Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Would you support the idea of local artists going into schools to teach?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, so long as they do it for free.

13 43.33%
  • Yes, I am willing for Highland council to pay the going rate.

15 50.00%
  • No.

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Musicians/artists acting as Educational mentors?

Default Local Musicians/artists acting as Educational mentors?

I've just had a thought, would you be in favor of local musicians and artists putting in time to encourage/mentor kids?

Would you be in favor of the local education authority to pay this?
    Last edited by Rheghead; 19-Jun-09 at 00:08.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I think it would be a brilliant idea and would bring a relaxed element to learning about the 'arts'. I think the youngsters would respond to having local musicians and artists who would be seen as their mentors.

My partner, Shona Mooney, is a BBC Award-winning musician and she does exactly this in the Borders region. Her efforts have paid off very well from what I've seen.

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

I've voted but I'm waiting for more comments before I wade in on this one Rheggers!

WBG

Yes 100%
    I think it is a really good idea.

I think it is a good idea butttt there is saftey issues they would all have to get clearance etc.

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Quote Originally Posted by Lingland View Post
    I think it is a good idea butttt there is saftey issues they would all have to get clearance etc.
    Most of the musicians (not sure about the artists) that I know in this county who are perfectly capable of teaching the kids in the schools are teaching outwith, running festivals, workshops, supporting them in musical activities in other areas and probably have full Enhanced Disclosures, including myself. So going for another one to teach in the schools wouldn't to my mind be any problem.

WBG

What do you mean by the "going rate"?
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

I'd be more interested in local tradespersons putting in time to encourage/mentor kids? These are the jobs that pay the bills.

Is that not what the Work Experience programme is for?

I feel the expressive arts are sorely lacking in schools these days if our one is anything to go by!

Mind you I think TBH has a point cos apprenticeships are not what they used to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Is that not what the Work Experience programme is for?
    The work experience scheme is a waste of time and money, please do not confuse it with actually having time with a tradesperson "learning the trade" and not just a good excuse to get off school for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    I'd be more interested in local tradespersons putting in time to encourage/mentor kids? These are the jobs that pay the bills..
    Would that include a former chairman of the Thurso traders association who was on the one hand writing to the Groat and calling on locals to buy local but was eventually exposed as someone who was buying his car and kitchen from Inversnecky rather than support local trade?

If you feel passionately for something pay would be the last thing on your mind! surely. If not then what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Would that include a former chairman of the Thurso traders association who was on the one hand writing to the Groat and calling on locals to buy local but was eventually exposed as someone who was buying his car and kitchen from Inversnecky rather than support local trade?
    I really don't know what relevance this has to your thread.
    Ideally we would all buy locally but financial restraints force people to look for the best deal possible.
    Taking the thread back on course there is a huge knowledge base to be gleaned from plumbers, electicians, brick layers, etc and passed onto the youth of every Town, Village, City.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    If you feel passionately for something pay would be the last thing on your mind! surely. If not then what's the point?
    Yes sweetpea I thoroughly agree

The work experience scheme is a waste of time and money, please do not confuse it with actually having time with a tradesperson "learning the trade" and not just a good excuse to get off school for a day.
    I'm not having that. It's not all about 'learning a trade' and it's not about replacing apprenticeships.

In my place of work, we recently had a young chap come in for a fortnight's Work Experience. He was set a certain set of tasks, and performed them very well.

As a result of this, he's been invited back to our workplace during the summer holidays, as a paid staff member. He has a knack for the type of work required, and is happy with and able to cope with the demands required of him.

Surely this is exactly what Work Experience is meant to achieve?
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I really don't know what relevance this has to your thread.
    I don't think your initial post has any relevence to the thread either.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    I'm not having that. It's not all about 'learning a trade' and it's not about replacing apprenticeships.

In my place of work, we recently had a young chap come in for a fortnight's Work Experience. He was set a certain set of tasks, and performed them very well.

As a result of this, he's been invited back to our workplace during the summer holidays, as a paid staff member. He has a knack for the type of work required, and is happy with and able to cope with the demands required of him.

Surely this is exactly what Work Experience is meant to achieve?
    Glad to hear that - so often not the case I am sure, in many different occupations.

Given the state of Wick High School and the cuts in the number of teachers to teach our children there, I find it surprising that people want the council to spend their limited resources on musicians/artists and cycle paths.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast