Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Default Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time?

Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.
    Yes but it is a common business tactic of Tescos to buy up land and not build until another Supermarket threatens to

Tescos have a reputation of buying land to stop compeditors buying and building on it.

They sure do. Bought land here where I am just now, massive site, apparently to build a super store, but we already have a large tesco round the corner.... The site had a super bowl etc. on it, all forced to close, now been vacant for several years....
    I don't think they will ever build there but tried to stop Somerfield.... it was in the local paper that they put in for some outrageous planning permission and it was suggested that they want to stretch the planning process out as long as possible. The Tesco round the corner is not exactly small and suits quite well for the size of town, also there is a super store larger than Wick just 20 minutes from here...
    However, we don't have a Somerfield here at all, as they can't find a suitable site.

I dont want to start rumors. But the store that is meant to be built at the mart will only have groceries and electrical. Not clothing.

But then, the old store over beside the Park hotel, will be changed into flats or another business to prevent another supermarket coming in.

But dont take my word!!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Ha, that's exactly what they are doing here.
    Part of their plannning application is to rip the old site down (it's not old though...) and build housing. Now thats very unlikely to be granted in the next 10 years or so... as the local plan doesn't allow for such changes.

If they really wanted to build on the new site they could just rent out the old site to a company that doesn't belong to the competition, like a storage warehouse type thing or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    I dont want to start rumors.
    .....well this is Caithness!

I found this on the Highland Council's Weekly Planning Applications list....
    Thurso
    Ward-02
    Ref Number 08/00494/REMCA Application Type Approval of Reserved Matters
    Validation Date 13/11/2008 Grid Reference 311157 967763
    Description of Works Erection of retail store,
    Location of Works Thurso Auction Mart, Ormlie Road, Thurso, Highland, ,
    Community Council Thurso Community Council
    Applicant Name Santon Retail Limited
    Applicant Address Tesco Stores Limited, Per Agent
    Case Officer Iain Ewart
    (01955) 607757
    iain.ewart@highland.gov.uk

I don't know what the outcome was and I haven't been able to find anything more recent on the web.

Seems this Tesco thread might keep going - must admit wondered when they would start the building work, but present economic climate ain't that good at the moment.. just a refresh from last year- obviously we all now know Tesco got the site, so time will tell when they eventually start..

10-Apr-08, 14:19
    Tesco Does Have The Mart Hi Folks I've been sitting on this for a while since 27th March/4th April 08 but just had this email in from Douglas Wilson Corporate Affairs Manager, Scotland and Northern Ireland (Tesco)

Dear [Bekisman] "We are issuing a press release today [10th April] so please feel free to post this info on [the] website."

"to confirm our conversation, we have purchased the Auction Mart site in Thurso.. we are actively pursuing a development on the site and hope to be in a position to discuss this further with local councillors and the wider Thurso community in the near future" regards Doug

Douglas Wilson
    Corporate Affairs Manager
    Scotland and Northern Ireland

(I asked if this was confidential and he came back with the proviso; "I would appreciate a degree of confidentially for perhaps the next few weeks"..)
    Bit of history to show that these big conglomerates are approachable.. I
    emailed Sir Terry Leahy at Tesco on 27th March 08 and asked if they had purchased the site and were they going to sit on it? (which not a few on the Org thought!) at 16.47 I got a reply from Anna Margot the Chief Executive's Office who said she had forwarded my email onto Nick Gellatly; Corporate Affairs Manager for the Thurso area.

On the 4th April at 11.21 had a phone call from Douglas Wilson, Corporate Affairs Manager, Scotland and Northern Ireland and he told me that yes, they have purchased the Mart site in Thurso, and no, they will not just 'sit' on it, and are building a 30,000 square foot store plus fuel outlet. They are not sure at the moment what to do with the smaller Tesco/Somerfield store but will probably be sublet..
    He asked if I would like him to send me a confirmation email I said yes and at 11.55 on the 4th April he sent the one above..

Default asda

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time?
    hi i was told that tesco had bought the land but had rented it to asda
    c jones

Talking

Tesco rent to Asda? I take it you are having a wee joke, or extracting the wee??

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    I dont want to start rumors. But the store that is meant to be built at the mart will only have groceries and electrical. Not clothing.

But then, the old store over beside the Park hotel, will be changed into flats or another business to prevent another supermarket coming in.

But dont take my word!!
    i heard some time ago that travel lodge had been quite interested in the tesco site...dont know if there was anything in it......but just like everything else its all speculation.....i personally reckon it will be like when they built in wick...nothing but speculation for months then voila suddenly in go the bulldozer an 8mth later tesco appears...if it happens it happens....
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by cezzy1234 View Post
    I dispair, I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by cezzy1234 View Post
    That shall never happen. How do these ridiculous rumurs get around?
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Should I assume from the above that nothing has happened on-site at the mart and that no-one has any first-hand knowledge of what the present state of play is?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Should I assume from the above that nothing has happened on-site at the mart and that no-one has any first-hand knowledge of what the present state of play is?

Yes. And I suppose the same goes for ASDA.

Thanks tonkatojo. I can't see Asda entering the fray again unless Tesco sit on the mart site for a few years more.

I find it amusing that the main advertisement you see on this page before you log in is for Sainsbury's.

OH has heard a fairly strong rumour that Tesco are attempting to do a deal with Thurso High School to buy that land as well and build a new, bigger school for Thurso elsewhere in the town - possibly on the site of the current Tesco?

You couldn't build a bigger school on the site of the current Tesco because there isn't enough space. You could do it if you built the school on the Millbank playing fields so why would Tesco not keep it simple and just build their new superstore there? Would it be easier to get planning permission for a school at Millbank than a superstore there?

Anyways, a new school would surely cost way more than a new superstore. Why would Tesco want to suffer the expense?
    Last edited by crayola; 21-Jun-09 at 16:02.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast