Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Noble View Post
    In one respect absolutely none, both are illegal, unless permission has been obtained.
    In every respect, both are grafitti

All grafitti is art but not all art is grafitti.
    I think Roger saxon may have done Thurso a favour in stopping Asda developing at Pennyland. Thurso deserves all that open space around one of the most scenic views in the whole universe and one that continually changes with the weather. I'll still not vote for him though because when I questioned him about the Gaelicisation of Caithness he said he didnt care if it was Latinised. I felt like I had been mauled by a sheep but the chap has a sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    .... Thurso deserves all that open space around one of the most scenic views in the whole universe ....
    So you're very familiar with the whole of the Universe then?
    I personally think the view of the "Great Marsh Of Salgoth" from the hill of "Sagothview" in the city of "Granithle" on the planet "Frell" to be a far superior view.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    So.... Tesco have finally admitted that they aren't going to build on the mart site in Thurso. They have been land banking to keep Asda out. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...e-25042012.htm Remember that Roger Saxon is directly responsible for this mess before you cast your local council votes next week.
    Well Well Crayola you have a short memory.Wasn,t a certain Cllr Mackay also involved in the Asda decision but you must have voted for him in the last election as he polled the most votes.
    Never failsc to amaze me how Graeme Sm,ithy got all the blame when all he did was put his casting vote with the three Thurso members

Donnie Mackay voted against Asda but unlike Roger Saxon, Donnie isn't standing in next week's election. I agree that the baldy man (a.k.a. Gregor Fisher) isn't the major culprit in the Asda fiasco. But Roger Saxon was. Roger caused the present Tesco fiasco. There's a wee Sinclair boy from Wick who's standing. Will his mum let him skip school to attend council meetings if he's elected? He could buy his sweeties from Wick Tesco before he gets on the train to the big city for council meetings. Which is more than a Thurso boy can do at the mart.
    Last edited by crayola; 27-Apr-12 at 20:34.

Donnie Mackay voted against Asda but unlike Roger Saxon, Donnie isn't standing in next week's election.
    Do you know something that Donnie Mackay doesn't?

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...t-26042012.htm

Oops. Thanks Nick for putting me right. Donnie's picture isn't on the front page of the Org and I assumed he wasn't standing. Thanks to Eilanboy also. Can I now say that Roger Saxon and Donnie Mackay are responsible for the Tesco mart mess?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    All grafitti is art but not all art is grafitti.I think Roger saxon may have done Thurso a favour in stopping Asda developing at Pennyland. Thurso deserves all that open space around one of the most scenic views in the whole universe and one that continually changes with the weather. I'll still not vote for him though because when I questioned him about the Gaelicisation of Caithness he said he didnt care if it was Latinised. I felt like I had been mauled by a sheep but the chap has a sense of humour.
    I agree with some aspects of your post gleeber. Asda would have been better situated near BT but that wasn't on offer and the degree to which the amenity would have been ruined is usually exaggerated. Roger Saxon and Donnie Mackay were at best inept. But in reality they were incompetent. They still are. Asda knew the mart was inappropriate due to its proximity to two schools in addition to the traffic problems and the slope. That's why I was convinced early on that Tesco were land banking. A more interesting question is whether Asda tricked Tesco info buying a site that neither organisation wanted. Was the mart project doomed even before Tesco brought their commercial sledgehammer into play? From what I read from them on the Org I would vote for Nick and for John Rosie.
    Last edited by crayola; 29-Apr-12 at 22:47.

Oops. Thanks Nick for putting me right. Donnie's picture isn't on the front page of the Org and I assumed he wasn't standing. Thanks to Eilanboy also. Can I now say that Roger Saxon and Donnie Mackay are responsible for the Tesco mart mess?
    Donnie Mackay has declined the offer of space on caithness.org to put up his election blurb and that is why there is no photo on the front page.

Thanks for the explanation Bill. Don't forget to vote today everyone. And remember that Roger Saxon and Donnie Mackay voted against ASDA in Thurso when they were members of the last Highland Council.

I would like to congratulate councillors Donnie Mackay and Roger Saxon for once again outwitting the Thurso electorate. I look forward to an exquisite shopping experience in Ormlie Road next year.

there is not going to a tesco there

I went pass the building site at tain last week which is the start of asda

Yes this was just to keep asda out and in my opinion I would love an asda up here maybe then there would be a bit more competition on their pricing

I drove past the Site in Ormlie Road and I see that all the Piles of Rubble have gone. Does this mean that Tesco are planning to start work or is it just another ploy?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

My senior Tesco source has run dry. Has anything happened on the Mart site since they cleared it in June? Has Roger Saxon started digging foundations with his bare hands?

Apparently Tesco have sold the site back to the original owner. Whether it is true or not, i am unable to verify, but i trust the person i was speaking to

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Apparently Tesco have sold the site back to the original owner. Whether it is true or not, i am unable to verify, but i trust the person i was speaking to
    The 'development' company or the Mart owners?

Unless it's happened in the last 3 months, info taken from the land registry says the mart site was last sold 14/5/10 for £3,917,580 (Santon Group developments).

Prior to this, it was sold 9/4/08 for £3,583,750 (Santon Retail Limited).

£1,292,500 25/7/06.

£270,016 25/3/04 (Ua Group PLC).

I wish my house price had increased 1400% since 2004.............. amazing what a bit of supermarket competition can do.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

If Tesco have really sold the Mart site, does that mean we're back to square one or might some other supermarket or retail outfit be interested? Sainsbury's are still expanding but isn't the Inverness area a bigger target to get your foot in the door?

Tesco are not interested in the mart site as they have seen how poor the Wick branch performs in relation to it's size so why would they consider doing another which would make Wick even worse, they badly overestimated the size of store for Wick and something half the size would of been more like it, i very much doubt any supermarket is looking to move in on Thurso or Caithness on a whole, the outlook for the county is it's population will start to rapidly decline along with the Dounreay run down, as the jobs vanish people will move on and there is nothing to replace it apart from a couple of local firms bucking the trend of a recession.
    If ever there was a town that has no need for a fourth supermarket it has to be Thurso, get over it and use what is here, the 3 that is here are going to struggle as it is when the population of Thurso and Wick drops to about half of what they are now as Dounreay enters it's final years.