Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Tesco will have detailed designs for their store at the former mart but they can sit on them for years if we let them. They have done already......
    Lets just face facts here, unless the English Govt announce a new Nuclear Power Station or something that will bring folk to live here then Thurso is going to die a death, honestly, would you put any of your money into Thurso?
    Tesco are hedging their bets and hanging on to the site and wont let anyone else have it at any cost, that doesn't mean they are going to develop it. Maybe they are hanging on to it until after the Independence vote, if we are still stuck with the English Govt they will sell, if we get Independence and jobs come flooding North they might develop. That makes good business sense as the SNP won't want to keep the far North a wilderness as it is now. If we don't get Independence then we are left with a few rich crofters and a steady stream of English Wannabee Crofter Pensioners and we will soon die.
    Independence is the only answer for every Nationality in Scotland basically because Westminster does not give a Poo about us!!! It's up to you, is Scotland your home or not?

C3...................

The English do not have a government
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    The English do not have a government
    I beg to differ John!!!! The English have a very fine Govt that looks after the South East of England, it's just a shame they cant see any further than a 50 mile radius!!!

C3..................

Well there appears to be a large number of Scots,Welsh and Irish people in it who have a vote. It's the British government C3 however much you may wish otherwise.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Lets just face facts here, unless the English Govt announce a new Nuclear Power Station or something that will bring folk to live here then Thurso is going to die a death, honestly, would you put any of your money into Thurso?
    Tesco are hedging their bets and hanging on to the site and wont let anyone else have it at any cost, that doesn't mean they are going to develop it. Maybe they are hanging on to it until after the Independence vote, if we are still stuck with the English Govt they will sell, if we get Independence and jobs come flooding North they might develop. That makes good business sense as the SNP won't want to keep the far North a wilderness as it is now. If we don't get Independence then we are left with a few rich crofters and a steady stream of English Wannabee Crofter Pensioners and we will soon die.
    Independence is the only answer for every Nationality in Scotland basically because Westminster does not give a Poo about us!!! It's up to you, is Scotland your home or not?

C3...................
    What is stopping the SNP from flooding the north with jobs now?

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    What is stopping the SNP from flooding the north with jobs now?
    Err, the English Govt Duke!!!! If our taxes are heading South how can we get a grip on our future? I would have thought that would have been obvious!
    Once we are in control of our own future the whole of Scotland will be utilised and the Far North will have a very important part to play!!

C3...............

Err, the English Govt Duke!!!! If our taxes are heading South how can we get a grip on our future? I would have thought that would have been obvious!
    Once we are in control of our own future the whole of Scotland will be utilised and the Far North will have a very important part to play!!

C3...............
    Wow! I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Wow! I can't wait.
    And if it's not for you then you can always catch the last bus down South!!!

C3.......................

Once we are in control of our own future the whole of Scotland will be utilised and the Far North will have a very important part to play!!C3.
    Whoopee Scotland is going to become a one party state, now what country does that bring to mind? ...........Oh aye Zimbawe, and what is their leaders name again?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

And if it's not for you then you can always catch the last bus down South!!!

C3.......................
    Why would I do that? I am a citizen of the United Kingdom and will always be. Are you suggesting that ethnic cleansing will be the order of the day? That is not your first comment of this nature. Showing your true agenda?

Trying to politicise this issue into another independence thread is utterly irrelevant to the issue. Regardless of whatever party or the status of Scotland there is only one thing that is happening here, Tesco have land banked the site to prevent another supermarket from using that site or setting up in the area by way of the planning permission they have been granted by, what in my opinion appears to be, their nobbled mates in the council.

What the concerned peeps of Thirsa need to decided is, do they want a supermarket or the land released for some other cause, or a third option of Tesco develop it for housing or other use.
    Bearing in mind that unless there is a major influx of people to the county and Thirsa doubles (at least) its population, you ain't getting another shiny new Tesco's.
    I can't see any other development opportunity that would suit Tesco so the only real option is to get them to release it for another use.

But in reality, I doubt anything will happen other than periodic (after public outcry / council pressure) replacement / repair of fencing and every 5 years or so an amendment to the planning application.

