Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    Or R S McColl......
    BTW, it's "They're", not "their"

Quote Originally Posted by annthracks View Post
    BTW, it's "They're", not "their"

What does that matter?

but then you're paying for that difference. Sainsury is more expensive than Tesco, Tesco is more expensive than ASDA, CO-OP somewhere in the middle with very little choice, and then you've got Morrisons, Aldi/Lidl
    If I were city based still I would rather pay for the difference. Instead I'd rather do a few bits and bobs in the Supermarket, shop locally for fruit, veg, meat and fish and get the occasional food parcel sent up from my mum

Leanne, I shop in Sainsburys for what I cannot get from the market, I find it as cheap as Tescos, although I hate using supermarkets I have enough experience of the two to make that comparison.

Of course, I am basing my comparison on quality, and that is not going to win over people who shop in Farmfoods or Iceland, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    What does that matter?
    It probably doesn't, but I have an obsessive compulsive disorder about "there, they're and their", and I have to correct people on what is obviously not a typographical error.
    Other spelling mistakes whether through lack of education (ignorance) or laziness (eg. txt spk) I can and do ignore.
    :-)

It probably doesn't, but I have an obsessive compulsive disorder about "there, they're and their", and I have to correct people on what is obviously not a typographical error.
    Other spelling mistakes whether through lack of education (ignorance) or laziness (eg. txt spk) I can and do ignore.
    :-)
    Thare, Thare

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Daft question probably but why would anyone want ASDA? I used to get embarrassed as a kid that my parents shopped there... Or is there no supermarket snobbery up here?
    I get embarrassed on the rare occasions I shop there now. I keep my head down and hope no-one I know sees me.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I get embarrassed on the rare occasions I shop there now. I keep my head down and hope no-one I know sees me.
    Tell the truth, you only shop there in the hope someone pats your bum.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Tell the truth, you only shop there in the hope someone pats your bum.
    In Govan? I'd be out of there faster than an offended orger on ice. And I'm not talking about frozen water here.

Some websites beggar belief. Look at this

Asda Jobs In Thurso

Look at all the companies advertising Graduate Jobs in Thurso

How do they get away with this?

Default Re:

You are not right. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

the council in north norfolk have just turned down Tesco's application for the umpteenth time..apparently Tesco are planning another appeal...it costs councils millions to try to stand up against Tesco when they want to put a supermarket up
    Keep it country

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time?
    I wrote the above nearly a year ago and nothing seems to have changed since then.

Friday's Groat carried the story..............

Superstore giant denies 'land-banking' claim
    Published: 30 April, 2010

The deserted former auction mart site in Thurso where Tesco has planning permission to build a supermarket and four-pump petrol station. John Macrae

TESCO is facing claims that its purchase of the former auction mart site in Thurso is a ruse to prevent a rival supermarket starting up in the town.

The charge of "land-banking" was yesterday scotched by the food chain, which has full planning consent to redevelop the ground, off Ormlie Road. It insists it remains committed to building a new superstore to replace its current outlet in the town.

Tesco came under fire at this week's meeting of Thurso Community Council, which previously unsuccessfully supported a competing bid by Asda to build a store on farmland at Pennyland, on the outskirts of the town.

Vice-chairman Bert Macleod pulled no punches at Tuesday evening's meeting.

"They are just land-banking to keep Asda out," he claimed. "They have no intention of doing anything in the near future. I know a lot of people who are of a similar mind to me."

Local Highland councillor Donnie Mackay said he is concerned at slippage in Tesco's schedule for developing the auction mart site.

Read the full story at Superstore giant denies 'land-banking' claim

Are Tesco Land Banking? Is the delay due to the recession? Or are Thurso Community Council refusing to take their teeth out of a battle they lost years ago?

What do you think?
    Last edited by crayola; 03-May-10 at 02:20. Reason: Punctuation

I think there should be a date set at which they must lay foundations or planning permission is revoked permanently and the land must be sold on the open market, even if it means it's a competitor that buys the land. Tesco own a piece of land close to 1/4 mile from where I live, they've owned it for 11 years, but made no attempt to develop it. That to me is wrong when the land could be used by another business or build houses upon.

Thumbs down Tesco

Crayola, I think this article in yesterdays P & J says it all.....

It makes me mad to think that we have little option but to continue to use their stores here in the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavenderblue2 View Post
    Crayola, I think this article in yesterdays P & J says it all.....

It makes me mad to think that we have little option but to continue to use their stores here in the North.
    I see what you mean.

has anyone ever noticed though that if tescos want to build a store they usually just seem to get the green light regardless of what us bottom feeders think or want? i think the highland council and tescos have a wee secret deal on the go. Let the conspirciy theories commence

Smile Asda in tain

well in the p and j it is saying that tesco are asking the council in tain to look again and decide again if they will let asda build in tain so this is just showing that they do worry. i just wish we had some where in thurso for cheap kids clothes and wick tesco isn't that great 4 boys clothes

Default Asda in Tain

Now that Tesco has protested again. The powers that be in Highland Council are bound to reject the application, just wait and see. I bet Asda dont get in at Tain. Tesco can do what they want in Highland Region, why is that I wonder.????

After all the fuss..............

Disbelief at new Tesco store plans

THE effect on Thurso of Tesco's flit to the derelict auction mart site should not be significant, it has been claimed.

Community councillor Don Smith was speaking after the retail giant confirmed it plans to have its new base open by the spring of next year.

Speaking at last Tuesday evening's meeting of Thurso Community Council, Mr Smith said: "I can't see Tesco having much effect as they not going into the town centre. They are not going to be much different from their current site at Millbank."
    Well well well, after all the fighting and all the arguments the effect on Thurso of Tesco's flit to the derelict auction mart site should not be significant.

God help all you Tesco fans. The current Thurso Tesco is one of the least enticing I've ever had the misfortune to shop in.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast