Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Well they should give up then.

Still holds? from 'BigPete' 29 Sep 06:

So Councillor Smith voted against the application [for ASDA] because it was against the "Local Plan" .
    However, on the 28th April councillor Smith voted to allow Tesco to build in Wick - inspite of the FACT (I quote) "this does not comply with the Local Plan". How does he explain this totally incomprehensible volte-face? For heavens sake he's a Wick Councillor; votes to allow encroachment on their 'Local Plan' but scuppers up Thurso's!
    And he has the audacity to state we are all 'Shallow'!! and 'Knee-jerk reactions' and 'Will live to regret', my God how the man spouts platitudes, is he so totally unaware that the Chamber of Commerce wants ASDA, that The Community Council wants ASDA, that the Mart was TOTALLY unsuitable (access, etc etc) that near 3,000 people signed a petition, who basically does he think he is?
    Of course we have two Thurso Councillors who voted against but hey, wait a minute, where do they live?

Local plan! The local plan was put in place when it was envisioned that Dounreay would go on for ever, whoops! no it 'aint, so if you got some supermarket offering to come into Thurso, bite their bleeding hands off! That's Jobs and Hey, seeing that MILLIONS of pounds go south anyway for shopping in Inverness etc, are those councillors so blind they can't see that Thurso folk WILL travel over to Tesco's???
    Green Field site? - Thurso's SURROUNDED by greenfields! A Local Plan is not encased in concrete, things CHANGE (honest), would Pennyland be happy with a great big hotel [permitted] with guests looking into their windows? A noisy sports arena? [permitted].. So we won't see Smith going into ASDA? yeah right!

Yours, a knee-jerker and shallow(er)

Guess what? You are not getting your ASDA. Boo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Guess what? You are not getting your ASDA. Boo hoo!
    Am I bovered?

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    That's Jobs and Hey, seeing that MILLIONS of pounds go south anyway for shopping in Inverness etc, are those councillors so blind they can't see that Thurso folk WILL travel over to Tesco's???

It always gets me when companies mention jobs being created by whatever they intend to do. And which jobs do they count? The contractors that travel for miles to work on the construction, do they count the jobs that get laid off elsewhere.

And as for Asda millions, do you think they are gonna buy local and support local farmers etc. Nope.
    And all the money they take gets wired to the US every Sunday afternoon, not a lot is supporting this local economy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Tesco's behave any better.
    Asda are stack tat high and sell it in bulk merchants, they are adding to todays and the future health problems of this country, Tesco too are following suit.

Going into treehugginghippy mode, the local councillors should stop taking the brown envelopes and start looking to the future support of the county in more ways than one.
    Support local business and produce, get people eating better and healthier simply grown food. We've got enough supermarkets selling processed ready meals and crap snack foods en mass, fiizzy pop & alchypops for pennies and foreign welfare ambiguous meats.

And you know what really gets me going (boy I'm nearly on a rant here) their pork pies. Asda used to sell the best 6 pack of mini Melton Mowbray's this side of....erm Melton. But then they cheapened them and filled them with abattoir floor scrapings 'cos they "rolled back" the price, the bar stewards they are.
    Never forgave 'em for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    There is already an Asda in tain Has been for a while.
    not yet.................. have a look at these reports

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/caseF...09/00537/PIPSU
    Last edited by Mr P Cannop; 31-Jan-10 at 23:42.

Just to throw t'pence in. I am an ex Wick retail employee and have discussed business with pretty much all the high streeters. From this and my own experience, and it is very general observation. The more elderly of the population tend to frequent the high street. the ones that value service. Quite a chunk of the population will do anything it seems to avoid shopping local.

Personally I think Wick high street is poorly appointed and not very welcoming but then I don't like pedestrianisation. Just to be even handed I think Thurso is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Avoid supermarkets where possible, but if you really need to use them work out the best bet ethically. There is a lot of research available at the click of yer fair trade mouse pointing out the best and worst.
    Waitrose are supposed to be the most ethical and I've been shopping there since they opened here a couple of months ago.

I've noticed though that some of their products seem to be identical to M&S products with different labels.

Still holds? from 'BigPete' 29 Sep 06:

So Councillor Smith voted against the application [for ASDA] because it was against the "Local Plan" .
    However, on the 28th April councillor Smith voted to allow Tesco to build in Wick - inspite of the FACT (I quote) "this does not comply with the Local Plan". How does he explain this totally incomprehensible volte-face? For heavens sake he's a Wick Councillor; votes to allow encroachment on their 'Local Plan' but scuppers up Thurso's!
    And he has the audacity to state we are all 'Shallow'!! and 'Knee-jerk reactions' and 'Will live to regret', my God how the man spouts platitudes, is he so totally unaware that the Chamber of Commerce wants ASDA, that The Community Council wants ASDA, that the Mart was TOTALLY unsuitable (access, etc etc) that near 3,000 people signed a petition, who basically does he think he is?
    Of course we have two Thurso Councillors who voted against but hey, wait a minute, where do they live?