Your best bet would be to get in touch with Walmart and see what help they can give you! (but the cooncil will thwart anything they try)

You have hit the nail firmly on the head there Phill, that site will stand empty these many years as Tesco will not develop or sell and I doubt The Highland Council would ever consider compulsary purchase as they have neither the resources or the will, that's if they even know where Thurso is, any thing north of The Kessock Bridge seems to be marker "Here there be dragons," on their maps!

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    You have hit the nail firmly on the head there Phill, that site will stand empty these many years as Tesco will not develop or sell and I doubt The Highland Council would ever consider compulsary purchase as they have neither the resources or the will, that's if they even know where Thurso is, any thing north of The Kessock Bridge seems to be marker "Here there be dragons," on their maps!
    If I get elected they will most certainly learn where Thurso is, because a large fierce fire breathing dragon will be amongst them. I cannot understand why they don't know now, we have had councillors down there for years, maybe not making quite enough noise to wake them from their slumbers.

I'm not promising that things will happen instantly, but they will happen. Big organisations, be they councils or corporations are just like horses and cows, they do not like little buzzing flies nipping at there sensitive skins. They will do almost anything to stop the irritation, it's just a question of knowing where to nip...

I'm still a floating voter Nick but I have to say your last post has really caught my attention. You need to get that message out to more people than look at posts on the org and you could be in there.
    On a side issue and not too far removed from the Tesco carry on did you read this in the Groat recently? http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...o-19042012.htm"]
    If thats the case and Banksy has left his mark would it be prudent of the town to protect the artwork from the elements? If it's not by Banksy then its an excellent fake and still worth protecting. It could become a tourist attraction and when Im at it have you got an opinion on the lack of facilities for surfers at Thurso East or even Thurso Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    .... have you got an opinion on the lack of facilities for surfers at Thurso East or even Thurso Beach?
    Plenty of wavy water there.... What more do they need?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I'm still a floating voter Nick but I have to say your last post has really caught my attention. You need to get that message out to more people than look at posts on the org and you could be in there.
    On a side issue and not too far removed from the Tesco carry on did you read this in the Groat recently? http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...o-19042012.htm"]
    If thats the case and Banksy has left his mark would it be prudent of the town to protect the artwork from the elements? If it's not by Banksy then its an excellent fake and still worth protecting. It could become a tourist attraction and when Im at it have you got an opinion on the lack of facilities for surfers at Thurso East or even Thurso Beach?
    Hi Gleeber - I'm trying very hard to get the message out to everyone, there's a lot of doors in Thurso! Do feel free to share that paragraph with anyone you speak to.

I've certainly seen the piece about the "banksy" artwork, and must say I personally love it. However I really don't believe anyone should interfere with an artists work. Whether it is a genuine banksy or not if the artist wanted to create an artwork to last forever then I am sure they would have created it in such a way that it would do so. It will live forever in the minds of those that see it, and will be captured by many in photographs, but then time and the elements will do with it as they will, as I am sure the artist intended. I am equally sure there will be many that decry it as graffiti and wish to have it painted over as soon as possible, again that will happen when it happens which the artist will be well aware of.

As to facilities for surfers, I would love to see the proposed development at the harbour come to fruition. I believe that the tourism industry in Caithness is woefully under developed and must be looked at as a matter of urgency. Surfing, windsurfing, kayaking are all sports that could bring significant income to the area. If elected I would be very keen to work with any interested groups to try and bring this sort of facility to the town.

I would argue that the artists intentions about the future of the work is no longer his copyright seeing as he used a canvas belonging to the town and with no permission. That being said at least you have an opinion and are not afraid to raise it in the cauldron of the org.

what difference is there between this "artists" work and the work of the "artist" who spray painted the all star factory?

In one respect absolutely none, both are illegal, unless permission has been obtained.

So.... Tesco have finally admitted that they aren't going to build on the mart site in Thurso. They have been land banking to keep Asda out. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...e-25042012.htm Remember that Roger Saxon is directly responsible for this mess before you cast your local council votes next week.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast