Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I've changed my mind about siting Asda at Pennyland. It was bad politics by Asda and their supporters because they were bound to get a lot of objections. If they'd applied to build it just past Manpower you would probably be shopping there now.
    Eh! where were you when this was going on? there was overwhelming support!, Very roughly is was: Councillor Smith (Wick) had the deciding vote and voted against, so a whole council meeting took a vote and it was passed, but then Scottish Reporter stuck her oar in and decided against it.. there were not a lot of objections

Asda wanted to build on the field between the bottom of Pennyland and the A836 next to Pennyland Farm. It was part of the green belt and would have spoiled the amenity of the area.

Ormlie Road is brown field and has been unused since the Mart closed. There are a lot of arguments against Ormlie too: it's a busy road already, the junction with Castlegreen road is already busy, it's next to Thurso High School and Miller Academy and there are allegedly issues over the land being contaminated. The slope won't help and it will again spoil the amenity. There may be more reasons....

Then there are claims about the council having their hands in Tesco's pockets or was it vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    How do these ridiculous rumurs get around?
    I rest my case
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Eh! where were you when this was going on? there was overwhelming support!, Very roughly is was: Councillor Smith (Wick) had the deciding vote and voted against, so a whole council meeting took a vote and it was passed, but then Scottish Reporter stuck her oar in and decided against it.. there were not a lot of objections
    The whole of the bottom of Pennyland estate was against it as were many in the Burnside estates and it was against the local plan. The politics was a long shot and they lost. Or hadn't you noticed?

It's a complex issue whether or not you appreciate that.

Crayola: 'Asda wanted to build on the field between the bottom of Pennyland and the A836 next to Pennyland Farm. It was part of the green belt and would have spoiled the amenity of the area.'

Seems it was ok for an Hotel then?

(sorry if this is too 'complex' for me)

What hotel?

There's no point in bringing back straw men even if they're in the local plan. You will get precisely nowhere by doing that. Just as the Asda for Pennyland supporters did.

To win planning permission for such a large project you need either a clear route or some political tanks to clear the route. Or you need an alternative route. The Asda Pennyland tanks were displaced by some Thurso councillors plus Mr Smith and once damaged were stopped by the reporter. As far as I can see Asda weren't interested in an alternative route for reasons that are beyond me and their powerful supporters didn't have a Plan B. It doesn't surprise me that such a naive plan failed.

What hotel?

There's no point in bringing back straw men even if they're in the local plan. You will get precisely nowhere by doing that. Just as the Asda for Pennyland supporters did.

To win planning permission for such a large project you need either a clear route or some political tanks to clear the route. Or you need an alternative route. The Asda Pennyland tanks were displaced by some Thurso councillors plus Mr Smith and once damaged were stopped by the reporter. As far as I can see Asda weren't interested in an alternative route for reasons that are beyond me and their powerful supporters didn't have a Plan B. It doesn't surprise me that such a naive plan failed.
    Hotel: anyone who wants to go there (see local plan)..

I must contact ASDA and tell 'm they are naive, opps feel a 31st Poll is coming on

You are still blaming the wrong people and trying to fight lost battles.

Asda's Plan A had many obstacles in its path and no Plan B was evident. Making personal comments about me won't get you a shiny new supermarket.

I am sure Asda knew what they were doing but did their supporters?

If Asda wanted a store up here they would have one.

My guess is now they, and tesco, have seen just what the market share is, i.e. not a lot.They have both gone away to reconsider their positions.
    I don't think the tills at Wick tesco are ringing as often and as loud as they expected.

Tesco's know that another superstore in Thurso will only detract from Wick's takings without bringing in an awful lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    If Asda wanted a store up here they would have one.
    I suspect you're right and that's what I was pushing in my previous posts.

If I were in charge of Asda I too would put most of my effort into getting into the Inverness area first.

It's complex issues again.
    Last edited by crayola; 31-Jan-10 at 15:44.

If I were in charge of Asda I too would put most of my effort into getting into the Inverness area first.
    I dunno what Asda/Walmart's objectives are but they are not daft. I also get a little whiff of something iffy with HC & Tesco, but that is an aside, however the Leeds mob will know a lot more about it than us.

There is a lot of game playing going on with the big outfits like these, so they may well just be testing the ground and or ruffling Tesco's feathers.

