans" to close the unit.

but i would love to know why they still can't do inductions here what has arisen to bring this about?

I would like to direct u all to an article in today...PRESS and JOURNAL...re.

Maternity beds to be reviewed at RAIGMORE.
    Very interesting and just as u said ,cuddlepop.

Perhaps some of you mothers should become a member of the Patients Council. Its only a couple of hours every second month, well worth it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456