Local plan! The local plan was put in place when it was envisioned that Dounreay would go on for ever, whoops! no it 'aint, so if you got some supermarket offering to come into Thurso, bite their bleeding hands off! That's Jobs and Hey, seeing that MILLIONS of pounds go south anyway for shopping in Inverness etc, are those councillors so blind they can't see that Thurso folk WILL travel over to Tesco's???
    Green Field site? - Thurso's SURROUNDED by greenfields! A Local Plan is not encased in concrete, things CHANGE (honest), would Pennyland be happy with a great big hotel [permitted] with guests looking into their windows? A noisy sports arena? [permitted].. So we won't see Smith going into ASDA? yeah right!

Yours, a knee-jerker and shallow(er)
    I must admire your skill at building straw men and shooting at them with tangents. Do you ever address issues head on or do you always pick at nits after the train has long since left the station? Never mind, Tesco will be right next to the station so you might actually catch it next time.

Although since the Mart is totally unsuitable I assume you won't actually be shopping there.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    the ones that value service.

This is key, despite all the BS that you see in the big stores 9 times out of 10 you cannot beat a smaller, local co' for service. Yes it's gonna cost more, it's obvious, but it's a lot less hassle to sort any problems out.

What we are not realising is where our cash goes ultimately. We want cheap goods, cheap telly's, cheap food and we are happy to troll off to Asda/Tesco/Somerfield etc. to get this. All the while "local"* producers and manufacturers are getting pushed out of the market because they don't employ 8 year olds at tuppence per week to cobble together their designer gear.

Another "local"* dairy farm goes bankrupt because it cannot afford the cost of the steroids that they need to pump into the cattle to keep the milk production high enough to keep the prices low enough for the supermarkets to buy their produce, oh, is that your brother/cousin that has been laid off 'cos you want milk 1p per pint cheaper from the supermarket.

*I'm talking UK wide.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I must admire your skill at building straw men and shooting at them with tangents. Do you ever address issues head on or do you always pick at nits after the train has long since left the station? Never mind, Tesco will be right next to the station so you might actually catch it next time.

Although since the Mart is totally unsuitable I assume you won't actually be shopping there.

Yes I do address issues head on, Doug Wilson Tesco's Corporate Affairs Manager rang me personally to address issues re Tesco at 'the Mart'.. I am nevertheless intrigued Crayola, why you seem to think it pertinent to attempt to impress, no, lets not get too excited; bore, with your juvenile twittering..
    And yes atually (sic) I did catch the train, and further down the line joined the sleeper although not really necessary as somnolence was attained by your post. Many salutations for your admiration at my skill - obviously you recognise excellence, and that seemed to be attained without the use of a Poll. Oh well, time for sleep, it's getting late and must keep my eyes off your next post before I hit the hay..
    keep smiling

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Personally I think Wick high street is poorly appointed and not very welcoming but then I don't like pedestrianisation. Just to be even handed I think Thurso is worse.
    That's an interesting comparison. I prefer Thurso but that may just be what I'm used to. There doesn't seem to be much in it.

and nobody mentioned Morrisons, I see......
    Bagpuss

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss View Post
    and nobody mentioned Morrisons, I see......
    Or Sainsburys.........

Or R S McColl......
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Daft question probably but why would anyone want ASDA? I used to get embarrassed as a kid that my parents shopped there... Or is there no supermarket snobbery up here?

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Daft question probably but why would anyone want ASDA? I used to get embarrassed as a kid that my parents shopped there... Or is there no supermarket snobbery up here?
    Basically as competition with Tesco and to sell fuel a lot cheaper than the present 'suppliers' in Thurso?
    Last edited by bekisman; 10-Feb-10 at 00:10.

Basically as competition with Tesco and to sell fuel a lott cheaper than the present 'suppliers' in Thurso?
    Sainsburys do petrol to at the same price but the Supermarket it tons better.

Tesco's is better than asda but Sainsburys is better than Tescos (IMHO)

There's no supermarket snobbery up here because there're few supermarkets!

For a "big monthly shop" I'd shop at ASDA given the choice, based on cost, then Tesco

Sainsburys do petrol to at the same price but the Supermarket it tons better.

Tesco's is better than asda but Sainsburys is better than Tescos (IMHO)
    but then you're paying for that difference. Sainsury is more expensive than Tesco, Tesco is more expensive than ASDA, CO-OP somewhere in the middle with very little choice, and then you've got Morrisons, Aldi/Lidl

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast