Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    The interior of Thurso's Tesco has the atmosphere of a biscuit tin that's been raided by kids and all the best biscuits taken. All that's left is crumbs and the biscuits no-one wants. Lidl has that fabulous vista which lifts the soul and refreshes those parts of your brain that have been numbed by aisles and trolleys. The view at the mart would I assume be somewhere between the two.
    The same vista that was taken away from the nearby residents when Lidl built their store. They should have built it at the bottom of the slope.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    The same vista that was taken away from the nearby residents when Lidl built their store. They should have built it at the bottom of the slope.
    I thought the view was of the back of the 3 storey scapa house. The pishy smell from the Helmsman bar can still be noticed when the wind blows from the north.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

thats the Glebe you are smelling
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    I don't know why they built Lidl so far up. But at least it's not a very tall building. If reports on another thread are accurate, Lidl are expanding down towards the main road anyways. That'll spoil the view for a few more local residents. But even then it won't be as bad as the Asda that was proposed for the field next to Pennyland farm. I still think Asda would have been granted planning permission next to BT if they'd asked for it.
    Last edited by crayola; 03-Jun-14 at 12:42.

I don't know why they built Lidl so far up. But at least it's not a very tall building. If reports on another thread are accurate, Lidl are expanding down towards the main road anyways. That'll spoil the view for a few more local residents. But it still won't be as bad as the Asda that was proposed for the field next to Pennyland farm. I still think Asda would have been granted planning permission next to BT if they'd asked for it.
    You do not have any right to a view, the only way you can ensure it is to buy the land
    W.A.T.P.

Ha ha that's a good suggestion. I see Tesco are in the news today with the headline 'Tesco reports sharp fall in sales'. Profits are down again also. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27692397 Tesco has 'also launched a programme of store ramps, which will see 650 stores across the UK upgraded in the next year'. This is consistent with what my Tesco manager contact was saying for years. Tesco's capital spending is on refurbishment rather than new build. The irony would be if they refurbish Thurso's current biscuit tin of a Tesco and turn it into a small jewellery box. That would turn the Saxophone apoplectic. What would Highland Council say? Would they start courting Asda for the mart?

Ha ha that's a good suggestion. I see Tesco are in the news today with the headline 'Tesco reports sharp fall in sales'. Profits are down again also. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27692397 Tesco has 'also launched a programme of store ramps, which will see 650 stores across the UK upgraded in the next year'. This is consistent with what my Tesco manager contact was saying for years. Tesco's capital spending is on refurbishment rather than new build. The irony would be if they refurbish Thurso's current biscuit tin of a Tesco and turn it into a small jewellery box. That would turn the Saxophone apoplectic. What would Highland Council say? Would they start courting Asda for the mart?
    How could they offer land which is owned by another party to Asda?
    It simply will not happen.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    How could they offer land which is owned by another party to Asda?
    By the power of witchcraft of course...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Tesco had plans to refurb many of their stores soon after Philip Clarke became CEO. But as Tesco had a poor Christmas turnover it was cancelled and that was after spending millions of pounds preparing each relevant store for a refurb, sending each store new signage, shelving and equipment needed for the refurb. Then to top it all Phillip Clarke says on the news last night. " We will not reduce prices as less money through the tills is less profit." But surely if Tesco reduced prices they'd get more customers through the till resulting in more profits. If Lidl and Aldi can give us cheap prices then surely the so called big ones can?.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Well i went into Tesco tonight for my usual shop and left with about £30 worth of stuff less than what i normally buy. Most prices had been hiked by as much as 50-80p (i.e. chicken kievs, were £2 each or 2 for £3.50, now on a special deal at £2.10 each or 2 for £4? what's special about that then?) so i just bought a few bits and left. Lidl supplemented the rest together with a regretful but necessary stop off at the Co-op for one item (price was good). Tesco better stop gouging the customers because it won't work for them for much longer.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    How could they offer land which is owned by another party to Asda?It simply will not happen.
    Courting is a slow gradual process which oftens begins while at least one party is still legally and ostensibly attached to a third or fourth party. Asda were shunned in Thurso by HC in favour of Tesco. First loves sometimes get back together when they realise they made a mistake in the first throes of lovemaking.
    Last edited by crayola; 08-Jun-14 at 00:43.

Courting is a slow gradual process which oftens begins while at least party is still legally and ostensibly attached to a third or fourth party. Asda were shunned in Thurso by HC in favour of Tesco. First loves sometimes get back together when they realise they made a mistake in the first throes of lovemaking.
    So what you are saying is that asda is thursos first love.But Thurso got tesco knocked up and subsequently married it?
    W.A.T.P.

Thurso and Tesco didn't get married. They live in squalor in a biscuit tin with a promise of something better from Tesco. HC can see that the tin is rusting rapidly and the jewellery box at the mart contains no wedding ring. In desperation they could go back to courting the suitor that they first thought could help them escape from the biscuit tin to a beautiful new home near Pennyland. There's no moral in this story. It's sleaze from beginning to end.

Thurso and Tesco didn't get married. They live in squalor in a biscuit tin with a promise of something better from Tesco. HC can see that the tin is rusting rapidly and the jewellery box at the mart contains no wedding ring. In desperation they could go back to courting the suitor that they first thought could help them escape from the biscuit tin to a beautiful new home near Pennyland. There's no moral in this story. It's sleaze from beginning to end.
    They could go back to their fort love but alas Tesco own the plot for the wod be marital home and that will not change plus HC have allowed Tesco control of a decent chink of the HC Pension therefore do not want a nasty common law divorce settlement
    W.A.T.P.

Tesco would have no use for the would-be marital home if it refurbishes its current biscuit store into a jewellery box. In which case it would be harder for it to resist HC efforts to repossess the site. HC could begin its wooing of Asda in parallel. And it could start to disinvest its pension fund from Tesco. Although desperate situations require desperate measures this could be viewed as a measured response by HC.

Tesco would have no use for the would-be marital home if it refurbishes its current biscuit store into a jewellery box. In which case it would be harder for it to resist HC efforts to repossess the site. HC could begin its wooing of Asda in parallel. And it could start to disinvest its pension fund from Tesco. Although desperate situations require desperate measures this could be viewed as a measured response by HC.
    And you think that Tesco would be daft enought not to have a clause in the sale that the land could not be sold to a competitor?
    W.A.T.P.

My business experience doesn't stretch to the ins and outs of how such an agreement would hold water if the council wanted to force them to sell. Could a compulsory purchase order be used here?

My business experience doesn't stretch to the ins and outs of how such an agreement would hold water if the council wanted to force them to sell. Could a compulsory purchase order be used here?
    Yes it could but could the HC afford to take on Tesco in court and would we, the locals be happy with our money being spent on QC,s etc?
    W.A.T.P.

Would it end up in a court with expensive QCs? I can't tell from the description of the appeal process in this link. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Bu...andotherorders

This Asda Tesco HC relationship sounds a bit salacious. Who's top, who's bottom and who's the bit on the side?