Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

So if/when Tesco build another store, what will happen to the existing Tesco in Thurso?
    It is unlikely that another supermarket will go in there. Look what's happening to Haldanes in Wick. They did not last long.

Chris.
    Member of The Scottish Tartans Authority
    Member of the Clan MacLaren Society
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

There was a rumour that a new high school would be built on the site of the old Tesco. That seemed unlikely at the time if only due to reasons of space. It seems even more unlikely now but you never know with large business empires like Tesco.I didn't think Haldane's in Wick had a hope in hell and unfortunately for them that was the case.

The Courier reported this week that the Millbank Tesco is up for sale. The actual advertisement says 'to let/may sell'.

See #10 last paragraph
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Has building started on the Mart site or have miracles not yet made it past Inverness?

I heard three snippets of information this week. One is that Tesco are retrenching and have cancelled their new-build programme for the forseeable future. The second is that Asda is on the warpath and the north is in their targets again. The third is the same as the second with Asda replaced by ...... Sainsbury's.

Bring it on!!! Asda or Sainsburys, I dont care which, as long as its up here.

I am sure i read somewhere that tesco's are planning to build before christmas and yes they did buy to keep asda away as they thought if asda came up here then they would go out off buisness, but dont get me wrong i might have read it wrong and if i have then i do apologise.

I hear the inevitable has happened and the Ormlie Road site has been targeted by vandals and graffiti artists.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I hear the inevitable has happened and the Ormlie Road site has been targeted by vandals and graffiti artists.
    Well at least somebody is doing something with the site

Quote Originally Posted by sistevens View Post
    Well at least somebody is doing something with the site
    Well yes, but it's not what we had hoped for.......

I'm pleased to note that our prospective Lib Dem councillor is doing his best to keep Tesco honest but it appears that nothing has changed since I started this thread. Which is sad but predictable.

On the other hand we should note that Roger Saxon voted against the ASDA plan that would have avoided this predictable mess that Tesco have created.
    Last edited by crayola; 18-Apr-12 at 00:26.

Unfortunately Tesco don't want to talk to me anymore. No reply to emails since January, no response to phone calls either.But that will not stop me trying!

Perhaps Tesco realise that speaking to the Condems is pointless.

Speak to Mr Clarke

Seen here talking cobblers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17752389

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Noble View Post
    Unfortunately Tesco don't want to talk to me anymore. No reply to emails since January, no response to phone calls either.But that will not stop me trying!
    Thanks for trying. It does need sorting out. If you get elected will you try to get the council to tell them build or planning permission will be withdrawn?

My current understanding is that building works have commenced the test for that is very low level, and the demolition of the existing buildings and the removal and breakup of the concrete areas probably is sufficient to pass that test.

If building works have commenced then my understanding is that planning permission cannot be withdrawn. If the works have not commenced then if I remember correctly permission has already lapsed.

What I would like to see is for the council to use its compulsory purchase powers to acquire the site to develop it as a combined sport/leisure/theatre centre. The need for such a facility in Thurso was clearly identified in a report dating back to 2008, the prefered location was identified as close to the high school, the old mart site would seem ideal.

By acquiring the site and developing it in this way the council will create short term construction jobs, long term jobs to staff the centre, promote health and fitness in the community and remove a real carbuncle from the face of Thurso.

I would also then like to see the local development plan amended to provide a location for large scale retail/supermarket development. This would not mean that a development would or should take place, it would however simplify the process for any such development if any supermarket wished to do so.

If Tesco should be spurred into action by these suggestions and actually build there new store on the mart site then I would like to see the Council buy the existing Tesco site and redevelop that as a sports/leisure/theatre centre - again it makes a good fit in the local infrastructure being so close to many other existing sports and leisure facilities.

Obviously I am aware of the considerable funds required for this to happen but believe that funding could be put in place for such a development.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Perhaps Tesco realise that speaking to the Condems is pointless.
    What Tesco have done is decide not to build in Thurso, and not to do anything about tidying up the site. To the best of my knowledge not one of the people currently trying to engage with Tesco for the benefit of the whole of Thurso can get any response from them.

Why you feel the need for petty name calling at every opportunity is quite beyond me.

What would you like to see happen to the site?

Do you think it enhances the environment of Thurso to have such an eyesore?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Speak to Mr Clarke

Seen here talking cobblers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17752389
    Believe me I have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Noble View Post
    My current understanding is that building works have commenced the test for that is very low level, and the demolition of the existing buildings and the removal and breakup of the concrete areas probably is sufficient to pass that test.

If building works have commenced then my understanding is that planning permission cannot be withdrawn. If the works have not commenced then if I remember correctly permission has already lapsed.

What I would like to see is for the council to use its compulsory purchase powers to acquire the site to develop it as a combined sport/leisure/theatre centre. The need for such a facility in Thurso was clearly identified in a report dating back to 2008, the prefered location was identified as close to the high school, the old mart site would seem ideal.

By acquiring the site and developing it in this way the council will create short term construction jobs, long term jobs to staff the centre, promote health and fitness in the community and remove a real carbuncle from the face of Thurso.

I would also then like to see the local development plan amended to provide a location for large scale retail/supermarket development. This would not mean that a development would or should take place, it would however simplify the process for any such development if any supermarket wished to do so.

If Tesco should be spurred into action by these suggestions and actually build there new store on the mart site then I would like to see the Council buy the existing Tesco site and redevelop that as a sports/leisure/theatre centre - again it makes a good fit in the local infrastructure being so close to many other existing sports and leisure facilities.

Obviously I am aware of the considerable funds required for this to happen but believe that funding could be put in place for such a development.
    I really like what I'm hearing here.......good thinking Nick.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Has anybody pulled the Appointments report at companies house, I know it's only a quid but if someone has already got it....?

What directors of these kind of companies don't like is letters sent to their home address (assuming they haven't listed the company office as their address as some do now).
    What really pishes off the board is the scattergun approach, send a letter to everyone of them, at home.

You will get response that way. I know it works.

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast