Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Acharole??? Hendersons

Default Acharole??? Hendersons

As things geographical seem to be the favoured subject at the moment I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for ACHAROLE - I think where my grandfather James Sutherland Henderson, son of Donald Henderson and Mary Sutherland-was born in October 1900. I've visited several Caithness graveyards and found some anchestors buried all over the county but have never yet managed to find the place he was born and I would very much like to be able to visit it and as I might get to Caithness this summer the info would be very useful. Any descendants of his siblings still in the area take note.
    Many thanks

Linda

Hello Linda!

As near as I can recall this area is out by Watten, to the west of the fair town of Wick. Good hunting on your relatives, mine are from a clump of Hendersons further south near Dunbeath.

I strongly encourage you to visit Caithness if you can, it's a wonderful place.

Bruce Henderson
    San Diego, CA

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am hoping to visit Caithness this summer but as I lived in Wick for 3 years al long time ago (nearly 50) it's not entirely a mystery. I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks visiting California!! Caithness weather doesn't quite compare.

Linda

Acharole is clearly marked on the OS map of Caithness just south of the eastern end of the Loch Watten. Burn of Acharole runs into Strath Burn just outside Watten. A reference point for Google Earth is about 58.20 North and 3.20 West.

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by lindadorren View Post
    As things geographical seem to be the favoured subject at the moment I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for ACHAROLE - I think where my grandfather James Sutherland Henderson, son of Donald Henderson and Mary Sutherland-was born in October 1900. I've visited several Caithness graveyards and found some anchestors buried all over the county but have never yet managed to find the place he was born and I would very much like to be able to visit it and as I might get to Caithness this summer the info would be very useful. Any descendants of his siblings still in the area take note.
    Many thanks

Linda