Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cat Query?

Default Cat Query?

My cat has very long claws on his back paws. His front paws are fine, it's only the back.
    They don't seem to trouble him, he's active and healthy though beginning to slow down with age.
    Does anyone know if I should clip them? Or take him to the vet to clip them?
    You get what you give

unicorn Guest

Provided that you stay a good bit away from the quick and get some help it should be fine to clip them yourself.

I would take him to the vets cause i think if you clip them to far back they bleed but dont quote me on that i know it happens to dogs but not sure about cat s .

unicorn Guest

yeah thats the quick, it's the pink area you can see under the nail, if your cat has dark nails then shining a light from behind will make the quick easy to see, I always cut a fair bit away from it when I do rabbits nail and dogs nails...never done a cat though???

Yeh if you cut them too far back they will bleed and you won't have a happy cat. I took ma mutt to the vet cos his claws were gettin a tad long and I asked them to show me how to do it, to be on the safe side, and they were very obliging. Best, I believe, to use a pair of clippers designed for the claws too.
    it's a sair fecht

unicorn Guest

Definately use good proper clippers, you can buy these from vet or petshop about £4. I prefer the type that look like scissors with a notch cut out, I find the guilotine ones squash the nail and leave it ragged.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn
    Definately use good proper clippers, you can buy these from vet or petshop about £4. I prefer the type that look like scissors with a notch cut out, I find the guilotine ones squash the nail and leave it ragged.
    Unicorn is it safe to clip my rabbits claws or will i have to take him to the vet ?

unicorn Guest

where are you? I would be happy to show you how to do it, but it is simple as long as you have a good hold of bunny, I normally get hubby to hold bun on its back so it's laying along the length of his arm normally with eyes covered with elbow to keep it calm and I just trim them, if you are not sure how much to take off just do a little at a time. If bunny has white or horn coloured nails it's easy to see the quick if dark try shining a torch behind them. Don't cut right up to quick though keep a bit away from it.

krieve Guest

I tried to cut my doggie nails she was not amused so i took her to the vet and she would not let him near them. The vet said that walk her on hard ground and they should not need to come back to get them clipped. Also he said to me you will probably notice her biting them herself that is her cutting them herself lol

Default cat claws

Hi
    I trim all of my cats claws when they need done and my dogs, its quite easy to do just take off the end of claw with nail clippers

Saveman, having met your cat I would either invest in some sort of protective suit before proceeding, or take him to the vet!

Unless of course your cape will do the trick.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Geo, my cat says he has no idea who you are and that he doesn't owe you any money.
    So now I know you've met him.

krieve Guest

So are you going to attempt to cut them yourself Saveman or are you going to take him to the vet?

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

I wouldnt dream of trying to cut my cats claws i value my life far to much !!!

It was bad enough trying to "feed" him pills from the vet I almost needed a suit of armour for that one
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

Quote Originally Posted by krieve
    So are you going to attempt to cut them yourself Saveman or are you going to take him to the vet?
    I may attempt it myself. Though, even if I cut them safetly back to almost the quick they will still stick out of his paws! They are that long!

krieve Guest

[quote Saveman]
    I may attempt it myself. Though, even if I cut them safetly back to almost the quick they will still stick out of his paws! They are that long!

All the better for scratching you with Saveman, best of luck it's not something i would want to do. lol