Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Your link was 'unavailable' - try this one.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files..._A1-935453.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Murdina Bug View Post
    Your link was 'unavailable' - try this one.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files..._A1-935453.pdf
    ehh, so's your one! Maybe the links time out in reference to the search facility?

“We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I don't get all the excitement over another town centre destroying retail park.
    Thurso needs it about as much as it needs an invasion by Daesh

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Did you not vote for wait rose in a previous thread? I'm sure the co-op wouldn't mind them!

I am sure that whoever moves in won't be raping women & children, throwing LGBT people off buildings or beheading those who disagree with them.

If Thurso doesn't need or want it, Thurso won't go there and buy stuff, will it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    So, we have two swimming pools with a huge car park and not a lot of seating.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files..._A1-935462.pdf
    Copy and paste this into your search bar. It's definately Aldi there even building the exact same one in Stoke for a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by allanrfc View Post
    Did you not vote for wait rose in a previous thread? I'm sure the co-op wouldn't mind them!
    Indeed I did, it was very much with my tongue in my cheek though

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    I am sure that whoever moves in won't be raping women & children, throwing LGBT people off buildings or beheading those who disagree with them.

I dunno, if many of the high streets elsewhere which have these retail parks are anything to go by. Many of them have been rodgered roughly against their will

Perusal of the plans for the mart site reveals that the colour and even the brand and manufacturer of the bricks demanded are the same as specified by Aldi in plans for other sites in the country. Is that fait accompli then? Or will there be another long drawn out saga over planning permission followed by inaction on the construction front?

And what about the identity of the retailer for the outlet with garden centre?

Please not natal an or one of the other cheap 'n' nasties.
    Last edited by crayola; 10-Jan-16 at 15:12.

totally agree with you on this point, it is exactly what i have said, the council knew that tesco were not building the store yet wasted money and said nothing

Here are some links to the planning application that hopefully won't time out and become 'unavailable'.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/appli...=NZGNHSIHGP500

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/appli...=NZGNHSIHGP500

Fingers crossed.

A question for Raymond Taylor.

Do you support the new retail proposals at the Mart? Or have you written a letter of objection similar to the one you submitted in 2013? You may recall it containing the statements below.

'We also pointed out that the Mart site was not fit for purpose and this has been proven by Tesco not delivering the store.'

'The Mart has been proven to be not fit for purpose...'

I disagree with these statements.
    Last edited by crayola; 05-Feb-16 at 12:23.

Full statement below so the whole sentences can be read. I have not and will not object to the present proposals. Pure NIMBYISM has done enough damage to the towns future these past few years.

My Dad was always telling me opportunity is a fickle mistress and we as a community in my opinion have shot ourselves in the foot a couple of times when we couldn't really afford to.

I'm glad you disagree with my statements, it gives me comfort that I am heading in the right direction.

Statement- My 2013 objection to Tesco getting an extension after 5 years sitting on their hands.

I write in respect to the above two planning applications to formally object to the proposals for extensions to the time allowed for the development to commence. The applicants have had over five years to implement these proposals and it is clear that this is unlikely in the near term, with Thursotherefore continuing to suffer from a retail deficiency that needs to be addressed.

For over five years the people of Thurso have been denied what they requested; retail competitiveness and in consequence much cheaper fuel. Competition in the retail and fuel sectors is hugely important in such an isolated community. One company having a dominant position is disastrous situation even when things are not as tough as they are now for families.
    The Highland Council have the chance to right a wrong by refusing an extension to the permission given.

Background
    Our team submitted a planning application in 2006 for the development of a 2896m2 ASDA store and petrol filling station at Pennyland Farm, Thurso. The local community council and the Highland Council Planners were in support of the Pennyland proposals, as were a large majority of locals, resulting in an original approval decision at Planning Committee. Unfortunately this decision was called in by Scottish Ministers and the public local inquiry chose to support the Auction Mart site in 2008.

My Proposals
    The planning application at Pennyland Farm would already have been delivered if approved at the inquiry and would have filled a huge hole in the market. This would also have enabled the Thurso Western Expansion Plan (WEP) as identified at the recent Charrette to get off to the best possible start and attract other investment and sustainable jobs.
    Enabling future development in these troubled times is a huge part of the equation in making any development a success. Thurso needs the WEP to deliver what the town needs to take it forward over the next two or three decades.

Our retail and hotel plans are only part of the WEP with an access roundabout, 170 aces of community woodland, tourism projects, housing, various other retail options and the required link road from the A836 to High Ormlie all included. Many km of walks, holiday chalets, community projects, office and business units are also part of our overall vision and could all be delivered.

