Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I'd like to think so, but I doubt there's enough demand for housing in thurso to give tesco the return they would want for the site.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

I see the CEO of Tesco, Philip Clarke, has just quit! Plummeting sales amongst a few other reasons were quoted for his departure.

Guess there won't be a new Tesco in Thurso after all.....
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

did you notice in the sunday newspaper that TESCO are now SELLING land that they were going to build new stores to housing developers, INSTEAD of building the stores, OR they will be building houses on the land themselves!!!Has caithness council got hold of this one ?

I had to laugh at this. Typical of Tesco though.
    http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/ne...lves-1-3503368
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
    did you notice in the sunday newspaper that TESCO are now SELLING land that they were going to build new stores to housing developers, INSTEAD of building the stores, OR they will be building houses on the land themselves!!!Has caithness council got hold of this one ?
    I think they have been doing this for many years

What now for the mart site after Tesco's profits and financial reputation have gone into meltdown, so much that the revolving door of senior Tesco management is spinning faster than a politician on an ego trip? The chance of a new build is surely nil for another five years at least. So what to do there? New houses? Different big shoppies in a retail park? A park for the people to walk and sit in? Or to remain an eyesore for another five years while the local politicians continue to bluster or sit on their hands?

Without a doubt, To remain an eyesore for another five years while the local politicians continue to sit on their hands only taking them out briefly to put their expenses in their pocket. With no chance of a retail park as for some reason the local politicians prefer to see that bit of caithness growth to be on the wick side of the county

I personally wouldn't suggest a retail park at the mart due to its proximity to an attractive residential area and to the high school, not to mention the station and the Miller. I find some attraction in a public park to improve the amenity of the area.

Perhaps some much needed social housing?
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Good road and rail links how's about a livestock market.

Quote Originally Posted by Sairheed View Post
    Good road and rail links how's about a livestock market.
    nah, that will never take off, - a livestock market. - indeed!
    then again, you could always build a supermarket. I hear there's a very big company wanting to do that but keep running into planning difficulties.

As another year ends with Tesco's market share dropping and its profits sinking like a stone, what future lies ahead for the long defunct site of the company's grand project? I heard rumours that Tesco would put the mart site up for sale in the autumn but as far as I know nothing happened. I don't forsee anything happening unless the Highland Council steps in. Tesco's financial situation is getting worse http://www.theguardian.com/business/...nge-dave-lewis so a new build is out of the question for the forseeable future. What say our elected councillors on their plan of action? I trust they have one.

"Councillors" + "Plan" + "Action" ....... sorry but those words don't go together ..

^^^^^^
    Very true. More realistic is Councillors/Back Pocket/Doubles all round/What are we meant to do?
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    As another year ends with Tesco's market share dropping and its profits sinking like a stone, what future lies ahead for the long defunct site of the company's grand project? I heard rumours that Tesco would put the mart site up for sale in the autumn but as far as I know nothing happened. I don't forsee anything happening unless the Highland Council steps in. Tesco's financial situation is getting worse http://www.theguardian.com/business/...nge-dave-lewis so a new build is out of the question for the forseeable future. What say our elected councillors on their plan of action? I trust they have one.
    It seems that Tesco are struggling to look after one store in Wick, it is starting to look very shabby from outside. There has been a solar panel missing from the roof since just after it opened and I believe the solar array has been switched off since, the wind terbines were a cheap gimmick merely to pull the wool over the councils eyes, and in any case were no match for the winds of Caithness.

I request a response from Councillor Fernie on the issue of Tesco and the mart site at Thurso. I would demand a response from Councillor Roger Saxon if I had any confidence he would blast out anything other than hot air. Stale hot air. It would nice to hear something from the lovely Councillor John Rosie.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I request a response from Councillor Fernie on the issue of Tesco and the mart site at Thurso. I would demand a response from Councillor Roger Saxon if I had any confidence he would blast out anything other than hot air. Stale hot air. It would nice to hear something from the lovely Councillor John Rosie.
    Strange how Tesco have not announced that they will not be progressing with the planned store in Thurso.

Perhaps they have forgotten they were supposed to be building one...

Well if you want confirmation of them not building a new store, have a read at this. Wouldn't surprise me if they closed the stores up here either.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tesco-wade...5.html#thPhCmO

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Well if you want confirmation of them not building a new store, have a read at this. Wouldn't surprise me if they closed the stores up here either.

The Wick store will be safe enough. It will be mostly the convenience stores that will be closing. If the Wick one isn't making money then they must be doing something seriously wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

Better reading this, and of the eight new stores they have announced they are not going to build in Scotland none are in Thurso...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-30725122