Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine-Dream View Post
    The LAST bastion of culture / community left in the UK!
    Lol! Never before have I seen Thurso described as such! Have you ever been to Staxigoe? You'll love it there.

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Lol! Never before have I seen Thurso described as such! Have you ever been to Staxigoe? You'll love it there.
    What cheek
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

It wasn't cheek Stack Rock. Well, it wasn't cheek towards Staxigoe, which is the centre of human civilization on this Earth.

That other place on the north coast has been suffering from retail envy ever since Wick won Tesco and the Retail Park....

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    It wasn't cheek Stack Rock. Well, it wasn't cheek towards Staxigoe, which is the centre of human civilization on this Earth.

That other place on the north coast has been suffering from retail envy ever since Wick won Tesco and the Retail Park....
    You're forgiven
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Quote Originally Posted by Stack Rock View Post
    You're forgiven
    Thank you. I talk and listen.

Can I offer some advice to someone who can't distinguish between Oxford and Reading or Swindon Town centres? Open your eyes when you look. If you'd chosen Bracknell instead of Oxford you might have made some sense. Anyways, which run-down local shop in Thurso do you have a vested interest in? What are your lunchtime closing hours, do you close at or before 5pm and which are your half days? Bringing sheepies back to the mart is a nice idea. Let them live long lives instead of making mincemeat of them.
    Last edited by crayola; 14-Dec-12 at 21:54.

I had a Tesco "Italian Stonebaked Margherita Pizza" when I (eventually) staggered home from the pub after my work tonight.

It was disgusting.
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 15-Dec-12 at 01:24.

Default Five years and still no Tesco

I hear Tesco have been tidying up the site in the hope that they will get another five years of dancing on Asda's grave. What's going to happen next? I predict nothing other than the Saxophone becoming louder and ever more atonal and ineffective. For once I hope I'm wrong but my hopes are like the Saxophone. Namely weak. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...o-17012013.htm

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I hear Tesco have been tidying up the site in the hope that they will get another five years of dancing on Asda's grave. What's going to happen next? I predict nothing other than the Saxophone becoming louder and ever more atonal and ineffective. For once I hope I'm wrong but my hopes are like the Saxophone. Namely weak. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...o-17012013.htm
    I'm afraid I have to agree with you crayola. At the end of the day money talks.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

There's a site a few streets away from where I live which Tesco bought with the intention of putting up a store and fuel station but due to objections from a nearby Shell filling station, (100 yds away), and Sainsbury's, (300 yds away), plus I believe traffic management issues, planning permission was rejected until it could be amended. The site sat as a pile of rubble for ten years until recently when building commenced on it. Perhaps the mart site may go the same way :-/

http://www.bellway.co.uk/new-homes/w...titherley-park

Does it matter that Thurso Community Council have said no to Tesco extension? The only thing that counts is what Highland Council say. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...n-31012013.htm

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Does it matter that Thurso Community Council have said no to Tesco extension? The only thing that counts is what Highland Council say. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...n-31012013.htm
    but is community councillor Don smith's interpretation right about the mood of the town, Tesco does not deserve another chance to build? Or is he talking rubbish?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Either way they win.If they get planning they will sit on it for the five years.If they don't get planning they can blame the council for the site remaining as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    but is community councillor Don smith's interpretation right about the mood of the town, Tesco does not deserve another chance to build? Or is he talking rubbish?
    You tell me Rheg. I've not been in touch with the mood for aeons. My fear is that mi16 is right and Tesco know it. That's why Gloria can pretend Tesco are happy for another supermarket chain to build on the mart site.

Apparently Highland Council will decide in mid May whether to extend Tesco's planning permission for three years. What will their decision be?

Today's meeting of the Highland Council North Planning Applications Committee was due to discuss Tesco's 'application to extend the lifespan of the consent [at Thurso Auction Mart] by 3 years'. Does anyone know what was decided at this meeting? Are Tesco still dancing or should 'Asda' and 'Tesco' be interchanged in the title of this thread?

You'll never talk alone!

This is an interesting website too. http://www.tescopoly.org/campaign/thurso-highland

Tesco are pooping themselves. They do not like competition. I cannot believe the amount of Tesco customers that have had an Asda home shopping delivery this week in Wick and surrounding areas.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    Tesco are pooping themselves. They do not like competition. I cannot believe the amount of Tesco customers that have had an Asda home shopping delivery this week in Wick and surrounding areas.
    To be fair, I cannot see the tiny loss of trade in the Wick area as being serious enough to make the Tesco powers that be defecate themselves.
    W.A.T.P.