Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fav foreign film(s)

The Seventh Seal is my all time favourite.
    A Knight and his squire are home from the crusades. Black Death is sweeping their country. As they approach home, Death appears to the knight and tells him it is his time. The knight challenges Death to a chess game for his life. The Knight and Death play as the cultural turmoil envelopes the people around them as they try, in different ways, to deal with the upheaval the plague has caused...

.but the rest of these are excellent Pelle the Conquerer ,Man of Iron,Battleship Potemkin and Jean de Florette
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 26-Aug-09 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    I don't have many foreign films, 3 to be exact.
    They are Taxi, Taxi2 and Taxi3. Brilliant french films and even though i have to read the subtitles i still can laugh and cry when im meant too?

whats your fav foreign film?
    The Shawshank Redemption. Best foreign film ever.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dog-eared View Post
    Cinema paradiso
    Amelie
    Loads of Russian animation films.
    Das Boot

Fitzcarraldo - written and directed by Werner Herzog and starring Klaus Kinsky.
    The one about the opera guy dragging a boat across Peru. They nearly killed each other before the filming was finished !!
    [edit] Story

Brian "Fitzcarraldo" Fitzgerald, a European living in a small city in Peru in the early part of the 20th century, has a great love of opera and an indomitable spirit. He is a great fan of the famous tenor Enrico Caruso and he dreams of building an opera house in his city of Iquitos. This will require a lot of money, and the most profitable industry in Peru at the time is rubber. The areas known to contain rubber trees have been parceled up by the Peruvian government and can be leased for exploitation.
    Fitzcarraldo investigates getting into the rubber business. He is shown a map by a helpful rubber baron, who points out the only remaining unclaimed parcel in the area. He explains why no one has yet claimed the parcel: while it straddles the Ucayali River, the parcel is cut off from the Amazon by a treacherous set of rapids. However, Fitzcarraldo notices that the Pachitea River, another Amazon tributary, comes within several hundred meters to the Ucayali upstream of the parcel.[1]
    To make his dream a reality, he leases the inaccessible parcel from the government. With the selfless underwriting of his paramour and brothel owner, Molly (Claudia Cardinale), he buys a steamer (which he christens the Molly Aida) from the same rubber baron, raises a crew and sets off up the Pachitea, the parallel river. This river is known to be more dangerous the further one gets from the Amazon because of the unfriendly tribes that inhabit the area. Fitzcarraldo's plan is to reach the point where the two rivers nearly meet and then, with the manpower of enlisted natives, physically pull his three-story, 320-ton steamer over the muddy 40° hillside across an isthmus, from one river to the next.[2] Using the steamer, he will then collect rubber on the upper Ucayali and bring it down the Pachitea to market.
    The 1982 book Fitzcarraldo: The Original Story from Fjord Press (ISBN 0-940242-04-4) reproduces Herzog's first version of the story before the screenplay was written.
    Yes! This is an ab fab movie.

Ich liebe 'Das Boot' auch.

I agree with Metalattakk about Shawshank.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    I don't have many foreign films, 3 to be exact.
    They are Taxi, Taxi2 and Taxi3. Brilliant french films and even though i have to read the subtitles i still can laugh and cry when im meant too?

whats your fav foreign film?
    You should check out "Man Bites Dog" and my personal favourite "OldBoy".
    Nobody has mentioned the most famous Foreign film of all time yet:

"The Sound of Music"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12