Allowing an extension to the Mart site permission does absolutely the opposite and has no benefit in kind apart from site becoming less of an eyesore. The recent Charrette has identified other uses more suitable to this site and will have the same effect on the site. There has to be an argument that if you extend the present permission the eyesore will remain as Tesco have no intention to build.
    I have a retailer and hotel operator ready and willing to develop. Not in five years’ time, but now (or as soon as planning is approved) with 160 jobs projected. Thurso, I am sorry to say is slowly bleeding to death and we need to stem the flow. The WEP given the retail and hotel sites to kick start the development with sustainable jobs will in my view will do this and give much needed confidence to the community both public and business.

Auction Mart Applications

This is not the first letter of objection I have written against the Mart site retail development. I appeared at the Pennyland v Mart site public enquiry. At that time which was over five years ago we warned that the Mart site was purchased to stop other retailers coming to the town in competition to Tesco. We also pointed out that the Mart site was not fit for purpose and this has been proven by Tesco not delivering the store.
    If common sense were to prevail then a planning permission extension in this case would most certainly not be granted. It is obvious Tesco are protecting their stores elsewhere by dragging this out as they have done in so many other locations. We cannot allow the town to suffer any more broken promises. Even Tesco are unsure what they are doing with the local press last year quoting Tesco Corporate affairs manager Gloria Coats. She revealed discussions are being held regarding the site and said scrapping the plans are a possibility. “I can confirm that we are currently considering our options for the site, and one of these options includes the possibility of selling the site”. If the corporate affairs manager has no clue what the future holds for us why should we even give them the time of day never mind an extension. If the permission cannot be delivered or there is no commitment to deliver, an extension to permission cannot be granted, and the Highland Council have no legal obligation to do so.

Viability and Design Challenges

There are significant challenges facing Tesco’s delivery of the Auction Mart site, including providing convenient public access both on foot and vehicular from Ormlie Road. Dealing with the slope requires a retaining wall at the bottom of the site. This wall needs 12m high if I remember correctly from the enquiry and will face the all arriving trains at the entrance to the town’s station. Clearly this is not appropriate. Turning an eyesore into an eyesore is not good planning.

Health Issues

There will be a doubling of traffic in the area if the mart site is developed. I would ask if this is sensible with this site neighbouring the entrances to schools, nurseries and a college. I really think a consideration should be given to measuring present emission levels and calculating the increase. It goes without saying 1800 pupils and a huge increase in traffic is not a good mix. Some of the busiest times at this type of retail facility are the same times the kids come and go.

Thurso - Future Success of Developing to the West

We now have an opportunity backed up by the recent Charrette to make the Western Expansion Plan the catalyst to the beginning of Thurso’s recovery.

Summary

I urge the Highland Council to reject any extension to this approval. The Mart has been proven to be not fit for purpose and has been identified for much more appropriate uses with its proximity to the Schools and College at the Charrette. Our site at Pennyland is by far the best option for the town’s future health and prosperity; it is available, deliverable and allows the WEP to be delivered in a coherent and cohesive way.

I feel confident enough to state categorically that there is no benefit to the people of Thurso in giving Tesco an extension in this case.

Yours sincerely

Raymond Taylor

Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 09-Feb-16 at 09:44.

Well that's a lot more positive than your usual responses Raymond sweetie.

In my opinion everyone in the town should shout out their support for the new proposal at the Mart. Isn't this development necessary to facilitate a secure economic future for the town?

Come on Raymond sweetie, surprise me by reaching deep inside your soul and display your love towards the people of your home town by publicly declaring your active support for this new proposal in every way you can.
    Last edited by crayola; 14-Feb-16 at 00:45.

Can you give me an example of where a retail park has secured the economic future of a town elsewhere in Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Well that's a lot more positive than your usual responses Raymond sweetie.

In my opinion everyone in the town should shout out their support for the new proposal at the Mart. Isn't this development necessary to facilitate a secure economic future for the town?

Come on Raymond sweetie, surprise me by reaching deep inside your soul and display your love towards the people of your home town by publicly declaring your active support for this new proposal in every way you can.

Do do you try to irk me by calling me "Sweetie" in all your comments towards me ? I don't even know who you are? you know who I am so answer this question for me. Name and address please! Only my friends can call me pet names.

No one know who the operators are at the Mart so it's only a fool that would support anything before knowing the detail.

Well Mr Taylor when can we expect to see your hotel and chalets being started. Have to say that the premises at Pennyland are worse looking than the Mart sight.