Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

You underestimate the predatory nature of the large supermarkets at your peril. Tesco are on the back foot and Sainsbury's are on the up. They would happily open a large store anywhere they can take market share from Tesco. Thurso has a larger population than Wick and a reasonably large Sainsbury's or Asda in Thurso could potentially cripple Tesco's share of the market in the county. Thurso's Tesco is small and dingy and it wouldn't stand a chance against a new Sainsbury's that was only half the size of Tesco in Wick.

The population of Thurso might decline with Dounreay's demise but new opportunities in oil and marine energy will most likely prevent a total collapse.

A recent national survey of supermarket satisfaction put Tesco near the bottom. Waitrose were top as one would expect, and Sainsbury's were second if you exclude the online one. Even Asda and Morrison's came out much better than Tesco. The evidence from nationwide customer satisfaction and the novelty of a bright new Sainsbury's in Thurso would be a Tesco killer. And most Sainsbury's stores are much nicer than the vast majority of Tesco stores anyway.
    Last edited by crayola; 13-Oct-12 at 12:27.

Having had occasion to use both in various places Crayola, I'd agree that Sainsbury's are nicer places than Tesco's.

And Waitrose is nicer than all the others.

And Asda is far superior to the others.

Asda is opening in Tain next week. I'm going!
    Dream like you will live forever, Live like you'll die today

Quote Originally Posted by suth13 View Post
    And Asda is far superior to the others.
    Ha ha have you ever been in a Waitrose or Sainsbury's? A new Asda is fresh and clean but it's not in the same class.
    Last edited by crayola; 21-Oct-12 at 13:24.

One thing I don't like about Sainsbury's is that their Brand Match vouchers last only two weeks. I left my shopping at the till today because they wouldn't accept a £5 voucher. I gave them the choice of accepting it or getting nothing. They got nothing and some poor employee had to take my shopping back to the shelves. I went to Tesco instead and I made the mistake of buying a couple of rubber rump steaks there. Shoulda gone to Waitrose.
    Last edited by crayola; 04-Nov-12 at 01:37.

What a shame. If you were living in Caithness you'd be buying quality meat/fish etc, at local shops.

I feel your pain though.

There is neither a butcher nor a fishmonger within walking distance of my temporary presence on planet Earth. Happy Black Friday Everyone! Walmart love you all.

Have seen a bit of action at tesco mart site. There has been people in hi viz jackets measuring the site and taking video recordings and doing more sample digs. Anyone know why? Potential new buyer?

Could it be Tesco doing some work in preparation for their application to Highland Council to do nothing with the mart site for another three years? The Saxophone is still blowing hot and cold over the issue. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...y-23112012.htm

whats everyones views about the plans of the new tescos ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    whats everyones views about the plans of the new tescos ??
    Do you have a link to these new plans?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Who mentioned new plans?

People from Tesco HQ in the Thurso store tonight looking for the public view. Should they build, extend the planning permission or sell the land. Did not appreciate me saying sell the land to ASDA or my other comment get rid of the concrete field and replace it with a grass one and take away the fencePeople from Tesco HQ in the Thurso store tonight looking for the public view. Should they build, extend the planning permission or sell the land. Did not appreciate me saying sell the land to ASDA or my other comment get rid of the concrete field and replace it with a grass one and take away the fence

Don't Know what happen to my post above belief me I was not repeating myself

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Do you have a link to these new plans?
    sorry i dont

Asda Tain now do home delivery covering Dingwall to the Black Isle and as far north as Helmsdale for the time being. From next spring or sooner they will be delivering to Wick and Thurso. If anyone would like Asda home shopping deliveries and have friends or relatives within the Asda delivery area and do not mind travelling to collect they will be happy to meet up with you.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...t-28112012.htm
    Tesco wants to retain planning permission for a new supermarket in Thurso, but remains undecided if it actually wants to build one.The supermarket giant maintains it has not made a final decision on the future of its proposed development of the town’s former auction site despite applying to renew its existing consent, which runs out in January.
    the quote above is from Tesco as published in the local press. Should Highland Council grant Tesco another three years to make up their minds to do nothing with the old mart site? What does everyone think?

Default Gloria you're always on the run now

Corporate manager Gloria Coates told the Caithness Courier no date had been announced for a final decision."We are genuinely considering two options for the site, either selling the site or building a new supermarket," she said."This hasn’t been decided yet but it is currently being looked at and obviously if we are going to consider building a new supermarket, we will have to renew our planning application at the site as the consent expires in less than two months."Obviously we are hopeful that planning permission will be granted. What we’re trying to do is ensure our best chance for development at the site, whether that is by us or someone else."
    Why on earth would Tesco ensure that 'someone else' would have the chance to develop the mart? Would that 'someone else' include Asda or Sainsbury's?