How they want to achieve their market share could be different from tesco's. Mr T seems to be interested in new build and new locations.

Mr W has very cleverly used the pre planned oversizing of stores to very good effect and increased floor sales area at many of it's existing sites.

It's complex issues again.
    Nah, I'm right, simple.

asda are trying to get into tain

ASDA are part of the most foul, evil and corrupt empire in retail history. They care not one jot for their staff nor the people who produce the goods they sell.

Of course you will all happily overlook that to save a few pence?

Caithness already has more supermarkets that it can sustain.

A market war between these giants really would put the final nail in the coffin for many local retailers.

Of course a lot of the loudest voices in the pro lobby are from people who would not know any of the local retailers; those who arrived in Caithness lately and decided they should have all the amenities they had south, with no consideration for the impact on the local traders.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Of course a lot of the loudest voices in the pro lobby are from people who would not know any of the local retailers; those who arrived in Caithness lately and decided they should have all the amenities they had south, with no consideration for the impact on the local traders.

Interesting you say that. Being an engerlish incomer type I moved up here because I loved what it had to offer, without the superstores.
    I didn't like the idea of the retail park or Tesco's, hypocritically I use both, but I would have been just as happy without.

I hear, and heard before, many Caithness folk say how the county needed it.

What I am very cautious and worried about (and the council really do need to go south and see what has happened elsewhere to understand) is the pitfall of going retail crazy.
    Another retail park has been mentioned on more airport land, a supermarket in Thurso. What next, another retail park in Thurso too

But what then happens is you have a number of failing retail parks and stores, half occupied units with the rest falling into disrepair and it then becomes a catch 22. Add to that a High street of boarded up shops and valueless property with vandalism and crime on the rise.

I for one do not want all the amenities (and crap that goes with them) from the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    ASDA are part of the most foul, evil and corrupt empire in retail history. They care not one jot for their staff nor the people who produce the goods they sell.
    Can I ask have you ever worked in a Supermarket? I have. In both Sainsburys and ASDA, and may I suggest your talking though the provebial hole in your backside. Asda treats its staff the same as most supermarkets do, your not highly paid, you get a corporate uniform, sadly no overtime except under extreme circumstances, subsidised canteen, a bonus every year. not a lot,but many staff enjoy working for Asda I know I did.
    Tell me any Retail store that really cares for the people that produce the goods they sell if you can.
    Last edited by golach; 31-Jan-10 at 17:25.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Are you not glad you do not live in Bristol, Tesco city?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22005770/
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    ....... may I suggest your talking though the provebial hole in your backside. Asda treats its staff the same as most supermarkets do, your not highly paid, you get a corporate uniform, sadly no overtime except under extreme circumstances, subsidised canteen, a bonus every year.
    I was contracted to Asda/Walmart and spent 6 months at Asda House, what an eye opener!

I have to agree with BB!

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I for one do not want all the amenities (and crap that goes with them) from the south.
    Hear, hear!

I really do not understand people who move to Caithness to 'get away from it all' and then moan about the lack of facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Can I ask have you ever worked in a Supermarket? I have. In both Sainsburys and ASDA, and may I suggest your talking though the provebial hole in your backside.
    Did you deliberately miss the question mark there?

I am deeply offended.

Inverness is also truly a Tesco town, and being a small place you really notice it.

I have not worked in a supermarket. (Regrets, I’ve had a few . . . but that ain’t one of ‘em!)

Guilty as charged for absorbing my information objectively.

Should I desist from tapping into collective knowledge and experience, such as that of the many whose suffering at the receiving end of the evil empire that is Wal-Mart is widely recorded, legally as well as anecdotally?

I will, if you no longer remark on anything you have no first hand knowledge of.

Deal?

As far as the issue of ethical shopping goes, it seems to be quite simple . . . but of course may not be.

Try to buy locally, in terms of the business you buy from and the source of the goods. Further research might be advisable when it comes to animal products.

Avoid supermarkets where possible, but if you really need to use them work out the best bet ethically. There is a lot of research available at the click of yer fair trade mouse pointing out the best and worst.

Guess which end of the scale Wal-Mart puts through the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    asda are trying to get into tain
    There is already an Asda in tain Has been for a while.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast