Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Checking out the plans there's 2 units, both around 20000 sq ft which makes them about the same size as the current Thurso Tesco. about 2/3 the size of Tain Asda, and only 2/5 the size of Wick Tesco. There's also no mention/indication of fuel pumps and, interestingly, a large swathe of land between the proposed site area and the High School site not included within said plans.

With Thurso population significantly higher than (around double) that of Tain I personally can't see Asda bothering opening a smaller store - they'd surely want to try & compete with Wick Tesco to keep / draw folk to the new store, and that would require as big & include fuel pumps IMHO. Unfortunately there's also no provision to improve the current 6-way junction which causes me and many other folk a lot of concern and consternation.

If it is to be a supermarket then the most logical one is Aldi. They are expanding all around the UK. As you say too small for ASDA, Morrisons too who are closing stores.

I really would like to see an "ICELAND" opening in Thurso.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    If it is to be a supermarket then the most logical one is Aldi. They are expanding all around the UK. As you say too small for ASDA, Morrisons too who are closing stores.
    9 years ago just that thought was on the Org: http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...LDI-for-Thurso be nice if it happened..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Waitrose gets my vote

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Waitrose gets my vote
    Would be nice but none passed Sterling, so no chance.

Aldi has just announced 8 new stores in Scotland in 2016, so still my bet.

Just had a look at ALDI requirements for new sites:

https://corporate.aldi.co.uk/en/prop...irement-towns/

"We have an ambitious UK investment and development programme, which means that we are always looking for sites with a catchment population in excess of 10,000 and ideally situated on principal roads with prominent road frontage."

10,000? Hmm might be bit of a stumbling block Although Thurso has 7,933 population (I'd come in from 'Out west')! But Dingwall is on their list for potential sites...
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I would think the catchment area for Thurso would be over 10,000 - it would include Halkirk and Reay for starters, plus a lot of the villages further west.

No Aldi for Thurso. Never mind, maybe next time. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...ish-expansion/
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Retail unit with a garden centre, hmmm, sounds like Homebase

Homebase already in Wick & closing stores left right & centre. Large rumours wick will close

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    Homebase already in Wick & closing stores left right & centre. Large rumours wick will close

Homebase are not going to build another store 21 miles away from one already. perhaps B & Q or maybe Wickes or Dobbies ? Don't quite know how all these outlets are going to survive in a small catchment area myself

i thought dobbies is part of the tesco chain

Scry as I may, I find it hard to forsee a good outcome when you the people have such lowly desires and expectations. No-one can truly desire Farmfoods or Iceland or natal an. It isn't humanly possible to set your vision so low unless you have given up on ambition. The one man with the courage to dream of Waitrose has his dreams shattered in an instant of public dismissal. How sad.

I was reminded of my own career setbacks whilst watching one of my favourite films on tv tonight. Elle Woods believed in herself in Legally Blonde. She succeeded at Harvard Law school despite the whole world seeing her as a dumb blonde sorority girl with nothing but air between her ears and Prada shoes on her feet. I had similar problems getting into the country' top universities because of how I looked and what I had started doing for a living.

But I believed in myself and I didn't give up and I got both my degrees with the highest grades. You the people of Thurso must do the same. Don't look down at your feet and settle for natal an or Farmfoods. Tell the developers what you really want.

Do it!

All of you!

Now!

I have to say, I'd love a Waitrose or M&S Simply Food, but thought I'd get shot down in flames!

I'm just happy there seems to be progress. It's being an eyesore for too long.

What's needed there ia a "SoDoSoPa".....

“We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

i once pack frozen veg for waitrose saniburys tesco and nisa also the frozen vef was used by ms and they all come off the same conveyor belt just packed in different packaging so why pay over the odds for the same food just because the shop has a better name i say iceland or farm foods should come that the local wage packet will be better spent after all many are on the minimum wage up here where every penny counts

crayola,It's not low expectations just basic economics. Caithness has a very small population therefore the majors won't come here to make losses.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files..._A1-935462.pdf
    hope this link works plans for the shop at high school end looks a lot like Aldi